N/A Distance From Home

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Yesterday I went North about 7000',
My distance traveled is showing,
However distance from home showed N/A.
Any thoughts ??

The distance from home is the 7142.2 figure shown....the N/A is where info from the visual positioning system would show.

Now Im confused,
I thought the distance showing was the total distance traveled and the N/A was distance from the home point ??

The top two figures show the height and distance you're at relative to the home point, and where the N/A symbol is will show information when you're flying using the VP mode.

One is distance from home and one is distance from controller if your mobile device has GPS. Once you get low enough to the ground, if VPS is enabled the distance from controller will switch to show that VPS is engaged and the altitude seen by the VPS system.

Understood,
Thank you,
I don't know how I got that so wrong.
So, if you take off 10' from where you're standing both those numbers should be the same ??
Seems like mine are 300' / 400' different when both are reading.

One is distance from home and one is distance from controller if your mobile device has GPS. Once you get low enough to the ground, if VPS is enabled the distance from controller will switch to show that VPS is engaged and the altitude seen by the VPS system.

I need to make sure my GPS on the ipad is on, if off Im assuming thats why I got the N/A ??

I need to make sure my GPS on the ipad is on, if off Im assuming thats why I got the N/A ??
If you have a GPS enabled (cellular) ipad, the GPS should always be on as far as I know. I haven't heard of anyone turning their ipad GPS on or off, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. Someone who knows more will have to chime in on that part.

If you have a wifi only iPad, it doesn't have GPS so you will not see a distance from controller.

Hmm,
I've seen the distance from controller in the past, yesterday it was N/A,
Yesterday I set the ipad to "airplane mode" when flying...I bet that was it.
Either way I now fully understand what I'm looking at,
Thank you :)

If you have a GPS enabled (cellular) ipad, the GPS should always be on as far as I know. I haven't heard of anyone turning their ipad GPS on or off, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. Someone who knows more will have to chime in on that part.

If you have a wifi only iPad, it doesn't have GPS so you will not see a distance from controller.
GPS on the iPad has got nothing to do with it.......the distance from the controller is transmitted by the lightbridge system built in to the controller and the Phantom. You will always have that information regardless of whether you have a cellular or non cellular pad.
Maybe reading the manual would make things more clear.

The distance from the home point, since technically you could walk 100 yards from the HP and your bird would have no idea that you did.

Understood,
Makes perfect sense now.
I guess for some reason yesterday they weren't talking.

Hey guys,
Yesterday I went North about 7000',
My distance traveled is showing,
However distance from home showed N/A.
Any thoughts ??
GreggC, my app shows the sat view where yours shows radar, plus u have the app view as well, what setting am i missing cause i would love to fly with radar & sat view

GPS on the iPad has got nothing to do with it.......the distance from the controller is transmitted by the lightbridge system built in to the controller and the Phantom. You will always have that information regardless of whether you have a cellular or non cellular pad.
Maybe reading the manual would make things more clear.
With respect sir, you are not correct. The P3 sets its homepoint at take off, and then transmits its distance from the homepoint via lightbridge. That is one of the two distances seen on the app.

If there is no GPS at the controller, there is no way for the P3 to know where the controller is located, so functionalities such as follow me and showing distance from controller will not work.

Distance from the homepoint will of course still work without GPS enabled on your mobile device, and that allows RTH to work.

Did that clear it up for you?

GreggC, my app shows the sat view where yours shows radar, plus u have the app view as well, what setting am i missing cause i would love to fly with radar & sat view

I believe you can move the sat view to reveal the radar view.

You're still not getting it.....The N/A
The distance from the home point, since technically you could walk 100 yards from the HP and your bird would have no idea that you did.
Understood,
Makes perfect sense now.
I guess for some reason yesterday they weren't talking.
They were talking....the 7142.2 figure is how far the craft said it was from the home point!
The N/A information is only displayed when you're flying with the VPS system working and you're close to the ground...like flying inside a barn or a hall for example. Crazy as it sounds, reading the manual might be good!:):)

You're still not getting it.....The N/A

They were talking....the 7142.2 figure is how far the craft said it was from the home point!
The N/A information is only displayed when you're flying with the VPS system working and you're close to the ground...like flying inside a barn or a hall for example. Crazy as it sounds, reading the manual might be good!:):)
Sir, maybe these photos will help you to understand so can stop insisting that those who do understand should read the manual.

In these photos, notice that the distance from homepoint is not changing as the controller moves away from the Phantom because the Phantom is not moving so it hasn't traveled anywhere. The distance from the controller however is changing (2.5M to 17.6M) as the controller moves away from the Phantom. This works when the mobile device attached to the controller has GPS. Note of course that in this particular case, VPS is disabled or it would be showing the VPS data instead.

Credit to @Meta4 for the photos from the Saturday thread on this same topic.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bbfpv

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20