My Phantom in action and some FPV practice

Reaction score
Here is my setup shown from some external GoPro shots and some on board FPV flying practice

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIEg_O8k5zY[/youtube]

I managed to lose radio range on the part where I flew over the golf course, got a bit carried away in FPV :lol: Video was still perfect but I lost control a couple times then it slowly came home as I watched. Checked on Google earth and this was 880m away from me, first time I ever lost radio range on the stock radio having gone to just under 1km earlier. I did slightly clip a little off the end of the stock antenna before painting so that couldn't have helped.

Im looking at the Futaba radio's just not sure which to get, as a couple of them seem to be having issues with people. Maybe I just need an OSD so I dont get carried away as 750m or so is likely far enough from me anyway. Longer range wouldnt hurt and gives added safety even if you dont use it.

Neat, looks like you got some distance with the stock Tx.

I've had nothing but a positive experience with my Futaba T8j, one of my favorite purchases.
Works great in my Phantom.

I was thinking of going for the 8J or 8FG super but have heard some people report issues with the 8FG, they could just be one off issues like with most things but have made me a bit cautious about it as I was just about to buy that.

I like the extra channels on the 8FG but if its not 100% reliable with the phantom i may be better to avoid as even the stock radio has been pretty good for me but if others have more features and likely better range plus I will need to get another when I build a bigger copter. I have only heard good things about the 8J, what sort of range are you getting from the 8J. Does it improve controls in flight more precision too?

martcerv said:
I was thinking of going for the 8J or 8FG super but have heard some people report issues with the 8FG, they could just be one off issues like with most things but have made me a bit cautious about it as I was just about to buy that.

I like the extra channels on the 8FG but if its not 100% reliable with the phantom i may be better to avoid as even the stock radio has been pretty good for me but if others have more features and likely better range plus I will need to get another when I build a bigger copter. I have only heard good things about the 8J, what sort of range are you getting from the 8J. Does it improve controls in flight more precision too?

I don't believe there's been any significant problems people have been having with the FG, tho probably best to ask some of the folks who have one.
The T8J is def one of the most popular due to having 8 channels and more reasonably priced (around $279).
Tho both use S-Bus to connect straight up to the NAZA with a few wires.

Yes,. there are a variety of controls and switches as well as program mixes so that you can soften/increase sensitivity and stick commands. Plus a couple other fun options that allow you to mix channels - I set up one that turns my Yaw when I use m right sick, producing some fun maneuvers.

Here is the strange issue that has me wondering about the 8FG and the 8J looks like it does all I need really and 8 channels should be enough. He says he gets the same with the phantom and f450 I asked him a question as he obviously has an 8J too because he made the setup video most use for that radio.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNnYvD7p5RI[/youtube]

The 8J is a much better price and should be all I need I think, my other main concern is no steel bar no the radio so I cant mount my monitor on the radio as I do on the stock radio.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj