My Yosemite trip with my Phantom

Reaction score
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhfSxl-Lfto[/youtube]

Just got back and made a quick video of some of my flights over Yosemite.

I was planning a trip next month up the Blue Ridge Parkway to fly & film from many of the scenic overlooks... that's shot all to hell now... Thanks go out to the irresponsible sons-a-bitches who used their R/C's to chase wildlife at state parks... :x

U.M.

Wow, what great scenery.
I can see why all the cars were parked there for that awesome view but your Phantom made it even better.

Nice work and glad you didn't get caught.

Jeffin916 said:
Wow, I had no idea, good thing I didnt get caught. Glad I got a couple flights in though.

Awesome video and beautiful scenery!

You may want to consider pulling it off YouTube though before the Feds come knocking at your door!

Most rangers will let you film
I just got back from a trip to the blue ridge area and if you ask most of them are just interested in the heli and what it can do
Here's a photo with the park ranger in WV
He will also be putting my photos on the parks webpage

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 696
When you say most rangers will let you film, are you speaking of national parks? Or the state parks where there technically aren't any regulations or any 'policy memos' yet?

I believe the specific rule for the National Parks is launching/landing while actually in the boundary of the park. Flying in the airspace of the park after a launch from outside the park, is allowed.

yawnalot29 said:
Oh, I thought you were trying to make a statement with civil disobedience.

Assuming I get up enough courage to do it over the Potomac River at Great Falls, that will be me. :)

I'm just wondering how much money I'll need to save up to hire a lawyer first... ;) LOL

phantomguy said:
I believe the specific rule for the National Parks is launching/landing while actually in the boundary of the park. Flying in the airspace of the park after a launch from outside the park, is allowed.
Naw, I don't think that is the point. Do you have a reference that supports that? I can see that being an advantage if it's correct, but I seriously doubt it.

slothead said:
phantomguy said:
Naw, I don't think that is the point. Do you have a reference that supports that? I can see that being an advantage if it's correct, but I seriously doubt it.

http://02b954f.netsolhost.com/docs/Poli ... Policy.pdf

Go to Exhibit C, #9 near the end of the document

SilentAV8R said:
slothead said:
phantomguy said:

Hey thanks for posting this! You are right. Maybe I misunderstood the point of your referring to this, but I am glad you did, and see a couple of possible results:
(1) the clause referenced above is not one of the "immediate actions" (the only immediate actions are to cancel current permits and not issue any new ones) and
(2) the deadline for the real actions is not due until the 20th of August (which gives us a month and a half to have fun - without being annoying of course) unless they have a fire lit under their administrative butts.

By the way, it shows up in the "Closure Language" clause too:
"Closure Language: Launching, landing, or operating an unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the National Park Service within the boundaries of [insert name of park] is prohibited except as approved in writing by the superintendent."

Thanks again ,

SilentAV8R said:
slothead said:
phantomguy said:

Oddly I can't get that section of the document to load, but it's amazing that they would include such language considering how opposed Park Service is to the idea of UAV's in the National Parks. Assuming you're correct, that still doesn't address a situation where the operator would lose control of the craft and it crashes in a place where it can not be reasonably recovered. This would mean the operator was littering in a National Park, a crime punishable by crucifixion :lol: (really no idea what the penalty is, and don't want to find out, because they would be PISSED).

They also don't allow skate boards, bikes, and alcohol, and smoking in some cases. Rules can vary from park to park.

I believe the OPs reluctance to remove the video will not bode well. It's a clear indication that he still does not understand the gravity of his offense, something I'm sure Park Service will be correcting very soon.

Edit: almost forgot, the video taken at 600 feet, proudly displayed...classic.

"Specifically, the use of drones within the park boundaries is illegal under all circumstances."
http://www.nps.gov/yose/parknews/use-of ... l-park.htm

CarlJ said:

This last tidbit is significant in that it proves my second point wrong - the NPS WILL act quickly in barring fights. So we don't have a month and a half to play.

I also found it interesting that this last item (Yosemite-specific) came out before the NPS Policy Memorandum by about 2 weeks!

By the way Carl, I too noticed the file flaw and found a complete version here: http://www.nps.gov/policy/PolMemos/PM_14-05.htm

Thanks for this too Carl,

slothead said:
CarlJ said:

This last tidbit is significant in that it proves my second point wrong - the NPS WILL act quickly in barring fights. So we don't have a month and a half to play.

I also found it interesting that this last item (Yosemite-specific) came out before the NPS Policy Memorandum by about 2 weeks!

By the way Carl, I too noticed the file flaw and found a complete version here: http://www.nps.gov/policy/PolMemos/PM_14-05.htm

Thanks for this too Carl,

Tom,

I worked for a summer at Grand Canyon as a young man, and made many friends in Park Service. There are cabins along the rim of the canyon and it was a running joke that someone needed to die before one of the coveted cabins became available. Most often these jobs are held throughout a persons life. The rangers are deeply enamored with the parks and their jobs, so many of my friends are still working in the parks.

If you fly in the parks, and don't get caught, for the love of god don't post it on youtube. It's begging them to do something about it, and they will.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav