My P4 doesn't fly smooth anymore - please help

Reaction score
I didn't use the bird since a while, but made all necessary FW upgrades,......

Yesterday and today I've tried out the P4 and it really doesn't fly smooth anymore. It's like it's breaking all the time and one can hear the motors working when breaking and accelerating. It sounds really strange and it also looks very strange when the bird flys like gliding over a bumpy road. Yesterday I did the IMU calibration, but it didn't help - same behavior today.

For me it looks very unsafe and I'm reluctant to fly since I expect that the P4 will fall out of the sky soon.
Maybe some of those new sensor based switches need to be switched off? I have no idea.

Also today I got a strong wind warning, but it wasn't really strong windy today.

What version of firmware are you running? What you are describing matches the problems some people are reporting with the latest firmware that was released in early July.

What version of firmware are you running? What you are describing matches the problems some people are reporting with the latest firmware that was released in early July.
Yes I just saw another discussion with oscillations - that's the same here. [emoji35]

I think I am on the latest Firmwares as DJI forces all people to upgrade.....
a1189af340f7ec37e6f9e6ceaca31d72.jpg

Hopefully you will get your issue resolved, but for the record, the above statement is completely false. I realize I have a P3 but the same applies to P4's and I am still running firmware that's over 1 1/2 years old and works great!
Just sayin' ;)

Yes I just saw another discussion with oscillations - that's the same here. [emoji35]

You're not forced to upgrade, but unfortunately DJI hasn't provided an official way to roll-back the upgrade or much indication they have a fix.

There is 3rd party software out there to do the rollback, but that's at your own risk. At the moment, the only real solution from DJI is to send the drone in for "repair".

I suspect there are some minor differences in hardware across the P4 that they didn't account for.

When I connect the P4 to DJI Assistant it offers me to upgrade to 2.xx106 - it downloads endless and the update fails at about 4% and then I am unable to get a firmware list again. Error code #3 btw....

What an easy to handle system....

When I connect the P4 to DJI Assistant it offers me to upgrade to 2.xx106 - it downloads endless and the update fails at about 4% and then I am unable to get a firmware list again. Error code #3 btw....

What an easy to handle system....

Make sure you're using the latest version of Assistant - DJI Phantom 4 – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads.

If that doesn't help, try disabling any firewall and anti-virus software on your computer.

No problem my friend, I quickly figured out what you meant. Waiting to see how your test flight goes with the upgrade. Good luck!
Well I flew it this later afternoon with calibrated VPS and V02.00.0106 fresh loaded.

No changes - it flys like gliding over a bumpy road. The noise of the motors sound like it's braking every 2-3 seconds. Flying backwards, sidewards is definitely better. Flying forward while ascending is much better than flying horizontally. I switched off all those fancy ground detection features - no improvement at all.

For me it looks like the front VPS is kicking in randomly and forces the P4 to brake. I also observed situations where the craft almost did a full brake without any obstacles in the front. The contrast of the ground might have changed in these full brake situations - the P4 almost had an angle of 90 degrees as it might have at full brake.

Airdata show those full brake events and there is not any obstacle. The height was pretty low, okay......

I'm very disappointed about this crazy flight behavior of a such nice flying bird in springtime.
d2d08394015af86f65d78f6e7f81df74.jpg

Well I flew it this later afternoon with calibrated VPS and V02.00.0106 fresh loaded.

No changes - it flys like gliding over a bumpy road.
It is very unfortunate that you cannot turn off the VPS in a P4, however, if I am not mistaken you can turn of the OA. If that is true, try that and see if that stops your braking issue. If so, that would tend to confirm your own theory, which would mean one of two things. It is a hardware issue with the OA, or its another firmware bug. I would suspect the latter of the two.

Yes, ( OA)

Will use Dumldore to go back to the previous firmware. Hope I don't brick the FC. I'm out this weekend and do it next week.

Regarding the YouTube videos I've seen, I'm very positive that this will fix the problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4