My view of Geo Fencing

Reaction score
Here it goes.

I paid $2399 AUS for my P4.

I am a responsible person. I have zero intentions of flying over airports or Military sites.

I have not and probably will not put any further updates into my drone.

I find it quite offensive that DJI has filled their pants with number 2's and decided to lock users rights to fly and may I add even pull out some big clause to indemnify the company. I gather some worry wart at dji hq worked out they can be taken to court from their product being used to commit offences.

Seriously, this is no different to car manufacturers locking down max speeds on cars to listed road speeds.

Sorry dji, your move to add geo fencing is IMO offensive to the many people who blindly put faith in your product and ( poor support ).

My P4 will fly where I choose to with moral intentions. I will not be one of the users to have my drone limited.

How is this achieving anything considering home brew drone builders have full reign over the terrain with their machines?

my 2 cents

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Sell your P4 to me and buy a... kite then!!! :) Just joking
I really don't understand why people have to focus on the dozens of things they cannot do with their Phantoms when there are hundreds of things they CAN do with them!
I honestly respect your opinion atariman(and I'm a big Atari fan) but I feel sorry for you cause it's obvious you are not happy with your purchase and you are not enjoying your P4.
I'm a happy P3P flyer, I personally don't have big issues with geo fencing nor with software updates. I hope one day you find a hobby you can enjoy and love, free of geo fencing and firmware update nightmares!

Translation: "Why does it bug you that your Ferrari is software-limited to 200 HP & 85 mph? You can still drive lots of places & plenty fast! Really sorry you're unhappy with your car & think you should sell it. Get a bike or some other method of transportation. ( Expletive Removed )

Sell your P4 to me and buy a... kite then!!! :) Just joking
I really don't understand why people have to focus on the dozens of things they cannot do with their Phantoms when there are hundreds of things they CAN do with them!
I honestly respect your opinion atariman(and I'm a big Atari fan) but I feel sorry for you cause it's obvious you are not happy with your purchase and you are not enjoying your P4.
I'm a happy P3P flyer, I personally don't have big issues with geo fencing nor with software updates. I hope one day you find a hobby you can enjoy and love, free of geo fencing and firmware update nightmares!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LosDosMonitos
I am a responsible person. I have zero intentions of flying over airports or Military sites.

If you don't fly in places locked out by GEO (your words) then GEO does not affect you at all. HEY... PROBLEM SOLVED! Have a nice day!

I have not and probably will not put any further updates into my drone.
I doubt it. So if DJI comes out with an update to correct a problem with flight that could cause a crash you are not going to update. Yeah... gonna have to call BS on that statement.

I find it quite offensive that DJI has filled their pants with number 2's and decided to lock users rights to fly and may I add even pull out some big clause to indemnify the company. I gather some worry wart at dji hq worked out they can be taken to court from their product being used to commit offences.

The only problem with GEO is that you don't understand that it now _expands_ where you are able to fly. That is, it now gives you the option to fly in _MORE_ places. If you want to see this as a bad thing, you are welcome to your (incorrect) opinion. You are just misinformed.

Reactions: konidair
Isn't the whole premise of GEO to be able to unlock areas like this? If the option is there I guess I don't see the problem.

Isn't the whole premise of GEO to be able to unlock areas like this? If the option is there I guess I don't see the problem.

99.9 yes, .1 no. It does lock out new places such as prisons. But the OP claims he does not fly in these areas or 1.5/5 miles from an airport so no reductions for the OP, only additions as you mentioned.

Also, GEO actually _helps_ people. A person my be flying in a new area and not even realize that there is a small airport 5 miles away. GEO lets that person know this so that they can obtain permission to fly. For anything less then Class A or B airports, it's just a warning. For Class A and B the person can obtain permission to fly and then unlock it down to 1.5 miles.

But again, the OP claims he does not fly in those areas anyway.

I had Geo on the newest app and where I fly is a Class D zone. It was very annoying. Kept prompting me during the flight to acknowledge that I was aware of that. Distracting me from flying. Went back to version 2.8.1

Translation: "Why does it bug you that your Ferrari is software-limited to 200 HP & 85 mph? You can still drive lots of places & plenty fast! Really sorry you're unhappy with your car & think you should sell it. Get a bike or some other method of transportation. ( Expletive Removed )

And still ...most people have no clue about how Dji geo fencing works.
Also, no one has limited your copter's speed. You are comparing apples and oranges!
Let me remind you that you are not allowed to drive anywere you want with your car or with your boat, do you have to be unhappy about that too?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Just because you paid a lot of money for a phantom doesn't mean you're exempt from the rules...
You state that you have "zero intentions of flying over airports or Military sites." Then whats the big deal? Geo fencing does nothing to take away from flying where you want!

Seriously? The word "bastard" is NOT profane. It is a proper noun. Thats why it doesn't get bleeped when spoken on public airwaves. In future extemporaneous posts I'll restrain myself to "You ungrateful poopy-butt!"
The reason it was edited was for the intent of the word. You said it to belittle another member and we all know that is a rule violation. Lets just all try to be nicer to each other. If someone post something you don't agree with, feel free to debate them, not berate them.

images.png

Perhaps you should re-read my message. It wasn't directed at another member. It was merely part of my somewhat sarcastic "translation." As in, "Just sell your Phantom if you aren't happy you ungrateful bastard." Now the adults need Safe Spaces too?

The reason it was edited was for the intent of the word. You said it to belittle another member and we all know that is a rule violation. Lets just all try to be nicer to each other. If someone post something you don't agree with, feel free to debate them, not berate them.

Perhaps you should re-read my message. It wasn't directed at another member. It was merely part of my somewhat sarcastic "translation." As in, "Just sell your Phantom if you aren't happy you ungrateful bastard." Now the adults need Safe Spaces too?
TJ didn't do that to your post ,I did . Have you forgot we do have minors in here ?
Now if you have an issue with it send me a message per guideline # 9

I never have problems with geo fencing, why? I DON'T FLY THERE! Canada has 3.8 million square miles, I think there may be a few places that are not fenced. Geez BTW Australia has 2.87 million square miles, I think you may also find at least one or even 2 places to fly.

It appeared as though you were directing it to the member you quoted. I'm just trying to help keep the peace around here which is becoming more of a challenge all the time.

I flew in our quarry today which is opposite an airport. This was to take pictures of the restoration. I called traffic control to let them know, they were happy for me to fly providing the drone was under 7kg and only flew to 400ft. I couldn't get round all the site due to the geofence restrictions. Totally agree with the safety features but I could have got more of the site if it let move closer. Does anyone know if you can do this?

The bigger picture is DJI is trying to patent GEO and is lobbying the U.S. Congress (and other global entities it appear) to enact laws requiring the technology be installed on all drones. This would force manufactures to purchase licenses from DJI. It's no more complicated than that. The current option to turn GEO off is only a temporary stay.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj