Myanmar - aggressive Burmese crows swarm my drone

Reaction score
Bagan, Myanmar

The Myanmar National Police were more receptive to my drone flights than a flock of crows.

I launched from a small temple soon after a sunrise. I was heading out towards a larger temple with hot air balloons in the distance when my Phantom was swarmed by crows. At first I thought my flight trajectory coincided with theirs, but I soon realized it was intentional because the crows were not happy about the intruder.

As they swarmed around the Phantom, getting more and more aggressive, I decreased my altitude to shorten the drop if a crow took out a prop. Then I went full burner home towards the LZ, with the crows hot on my 6. I'm glad I was close because the crows didn't quit until I brought her in close to the top of the temple where a bunch of humans were.

If it was a longer distance it might have ended Crows 1, Clipper 0.

As an added bonus, turns out my friend captured the swarming from a 3rd Person View with my camera. Her narrative is fun because she was recovering from a respiratory illness, so laughing was making her choke, all while giving a running commentary.

Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2cEnuAPzHg

That is priceless video.

Great job, great assistant. :lol:

I wonder if the Burmese Police hired them... :eek:

Hi,

Just to confirm that is it alright to bring my DJI phantom to myanmar?

thanks,
babyhee

babyhee,

I considered it an acceptable risk. There are signs at Yangon International Airport stating RC Aircraft are not allowed. I flew into Yangon three times in November and never had a problem. My drone backpack was x-rayed for departures and arrivals, but never opened. No questions at all. I had several crisp hundred dollar bills ready to help sway decisions, but never needed to go that route.

I also had an encounter with National Police in Bagan, that turned out to be a positive, happy experience. I recounted most of these on other posts in this forum.

Good luck and happy flying! Myanmar is awesome for drone videos.

Based on my experience, I think you won't have any problems. Except maybe with the crows.

Have a great trip! Share your videos with us. I will, I just have to get around to editing some more.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic