My stock P3S flying range

Reaction score
I've have had my P3S for maybe a week and finally have a day without winds. Took it out on the dry lake bed and had some fun. 1st time I forgot the SD card (I even had my printed check list, but didn't read it before I left the house). I found out that I was limited in flying range and turned off that when I went home.
2nd time out I got brave and sent it out. I had a strong signal all the way to 4000' and then chickened out.
The lake bed is totally flat and drive able so next time I think I will just let it run until loss of signal. These things are so much fun.

7754dc38004f9e3e59375b27992c498e.jpg

Had my Phantom 3 Standard out to 5806 feet with 10-14 mile per hour winds in the city with no direct line of sight after 1700 feet. I see a lot of post where guys with P3A or P3P are only going 3000-4000 feet! Why? Your max flight is 3.1 miles in good conditions so on average you should get at least 2 miles minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Over flat farm fields I got about a half mile with my P3S stock before losing connection. (2300 feet or so) then I boosted my signal with the ARGTek Antenna from BlueProton and shot it to a mile with ease. I had lots of useable range left too but alas 12 degree Fahrenheit weather and 15 mile an hour winds made me have to bring her back early. She had frost on her gimbal when I RTHed her and she was cruising home at 400 ft

I knew I had two factors working against my range via battery life so while I feel I coulda pushed 6k-7k feet I just won't know until spring or summer

2063m with Argtec on standard model.

Nigel

I live high on a hill and took my p3s with no aftermarket range extenders on a waypoint mission via the Litchi app that was about 3 miles out. The first time I flew the mission I made it to about 9,800 feet out before the AC disconnected from my RC. The second time I flew the mission it made it over 10 thousand feet before losing connection. It was an automated waypoint mission so I wasn't controlling the AC but still cool to have live video feed that far out.

Something people don't mention is that when you're out in the country, there's also a lot less radio frequency interference. When you're in the 'burbs and every house as a WiFi network, it will affect your range on both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz. When you're in the country, with no competing signals, range will be better.

Reactions: anotherlab

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav