Attachments

• 85CDE2D7-777E-4DAD-86D7-F1D700989D02.jpeg
    85CDE2D7-777E-4DAD-86D7-F1D700989D02.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 691
  • 573A726C-2348-4D1F-8229-08C8C917DEEE.jpeg
    573A726C-2348-4D1F-8229-08C8C917DEEE.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 758
Pretty sharp! Where did you get it?

Throw out the Phantom case and put in foam dividers.

Here's my pick, $149, no tax, free shipping. ThinkTank Helipak V2

This holds much more gear and it's airline compliant for size. It will hold the craft, 6 flight batteries, 120V charger and 3 battery hub, iPad Air2, 12VDC car charger, a DSLR camera, MarcoPolo tracker, even a modified RC with the Itelite DBS2 antenna installed. All that and it will also hold a laptop too. However, you do need to pick and choose what you want to carry, weight-wise. I typically load it up when I go on trips, then unload much of it in the hotel room to lighten the pack up. This Helipak is the best pack I've found at any cost. Besides the nice scuba-like HD zipper, the shoulder straps are very rugged, and the waist belt helps if you go on long hikes. It's very well thought out.

What this photo doesn't show is you can put a battery under each motor, facilitating more room for other stuff.

upload_2017-12-30_14-16-48.png

You got a crap ton of space right there. Thanks, that is my new favorite too. I had repurposed my 20 year old Lowepro. Here it is Sans P4 (out for repairs).

9da7830400547bfead318b333e6b5976.jpg

You get the idea. I've hauled it all over tarnation; boat, train, plane, hiking, biking... Never had an issue, but then I rarely trip and fall [emoji41] [emoji3]

Do you guys find the backpacks more useful and still providing decent protection over a hard case?

I am interested in a hard case, but also want it to be sized right to allow it to be a carry on for airlines.

I guess the backpack could help in the chance they try to request to have me check it and I can say it wouldn't be protected enough as opposed to the same conversation over a hard case...

Do you guys find the backpacks more useful and still providing decent protection over a hard case?

I am interested in a hard case, but also want it to be sized right to allow it to be a carry on for airlines.

I guess the backpack could help in the chance they try to request to have me check it and I can say it wouldn't be protected enough as opposed to the same conversation over a hard case...
Backpacks are way more useful IMO. Hard cases won't carry as much, are heavier, and usually don't comply with the 22x14x9" size for carry on luggage, especially the rolling type. You cannot check flight batteries so if you're thinking of checking a hard case you have to pull the batteries out and carry those on the plane separately, which is a hassle.
Hard cases do protect better, and look more professional if you're doing commercial work, but are less flexible and accommodating. Backpacks are way more helpful, providing an easy way to tote your craft around on hikes, being over ten pounds lighter.

Since the Think Tank Helipak complies with carry on size, you are practically guaranteed overhead storage help from the stewardess if you mention the LiPo battery compliance FAA regulation. If the bins are full they'll figure it out without checking the backpack. The exception is regional jets which don't have overhead storage that's big enough for backpacks 22x14x9", in which case you have to check it and pull your batteries out of the pack to carry on.

The other issue with hard cases is they can beat up you car more with all the little bumps and bangs as you load and unload the case, in and out of the car. Since its heavy there are more nicks and mars from those routine mishaps.

Last edited:
Reactions: DocDiggler
Backpacks are way more useful IMO. Hard cases won't carry as much, are heavier, and usually don't comply with the 22x14x9" size for carry on luggage, especially the rolling type. You cannot check flight batteries so if you're thinking of checking a hard case you have to pull the batteries out and carry those on the plane separately, which is a hassle.
Hard cases do protect better, and look more professional if you're doing commercial work, but are less flexible and accommodating. Backpacks are way more helpful, providing an easy way to tote your craft around on hikes, being over ten pounds lighter.

Since the Think Tank Helipak complies with carry on size, you are practically guaranteed overhead storage help from the stewardess if you mention the LiPo battery compliance FAA regulation. If the bins are full they'll figure it out without checking the backpack. The exception is regional jets which don't have overhead storage that's big enough for backpacks 22x14x9", in which case you have to check it and pull your batteries it of the pack to carry on.

The other issue with hard cases is they can beat up you car more with all the little bumps and bangs as you load and unload the case, in and out of the car. Since its heavy there are more nicks and mars from those routine mishaps.
Good points, thanks for commenting.

Is your backpack still padded enough to offer a fair bit of protection against bumps or I guess someone setting another item on top of it? For sure I would be more cautious with a backpack, but still expect some protection if I get one. I'd hate to open the cover to find a cracked shell or something after what seemed to be a minor bump.

Currently I have not gotten into commercial work, but it is something I'd consider. Right now it is for my everyday use and light travel a few times a year so I guess I could eventually buy one of each case if needed. I'd prefer to be one and done though.

I'm hesitant to buy a cheap hard case like the DJI aluminium one since I doubt it has quality in mind at $65, but maybe ill give it a try for my work one since it needs a case too...

Went out and tested my bag yesterday. It weighed 13lbs. I need few more additions for my trip. I need to add water bladder container with a host so i cand hydrate without opening the bag. The bag has this feauture but does not come with it. I also need a way to carry lunch and currently searching a molle attachment for that purpose.

I am trying to narrow done a backpack to pick up. I decided to move from a hard case mindset to a backpack for ease of airline travel and weight reduction.
Now the other big thing is that I am not interested in splurging on a high quality high price bag since at the current moment I cannot justify it.

So I am tossing out a few that I think I narrowed down to and some if not all are likely knockoffs of true name brand ones. I am looking for decent protection and the ability to also fit a 9.7" ipad.
I'd appreciate feedback/input on which you think is the best buy.

These two are similar, the second is uglier in my opinion, but maybe better interior?:
Vetroo - Newegg
Lykus - Newegg

This is obviously a DJI knockoff, but may still be a good design for the price:
NoName - Ebay

*Edit: I crossed off some of the above to keep the original content there. I think I am now down to the Vetroo and the Ultimaxx (Manfrotto knockoff).

I like the sleaker look of the Vetroo and also think the drone facing away from your back would be safer, but may be wrong there... The Ultimaxx would hold more stuff that I don't necessarily need now and offers the propeller on storage option as well, but I'd think you'd have a good chance of bending a prop if not careful setting it down... Also the Ultimaxx is the knockoff of what seems to be one of the highest recommended backpacks.*

Last edited:
I'm using this Manfrotto for backpacking: Manfrotto MB BP-D1 DJI Professional Video Equipment Cases Drone Backpack (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017AED18Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_5IxuAbNR7XFD9

Will probably get the Think Tank for traveling.

Do you like that Manfrotto a lot?
I did see there was a knockoff for it to save a bit of money (or even cheaper if I want to risk Ebay):
Ultimaxx - Newegg

I'm normally against the color blue, but now you have me rethinking this bag as well... I'm a very indecisive person for things like this lol.

Just before Christmas I got A 3 battery p4p package with a backpack. From Amazon. The Backpack name is scootree.
The factory styrofoam locking case for the 3 battery package fits perfectly in the backpack, there is even a little cut out with a velcro flap in the backpack for the Locking device for the styrofoam case. Don't know if they sell them separately but they should. I'll see if I can post a picture.
My styrofoam case from the factory will hold 3 batteries. The picture in this link shows the batteries in the upper compartment I now use the upper compartment for battery chargers and other wires
https://www.amazon.com/Smatree-Quadcopter-Styrofoam-Batteries-Propellers/dp/B01J7UN1G8

Last edited:
I am trying to narrow done a backpack to pick up. I decided to move from a hard case mindset to a backpack for ease of airline travel and weight reduction.
Now the other big thing is that I am not interested in splurging on a high quality high price bag since at the current moment I cannot justify it.

So I am tossing out a few that I think I narrowed down to and some if not all are likely knockoffs of true name brand ones. I am looking for decent protection and the ability to also fit a 9.7" ipad.
I'd appreciate feedback/input on which you think is the best buy.

These two are similar, the second is uglier in my opinion, but maybe better interior?:
Vetroo - Newegg
Lykus - Newegg

This is obviously a DJI knockoff, but may still be a good design for the price:
NoName - Ebay

I don't mind the DJI knock off, looks more compact and sleek than the other crates shown here, couldn't imagine carrying a box on my back like a tibetan porter of some sort.

Last edited:
Personally I use the Lowepro Drone Guard 450 Pro. For me all it's really lacking are tripod straps. The pack has a hard shell, opens from the back, and can fit a fair bit of kit if you're organized. I fit a Phantom 4 Pro+ in mine with: the remote, two sets of props, three batteries, shoulder harness for the remote, landing pad, a Sony A7RII, Metabones adapter, Canon 17-40L, Wine Country Camera filter holder in it's case, a plate filter pouch with 4 plates in it, the Polar Pro Cinema series filter kit, shutter release for the Sony, wallet, phone, extra batteries for the camera, and that's all without using the top compartment.

I don't mind the DJI knock off, looks more compact and sleek than the other crates shown here, couldn't imagine carrying a box on my back like a tibetan porter of some sort.
Me too. I didnt like the spaceman type hardshell backpack. I chose a military style multi purpose backpack built for the outdoors that is price less than $100. My primary consideration for the bag was to fit the foam case and be able to carry hydration pack with a tube accessible from the outside of bag.

I ended up going with the Ultimaxx (Manfrotto D1 knockoff) and it seems to be pretty decent.
I just placed an order for some silicone motor guards to keep the tips protected when in the backpack and also got a 1 foot cable to connect my display without excess cord hanging down.

Now I need some warmer weather to come back so I can fly on weekends.

Since the Think Tank Helipak complies with carry on size, you are practically guaranteed overhead storage help from the stewardess if you mention the LiPo battery compliance FAA regulation. If the bins are full they'll figure it out without checking the backpack. The exception is regional jets which don't have overhead storage that's big enough for backpacks 22x14x9", in which case you have to check it and pull your batteries out of the pack to carry on.

John

All great point but when I travel with my full Lowepro backpack on regional jets, I have been able to avoid checking the bags by bringing them out to the gate and checking at the point of boarding. This avoids baggage handlers and keeping better track of my gear. I will do the same with my P4.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl