My phantom went wild

Reaction score
Hi guys

New to this forum, and to drones. From Norway, so if my english is not alway comprehensible, please excuse.

I have been flying my vision 15-20 times with no problems. A couple of weeks ago I had a small crash, trying to land on a table on the porch, didn`t make it, and the phantom went down:) Not at high speed. So, it went on the shelv for a couple of weeks, and yesterday I started it up again.

I waited til everything was connected, and had full gps signal. Took of, and there it went. I did not have any controll over it. It went up, and then turned right, full speed ahead. Went over my house, and into the woods, of course......

Found it today, only the propellers that where damaged. (found the camera and battery on the ground yesterday, but since it is dark here at 4 pm, I could not see it up in the trees.)

I`m trying to understand why it went crazy. Today I have taken of the remaining propellers, and tried it. No problem at all, it responds to all the controls.....

Anybody that has had a similar experience ?

Hi guys

New to this forum, and to drones. From Norway, so if my english is not alway comprehensible, please excuse.

I have been flying my vision 15-20 times with no problems. A couple of weeks ago I had a small crash, trying to land on a table on the porch, didn`t make it, and the phantom went down:) Not at high speed. So, it went on the shelv for a couple of weeks, and yesterday I started it up again.

I waited til everything was connected, and had full gps signal. Took of, and there it went. I did not have any controll over it. It went up, and then turned right, full speed ahead. Went over my house, and into the woods, of course......

Found it today, only the propellers that where damaged. (found the camera and battery on the ground yesterday, but since it is dark here at 4 pm, I could not see it up in the trees.)

I`m trying to understand why it went crazy. Today I have taken of the remaining propellers, and tried it. No problem at all, it responds to all the controls.....

Anybody that has had a similar experience ?

I am no expert, and your english is good, but from what I have read on here it sounds like a compass calibration error, did the compass antenna get damaged from you trying to land on the table.?

Doesn`t like it took any harm, but will do a calibration just to be sure.

When I get the new propelles, I`m not going to try it close to any forest :)

DB's mods did a YouTube vid on this type of fly away. He explains sometimes you get a bad GPS location. This is rare but it happens. So your homepoint is recorded incorrectly and sometimes it's recorded over 500 meters away. So immediately upon liftoff, the craft goes into RTH.

That sounds like my episode, I only got a couple of meters up, and then it took of.... not the best thing I have experienced, but luckily it crashed in to some trees, instead of flying 500 mtr from me :) Will check and see if I can find the video. Thanks.

Imu calibration with computer needed after every crash. And compass calibration dance before flight.

Reactions: Clampit
Thanks, didn`t know that.... Done it now, at last I managed to connect it to my computer. And, I have calibratet the compass.

Imu calibration with computer needed after every crash. And compass calibration dance before flight.
Couldn't agree more with that, when you Callibrate the IMU, it will tell you there's an error, "IMU to hot" this is a well known bug, just carry on with the callibration, also make sure the phantom is level which it should tell you when doing this. Then Callibrate the compass.

I don't Callibrate my compass on every flight but do when I've travelled some distant to fly;) well I try....;) Also the only other time you need to Callibrate the compass is when you've just upgraded the firmware.

I've had had no problems with mine doing the above but you guys do what you think is best.;)

Reactions: dirkclod
Last year I had a new borrowed P2 go up about 10 feet and take off full speed to the left. I was at a lake and it luckily was at the right altitude so it crashed in some reeds in a swampy area. I had to grab my boat and go see if it had sunk in the water. It was half submerged and the only casualty was the battery and a prop. I was very new and it was my first Phantom flights and I fully believe now I had rushed the takeoff/calibration. I went on to fly that Phantom all summer in a live show, in a theater indoors no less, and never had another problem with it.

Totally agree with you TWalker, a lot of people do rush into our hobby not reading the manual/researching properly hence why they have problems.;)

Our phantoms ain't cheap but if people want to throw their money away that's down to them but they can't come crying to us:)

Before my 1st flight I done so much reading, flying in doors (props off:D) just so I could understand everything about my new P2V.

Sorry forgot to say... Welcome to the forum @TWalker ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
Hey guys, trying to say it was my fault???:):):)o_O

After reading this post, I can understand that I made a mistake :):):)

Hey guys, trying to say it was my fault???:):):)o_O

After reading this post, I can understand that I made a mistake :):):)

Lol....
giphy.gif

We are here to help you;) we all had to start somewhere:)

Best way to learn is by your mistakes, that's how I do it:D

Your be fine my friend;)

Live in Oestfold, Ringvoll. A place in the dark dark woods of Norway:)

It`s a great forum, and for us that are new to this, a great place to read us up so we do not do the same mistakes twice:p:)

Reactions: Brent Bierce

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl