My views on Privacy and Drones

Nice video with good advice offered in a relaxed style.

2 things I picked up on which I liked.

1. With all the hype about quads filling the sky - I also have never yet seen another drone in the air.

2. Privacy is a bigger issue than photos and video. It is more likely that we will disturb the privacy of others with our 'swarm of bees' hovering over their heads.

Actually, I was recently told by neighbours that they thought a bees swarm was nearby before realising that I was hovering in the back garden. Also, when hovering over the rec my quad attracted a number of bees that hovered around until I lifted out of the way. Perhaps they too thought a swarm was nearby!

A very well delivered description of what our flying machines can actually see from above, and I too had never seen another quad flying until about three weeks ago when I had a phone call from a farmer whose property is next to mine. He told me "You have a delivery outside your front door" and then put the phone down. A strange call indeed, but there on my drive was a P3P with a little net underneath. In the net were two eggs and a note. The note said "I'll swap you two chicken eggs for a duck egg".

He had seen me flying my P3P about two months ago and at the local pub (where else) a week or so later had asked me what it was. He bought one and I now get 2 chicken eggs delivered about twice a week and he gets a duck egg for breakfast. He also keeps bee hives, so I suppose honey could be a future delivery. He's crazy enough to try.

There are some nice quad experiences, but not many get reported unfortunately.

Shipdiver- Good video, very informative. My only suggestion, depending on your target audience, would be to shorten the beginning part and show the meat of your presentation sooner. If your target is the general public, they may not stick around long enough to see what you're trying to show them.

Please take a look at a video I made where I discuss drones and privacy and other factors drone operators should be considerate of. This isn't all encompassing and focuses more on privacy, private property and peace and quiet. If you have any comment or questions, let me know.
Nice try, but no one is going to watch a fifteen minute video to get two-minutes of information.

Reactions: chapsrlz
Perhaps my view is a little skewed, but drones can invade my privacy by recording my activities in non-public (private) areas. Drones is a generic word to describe an unmanned aerial vehicle sized from palm-sized to military predator-sized. In that gamut there are most certainly drones capable of photographing with great detail my face from a distance. A Phantom with a GoPro or OEM 4K probably cannot, as you demonstrated.

In my opinion, if you mean a Phantom, say Phantom. Don't say the all encompassing word "drone". It's difficult to make a general rule covering a group with such diverse members. The general public is fearful of losing their privacy to drones, because there ARE drones capable of stealing their privacy. In today's political climate an aerial photograph of a child, is almost a certainty to be considered an invasion of privacy.

Disturbing my "privacy", although I might suggest my "peaceful serenity" is another matter. If it is a man-made or mechanical noise, it will disturb my privacy. Be it a train whistle, car or motorcycle engine or the buzz of a Phantom, if I can hear it, its invading my privacy. When I'm sitting on my back deck I have a reasonable expectation to hear air conditioning compressors kick in, lawn mowers running or the sound of trades people building a house. When out in a state park I have a reasonable expectation of not having to listen to a drone of any size from any distance.

Here in the UK, the use of the word drone implies something nasty and military,personally I always avoid the drone word.
I have rarely seen anyone else flying a Quad.
When I fly,usually on a relatively deserted coastline,I sometimes get people approach me, and universally it is always a positive encounter, I let them look at my Nexus screen, and spread the knowledge that I really am not invading their privacy.
Thanks for your views,I believe negative press will do more damage to our sport than anything else, and irresponsible youtube videos should be condemned in the comments.
Fly safely and with consideration for others and you will be fine.

It's well established in the courts that you have no expectation of privacy outside the walls of your home. The only privacy you are invading with a quad is if you are peering in someone's windows.

You'd be amazed at all the places where you go that you are photoed or videoed at close enough range to see your face. More and more, there is facial recognition software employed to log and track your comings and goings. I wish more people were alarmed by that than drone activity.

Now protecting "peace and serentity" is another matter. I think it's just a matter of common courtesy and decency. We have to keep the noise we are inflicting in mind where and when we fly. I wish the state and federal parks were open to our quads, and those are probably the most spectacular places to video that exist. But I understand fully that people expect peace and quiet in these places, and our hobby is contrary to that desire.

I beg to differ. Currently 23 people will.
I didn't, even though the guy is local. I don't have 15 minutes right now to watch this. I may later.

Rob, speaking of not seeing any other drone fliers? Get out more man! Drive past 60 acres soccer field in Redmond most days and you'll see drones flying. Come into Seattle at night and watch the skies long enough, you may pick up the distinct lights of a Phantom flying over the city. I was even driving west on Highway 18 on a Sunday afternoon last month when a P3 came flying up the freeway directly above traffic at about a 40 foot altitude - visible enough that cars were slowing to point at it. I saw the kid standing on an overpass piloting the drone!

Here in the UK, the use of the word drone implies something nasty and military,personally I always avoid the drone word.
Yep people have a hard time separating the two . If the military didn't use the name I wouldn't have a problem .

I beg to differ. Currently 23 people will.
Well if I was in the 23.... I dragged the bar across looking for a quad in flight....none seen... So lost interest. "Advice is OK ...but....I am sure everything he said, is written in this forum. At some time, albeit it may not be in the same post.
Not all of us have huge download capacity...Australia is pathetic when it comes to broadband....so 15 minute vids have to have value....

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440852458.018749.jpg
Thought this fits this thread :D

long.. long... long... just too long and slow. good try though. good intentions.

Yep people have a hard time separating the two . If the military didn't use the name I wouldn't have a problem .

The US military doesn't use the word drone, though that may be starting to change with all the common usage.

I have seen 2 quads one in a park, one in the area I fly that has become an acquaintance from time to time. Other than that nothing.

I did a polling here quite a while ago and the general consensus was no.

A lot more members since then have arrived, if members would take the time answer a yes or no poll most don't for some odd reason? We would mostly see no as the leader.

If anyone wishes to take another look on the subject go for it. A mod posting may draw more responses.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20