My Phantom 4 motors make noise when spinning them off

Reaction score
I have been flying my P4 for 8 months...today, when it was off, I just rotated the propeller with my hand and I noticed 2 motors don't make any noise when spinning them, and 2 make some noise. Is this normal? Can I keep flying? Everything else is perfect. Can you check yours to see if they make noise too...Thank you team. Attached is the youtube with the test.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Which two? And are you in the northern or Southern Hemisphere? Sorry, just kidding. I'm developing a little bit of a whine in one of my motors too. But only when powered on.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Just a theory (and I could be wrong) but I believe the front makes a noise as it's designed slightly differently from the back due to 2 reasons

1) to compensate for the weight of the camera and gimble more near the front

2) to compensate for the battery when it's slotted in as it's slightly more heavier at the front then the back

I could be wrong but it's just me thinking outside the box as usual

Neon Euc

Just a theory (and I could be wrong) but I believe the front makes a noise as it's designed slightly differently from the back due to 2 reasons

2) to compensate for the battery when it's slotted in as it's slightly more heavier at the front then the back

Neon Euc

I had a single motor making the same noise, and DJI told me to send mine in. It's finished and shipping back to me today. Warrantied by DJI

Neon Euc

Not true. All motors are equally rated.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I have been flying my P4 for 8 months...today, when it was off, I just rotated the propeller with my hand and I noticed 2 motors don't make any noise when spinning them, and 2 make some noise. Is this normal? Can I keep flying? Everything else is perfect. Can you check yours to see if they make noise too...Thank you team. Attached is the youtube with the test.
If your plastic prop mounts are tight, try pulling up slightly on three prop tensioners under the prop to make it sit more snugly. Mine made the same sound and it was just the prop rattling slightly making the noise. It will also produce a whine when the aircraft is flying.

Like mentioned above check to see if it's the propellor or the motor making the noise. Remove the prop and spin the motor bell to check. If the noise is coming from the motor then it's a bearing. I've changed the bearings in my P4 motors, they are the "693zz" type - two for each motor, i.e. same type as they use with the P3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers