My sad story about a gimbal, and some helpful hints.

Reaction score
Yes, it's broken. And it's at least 50% my fault. I'm also blaming trees, wind and the Moverio glasses I got Saturday.

Honestly, I was distracted for a second and clipped a few leaves... down it came and I think the gimbal wacked a branch. I shouldn't been flying in the yard in the first place, but oh well.

Some thoughts that may help others:

If I had just stopped and thoroughly examined what had happened, I might very well have saved it. Initially, I was getting a 'gimbal motor error'. What I realized later was that the bang on bottom of the gimbal had not only slightly bent the arm, but it also forced the arm up on the shaft of the top motor. It was dragging slightly. If this happens to yours, there's an allen key adjuster screw on the shaft that you can adjust, and restore free movement.

Unfortunately, I also had another problem, the gimbal tilted at about 30 degrees, and after continued f-ing by yours truly, it stopped all together. I hate that.

So, I checked around and found that gimbals are hard to come by as replacements, but eventually they will be available either through dealers or direct from the website. I figure I will eventually repair it and sell it. In the meantime, I have another P2V+ coming and still have a P2V for practice.

I noticed on Amazon today that they are pushing a warranty option - $71 for three years. What?
How on earth can anyone do that, with these being so easy to break? I read all I could find on this, and here's my take - the warranty only covers the camera. There is no possibility they are going to be replacing gimbals under a seventy one dollar warranty !

If anyone else knows, please jump in, but I would expect there to be some exception letting them off the hook in case of a crash. That would be like auto insurance at an NASCAR event.

The Moverio glasses pretty neat and work well so far. It's not so much a clearer view than the iPhone, but you can look up and orient yourself better. It makes FPV flying much easier in the sun. However, tree branches may be closer than they appear.

I'm pretty sure the warranty from amazon covers the camera only.... And for manufacture defects.... It's not crash insurance.... As far as I can find the only insurance for crashing is AMA, or your home owners insurance....

I'm also considering putting a piece of duct tape across the two legs of the next one, just behind the camera. with the hope it will give some shielding from a similar hit. I don't know if that will work - and it sure would look a little tacky, but it might help, I'm thinking.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl