My top 5 reasons why I won't upgrade to the P4..... yet :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
1. LOYALTY: I still very much enjoy my Phantom 3 Professional.

2. TRUST: The P3P was my first quadcopter and as easy as it is to fly I was still quite nervous in the beginning and had no confidence but I learned to balance the flight controls as well as the camera and I learned to trust it. That said, the P4 does seem to make it easier but the learning curve is not there anymore, at-least if you're a P3 owner.

3. I'M NOT A ROOKIE ANYMORE: That said, the P4 is as excellent of a quadcopter for first timers as was the P3. I'm sure a lot of P3 pilots lost their birds after flying into trees or having insufficient RTH settings; The new obstacle avoidance system is awesome but I feel I'm a little more seasoned and I've learned to manage to avoid such risks and still get some awesome shots and video footage.

3. RELIABILITY: The P3P is a reliable bird and it was born out of the lessons learned from earlier Phantoms. I'm sure the P4 has learned a few of it's own lessons but for it's price tag I don't see myself benefiting any more than what the P3 offers.

4. SAME CAMERA: I don't see much of a camera upgrade to warrant the price. After all, this is first and foremost a flying camera. I would LOVE to see a bigger camera sensor and perhaps an improved depth of field on the next Phantom. Perhaps a little bit of zoom for all the privacy people out there too. ;)

5. COST VS VALUE: If you own a P3P then you realize that there is still great value there. The 'real' upgrades that I wish I had from the P4 upgrade are the faster sport flying mode, dual IMU's and compasses for extended reliability and perhaps 'maybe' the longer battery life. Other than those features I can't warrant upgrading until maybe the Phantom 5. I'm thinking a better upgrade for most P3P users would probably be a better computer that can edit 4K like it was nothing! ;)

Again..this is only my opinions folks!

Never buy a rev one DJI product. That's enough of a reason for me.

My reasons for buying one:

I have a need for speed and distance. Object tracking, dual IMU, dual compass, collision avoidance, 1080@ 120fps, those are nice to haves.

I'm loyal, I'm keeping my P3P for backup!

BTW, I got a tip there are beta testers for DJI digital zoom capability when recording in less than 4K. I would expect that firmware/Go app to be released later for the P4 and P3P.

Last edited:
So you don't have $1,400

LOL... I knew someone would throw in the "poor factor"! That should of being "REASON #6" huh? Jerk! ;) Um... yeah, I don't have $1,400 for another quadcopter. I've already put about $2,200 bones into my P3P. I've got 5 batteries, several 64gig cards, three DJI chargers and the stupid DJI backpack. All of that equates to about a selling price of $400 on Craigslist...if I'm lucky! I'm good! lol

I just purchased my P3P a couple weeks ago right after the price drop. I was a little apprehensive that I'd made a mistake while waiting for the P4 to be released. I'm completely ok with my purchase and not sure I wouldn't do the same thing today. Great camera, great ship, $400 / less. I'm good for now.

My reasons for buying one:

I have a need for speed and distance. Object tracking, dual IMU, dual compass, collision avoidance, 1080@ 120fps, those are nice to haves.

I'm loyal, I'm keeping my P3P for backup!

BTW, I got a tip there are beta testers for DJI digital zoom capability when recording in less than 4K. I would expect that firmware/Go app to be released later for the P4 and P3P.

" A need for speed" :) -- interesting tip!

I just purchased my P3P a couple weeks ago right after the price drop. I was a little apprehensive that I'd made a mistake while waiting for the P4 to be released. I'm completely ok with my purchase and not sure I wouldn't do the same thing today. Great camera, great ship, $400 / less. I'm good for now.

Good for you! You gotta deal with the price drop. You should look for deals on batteries too. Cheapest they've gone on sale for is around $110-$115. Don't pay full price! I'm sure they'll go down a little more in time.

Reactions: GyroPilot
My number one reason for NOT, is if I am upgrading I want a decent camera upgrade. I'm actually thinking of going inspire, because of this.

My number one reason for NOT, is if I am upgrading I want a decent camera upgrade. I'm actually thinking of going inspire, because of this.

Hmm.. The only minor difference is the Inspire’s lens comprises 9 elements, and has Adobe DNG RAW support for anti-distortion. The Phantom 3 and the Inspire have a 3-axis stabilising gimbals, the Inspire has a more advanced 360 rotating Zenmuse X3 Gimbal but from I hear most folks really don't use the 360 feature. If you don't have a P3 then I would recommend skipping the Inspire and shooting for a P4.

I've been a hobby photographer for years and this was the reason i got into drones. Some of the features on the P4 are a nice fit for how I do photography/videos. I'd love to have one, but like many here it's a lot of cash, especially if you already have a P3.

Reactions: Trackman1
I've been a hobby photographer for years and this was the reason i got into drones. Some of the features on the P4 are a nice fit for how I do photography/videos. I'd love to have one, but like many here it's a lot of cash, especially if you already have a P3.

Agreed. The P4 is shiny and new and that's why we want it. Right now, the P4 is making us feel the envy of when the "new motors" came out for the P3 while some of use were stuck with the old motors. Question now is... does anybody out there now care about the new vs old motors debate? lol Let's be patient and wait a year for a Phantom with a better camera to come about. :)

Hmm.. The only minor difference is the Inspire’s lens comprises 9 elements, and has Adobe DNG RAW support for anti-distortion. The Phantom 3 and the Inspire have a 3-axis stabilising gimbals, the Inspire has a more advanced 360 rotating Zenmuse X3 Gimbal but from I hear most folks really don't use the 360 feature. If you don't have a P3 then I would recommend skipping the Inspire and shooting for a P4.

Oh I agree if you didnt have one yet, then I would buy the p4. But after having the p3p (which I love and will keep for a while) I would save for the inspire with the zenmuse x5 lens. But then you start talking a lot more money over the p3 or p4. But the micro 4/3 would "potentially" be worth it to me.
Anywho I'm not trying to start anything or be disagreeable, I was just merely trying to say that I enjoyed this thread and my number one reason out of the original 5 given would be the camera thing.
Keep calm all, and fly on.

2. TRUST: The P3P was my first quadcopter and as easy as it is to fly I was still quite nervous in the beginning and had no confidence but I learned to balance the flight controls as well as the camera and I learned to trust it. That said, the P4 does seem to make it easier but the learning curve is not there anymore, at-least if you're a P3 owner.

3. I'M NOT A ROOKIE ANYMORE: That said, the P4 is as excellent of a quadcopter for first timers as was the P3. I'm sure a lot of P3 pilots lost their birds after flying into trees or having insufficient RTH settings; The new obstacle avoidance system is awesome but I feel I'm a little more seasoned and I've learned to manage to avoid such risks and still get some awesome shots and video footage.

3. RELIABILITY: The P3P is a reliable bird and it was born out of the lessons learned from earlier Phantoms. I'm sure the P4 has learned a few of it's own lessons but for it's price tag I don't see myself benefiting any more than what the P3 offers.

4. SAME CAMERA: I don't see much of a camera upgrade to warrant the price. After all, this is first and foremost a flying camera. I would LOVE to see a bigger camera sensor and perhaps an improved depth of field on the next Phantom. Perhaps a little bit of zoom for all the privacy people out there too. ;)

5. COST VS VALUE: If you own a P3P then you realize that there is still great value there. The 'real' upgrades that I wish I had from the P4 upgrade are the faster sport flying mode, dual IMU's and compasses for extended reliability and perhaps 'maybe' the longer battery life. Other than those features I can't warrant upgrading until maybe the Phantom 5. I'm thinking a better upgrade for most P3P users would probably be a better computer that can edit 4K like it was nothing! ;)

Agreed on all points made. The P4 seem like a very precise and calculated "upgrade", to appeal to both new and seasoned pilots. DJI must move on and show something new, I aknowledge. But the fact (at least for me) is that the P3, the P3P in special, is an excellent quad/cam setup as it is. It's a real step up from the P2+ and still a much more capable drone than 99% of the competition, it's a winner however we look at it. I mean, how many quads out there can claim 4K with Lightbridge range and ˜20min. of flight, intelligent modes and whatnot for under a thousand?? If newcomers can see the beauty in that for the reduced price, the truth is that the P3A/P is unbeatable.

So right! Just got home from picking up an additional P3P today from BestBuy. They are offering it for $999 with additional battery. Wanted an additional remote and additional batteries as my P3P remote is modified with DBS antenna and not as easy to transport in the backcountry on my sled. Hardshell backpack for backcountry shots arrives tomorrow.

OK, so I get home and open up the new bird and start charging batteries and RC (I'm just keeping the new P3P with newer motors in the box until I need it or something happens to my P3P) and decide to jump on Phantompilots only to find out a new Phantom has been released!

Sat here thinking, do I have buyers remorse purchasing another P3P today and should I take it back for the P4?

All your points are dead on. Keeping it! Love the P3P and am stoked on the features DJI is adding to this new UAV.

Going to have a blast with 6 batteries and P3P with backup bird until the P5 lands.

Thanks

Agreed on all points made. The P4 seem like a very precise and calculated "upgrade", to appeal to both new and seasoned pilots. DJI must move on and show something new, I aknowledge. But the fact (at least for me) is that the P3, the P3P in special, is an excellent quad/cam setup as it is. It's a real step up from the P2+ and still a much more capable drone than 99% of the competition, it's a winner however we look at it. I mean, how many quads out there can claim 4K with Lightbridge range and ˜20min. of flight, intelligent modes and whatnot for under a thousand?? If newcomers can see the beauty in that for the reduced price, the truth is that the P3A/P is unbeatable.

Well said. I find that 10 minutes of flight time is all I need to come up with an interesting 3-4 minute video clip for sharing. For me it's like this... 10 minutes of flight time x 4 batteries = 40 minutes of video footage and 3 hours of video editing! That's even if I use all 4 batteries! If you're a planner and you know what you want to capture then I figure 10 minutes of flight time can be plenty and you're playing it safe with your batteries while at the same time extending their lifespan.

LOL... I knew someone would throw in the "poor factor"! That should of being "REASON #6" huh? Jerk! ;) Um... yeah, I don't have $1,400 for another quadcopter. I've already put about $2,200 bones into my P3P. I've got 5 batteries, several 64gig cards, three DJI chargers and the stupid DJI backpack. All of that equates to about a selling price of $400 on Craigslist...if I'm lucky! I'm good! lol
I will give you $500 when you are ready. :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Mario_SB
No wonder you don't want a P4. You can't count to 5. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik