My P4 Back From DJI Service

Reaction score
Hello to all. If you followed my previous problem post, "Did Update Trash My P4" this is my report and update on the process. You may wish to go back and read the original post to see what brought this all about.

Here is a chronology of the process to date:
Shipped to DJI by UPS on 06/06/16
Checked in at DJI on 06/13/16
Repaired on 6/14/16
Shipped back date 06/16/16
Received this morning by UPS, 06/21/16

You hear a lot of comments about poor service from DJI, but I am here to tell you I think the service is great, and could really not be any faster! UPS shipping time takes up most of the "Away" time, repair time 4 days from the time it arrived until it was being shipped back.

From the repair invoice: It says Phantom 4 main control component replaced, unit price $96.
Was discounted at 100% so is a no charge repair, and they even paid the UPS Charges both ways.

Things that I noticed, after taking it out of the box. First, it has warning labels on all 4 arms about checking the propellers for proper instillation, before flight. Two of them say "match silver ring propellers with motors without dots", two of them say " match black ring propellers with motors with black dots"

Next I checked the Serial Number. My original P4 had Serial Number: 07DDD34 0A11648
The Serial Number on the one I now have is: 07DDD46 0B10346 Looks like I got a whole new P4!

Next I noticed that the rubber skid pads on the bottom now have the "Indicator Notch" where you snap on the Gimbel Protector. I also noticed that the lens has the peal off protector and a "half round" clear sticker on the bottom of the Gimbel Mount.

The SD card does not have any of my previous flight data, on the card. The only content is the P4_FW_LOG_AB.txt file. I am attaching a copy of the file, so those of you who read and decipher that kind of data can take a look. Is there anything on there of value to note? Just curious.

Have had 4 batteries and the Controller on charge for about an hour, will come back and add further information to this post as I get into the setup and testing of the P4. Really excited to get it in the air, but want to be very systematic about the "getting ready" process BEFORE the first flight.

Attachments

• P4_FW_LOG_AB.txt
    15.6 KB · Views: 395
Awesome! Very happy for you. It does sound like they sent you a new P4. Great outcome!

Last edited:
Spent a lot of time today going over all the settings, getting it all back where I wanted it to be.
Calibrated the IMU's and Compasses. All looks very good.

Checked out the calibration of the distance to object scale and it appears to really be doing great, so not going to attempt that calibration as it looks really good.

Now quite windy & gusty, so no flights until later this evening, when the wind dies down.

Just for the record, here are the versions being reported by the DJI GO info screen
Application: 2.8.3
Aircraft: 01.01.0411
Remote 1.6.0

I am ready to fly!

Seems like DJI is just replacing them rather than repair?

That's awesome!
But what happens to the like new units they receive for repair?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last evening I made the first flight with my repaired P4. (The New One)
I am really pleased with the way it flies and handles, so much better than what I had before!
There is absolutely no "bouncing" when coming down and stopping! It just stops and sets there, waiting for the next control input. I was able to bring it down quickly from 50', and let off the throttle at about 10 feet, and it just stops and hovers. The on screen indicator of "Height Above Ground" starts counting down at 30 feet, and seems to be within inches of the correct height, over lawn. Very stable, went cruising around the lawn at 3 feet above the ground, kept the height within inches, even with slight elevation changes in the ground level.

Took some sun set pictures and I am really pleased with the overall results. I really like the fact that the front Red LED's automatically blink off when the shutter is open! Never need to worry about the red glare, or forgetting to turn off the front lights before the flight. Will attach one of the sunset shots to this posting. I was up high enough that is was almost dark on the ground, but could see the sunset on the distant horizon. The camera detail and color seems to be much better than before, very pleased with the results.

This morning I got up and did a bunch of sunrise picture, as well as several minutes of movies, panning the area during the sunrise. Boy, is the movie quality ever better than it was on the last one! I don't know what has changed, but it is all for the better.

This morning I launched and went straight up to about 150'. Did a lot of rotation as well as a lot of different camera angle shots and movies. During the 20 minute flight, I never used the right stick to move the drone from the initial spot I went to on launch. When I got my 30 percent battery warning, I came straight down and was surprised to have the bird only about 15 inches off the take off spot! Very quiet morning, no wind at all, so that probably had a lot to do with it as well. But, boy did it ever hold position for that 20 or so minutes!

The current software all seems to be working well together. After what I have been through, this past couple of weeks, I am considering never doing another software update! I guess time will tell, especially if new functions and features get added sometime in the future.

Could not be more pleased with the results as well as the speed that DJI repaired and got it back to me. Can't say enough good about the job they did!
6_21_16_ss1_1.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic