My P3Ps got more miles going to and from DJI than under it's own power!

Reaction score
I have an ongoing experience with DJI that has been very frustrating. I crashed tearing off the camera requiring me to send it to them because my repair wasn't good enough. Since it was user error, they invoiced me. $139 for a gimbal roll axis component and a right landing gear module. Turn around time was about 2 weeks. I get it back and the camera functioned perfectly as I had hoped but I looked closely and it's a different serial # on the camera and the lens cover is scuffed. No big deal, I guess. As long as it works perfectly I was OK with it even though I'm pretty sure that you can't sell used parts as new unless you disclose it.

I start to fly it and realize that the GPS satellite count is down about 3 - 5 less than it was prior to the repair. The shell is definitely mine because of the FAA # in the battery box. Over the next month, I flew it many times and sent them many bitter complaints and flight logs to prove my point that I felt that I'd end up losing my bird because of GPS issues. They gave me lots of things to try but in the end, finally gave me the OK to send it back for the GPS problem. When I sent it in, I also told them in the notes to take a look at one of the motors that sounded a little rough when I spun it. Another 2 week turn around and I get my bird back. No bill this time but I was furious! The report said that "they detected" a problem with one of the motors and replaced it. It also said that they found no problem with the GPS. Several more angry notes back and forth and that's where I'm at right now. The bird flies perfectly and the camera and LightBridge work great but I have to be very aware of my satellite count at all times. Often, it'll go down to 7 or 8 and then I start getting the warnings. I don't dare fly in wind or go FPV for fear of it going into atti mode. It sometimes takes me several minutes and a couple of restarts to get it to lock in so it'll set a home point when I take off. I've been through all the calibrations (IMU & compass) several times and flown it in several different locations but the fact remains that if I fly it in the exact location that I flew it prior to the crash, there is a marked difference in the satellite count and I really don't know what to do next. I've been thinking of just buying a GPS module but I haven't seen it for sale yet on the DJI site.

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right or that the data will show up for anybody but me but here's links to two different flights. One before the "repair" and one after. Same location.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

If anybody has any idea about how to get something like this resolved with DJI (preferably without sending it in a third time!) I'm all ears. I really enjoy this hobby and I'm learning a lot, but DJI is really a pain to deal with when they just don't listen ( or just don't hear you). I'm done ranting now...... :)

Reactions: Reed L
Man, Your title alone had me rolling. Same is true with mine. I got it of Feb 13'th. Had signal issues from the start. Finally got really bad. Sent it in in early April. Complete warranty fix, no cost, but was $356 in parts paid by them. Got it back in two weeks (Great!) Everything great for a few days, then NEW issues pop up. Sent it back within a week. Another 2 weeks, another $105 in parts paid by them. (I own a Standard, by the way, only a $500 drone to begin with.) Got it back, again, good for couple days, then started acting screwy AGAIN. I pretty much went off. Anyway, I finally bludgeoned them into sending me a new drone at no cost. I got it in today. Got three EXCELLENT flights out of it. Hopefully this keeps up.

Reactions: Lefty63 and Reed L
Those several round trips to DJI repair center wasting time and resulting in no permanent fix is the worst customer experience I have ever received. To me it was 4 times round trip and problem was not fixed. Also they did not give me a brand new phantom.

DJI you are wasting money and resources by bringing to your service center the same drone over and over. Finally, you lose more than wasting money and resources and this is your reputation

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary M and Lefty63
DJI has really not improved at all. I own a P3S and a couple months ago it went down due to an ESC failure in flight. I sent it in to DJI and there was only a 3 week time span I was without it. I got it back and went out to fly right away with a battery already ready to go. I start it up and it immediately flips upside down in the driveway. From what I could tell, all they did was fix a motor and send it back without even testing. I was furious with DJI and they took it right back, I also left some nice notes on the repair sheet since it looks like their techs are just lazy. With the angry emails I was writing them and I was calling out DJI support on Twitter a lot, they only had it for 2 days before they sent it back and actually sent it back with express shipping, not the usual ground shipping.
This time I could see 2 motors got replaced this time along with the main board. I put dots on all the components to tell if they were replaced. A little over a month later, it is back in the air.
I'm happy DJI fixed their screw up but should of done it right the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Gary M
you guys should have sent it to me to begin with and this discussion wouldn't even exist ;)

over 1000 Phantoms in my shop over past 18 months and counting.
look me up, i don't think i can advertise in general posts :)

Oh, man! That's what I like about this site. No matter what your story, there's somebody else that has a better/worse tale. I also have to say that it is a great resource as well as an endless source of entertainment. I'm glad they finally made it right, dg8882. I agree that their techs seem to be lazy. They must think they know so much that they don't have to read all the notes and correspondence attached to a case. Then, when they decide what to do, they get whatever they need from the "good pile" of used parts. Maybe their repair service will evolve and improve over time. We can only hope. I hope you have many good flights with your repaired bird.

I don't have an issue sending mine to a shop but in my case before DJI repaired the camera, the GPS worked and now it's functionality is diminished. I want them to make it right including all the shipping cost.

Reactions: Lefty63
I don't have an issue sending mine to a shop but in my case before DJI repaired the camera, the GPS worked and now it's functionality is diminished. I want them to make it right including all the shipping cost.
WE should gang up on them. lol.

Those several round trips to DJI repair center wasting time and resulting in no permanent fix is the worst customer experience I have ever received. To me it was 4 times round trip and problem was not fixed. Also they did not give me a brand new phantom.

DJI you are wasting money and resources by bringing to your service center the same drone over and over. Finally, you lose more than wasting money and resources and this is your reputation
Man, I had to INSIST on it. Almost bully them, I swear. When I shipped it back to them the second time, I told them that if it comes back to me repaired I was shipping it right back to them. They repaired it. I said ok, just try it and see if it's ok. Then on day two or three, I went to do a shoot I'd been DREAMING of since before I got a drone, and an even better one two days later. It screwed up during my shoot. I was LIVID. I called them and pretty much came unglued.
Me: Told them that what I heard was true, that y'all make a bad *** piece of equipment but your service sucks. Then went on to explain that I REALLY just wish I had went with a Typhoon H and didn't even buy this piece of S...
Dji: Well sir, we can't replace it.
Me: Really?! Ok...so I bought this thing in Mid February and it's back and forth to you at least half of that time. You've put $500 worth of parts in a $500 drone, this isn't even smart for you.
Dji: Sir, is all I can say that you need to return it to where you bought it to get a replacement.
Me: That was from Pixelhub. They sell a TON of your stuff. But they only have a one week return policy, so I CAN'T get a replacement from them.
Dji: Well, I'm really sorry Sir, but...
Me: Ok, let me ask you a question. If I DID return it to P{ixelhub, and they sent me a new one, they are going to send the dysfunctional one back to you for a replacement, correct? I mean, Pixelhub isn't just going to eat the cost of a $500 drone.
Dji: Yes, that's correct. They would return it to us.
Me: So what's the F*&^%^g difference?!?! You people have held me up for months with this piece of junk and I want a new one, NOW.
Dji: ...........................Ok, let me put you on hold and talk to my manager a minute.
Dji,,five minutes later...Ok, Sir? I just spoke with my manager and he said to return it and if our techs see the problem you say you're having, we'll send you a brand new one. Free of charge.
ME: THANK you.

Again, the new one came in the mail yesterday, five great flights since I got it. So far so good. We'll see though.

Reactions: Lefty63 and 0DRK3RT
I've resigned myself to the fact that *when* my P3A decides to quit working mid-flight, that'll be the end of it. Hopefully my NAM insurance will cover the repair costs as promised. That said....

Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of people who replace broken parts on their P3's seem to lead to more problems? Fix a motor, the GPS is messed up. Fix a gimbal and now the camera won't connect. There are endless examples of repairs leading to more repairs, more problems, etc.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Revolving doors, like a bad, & I mean lousy, doctors office...

You have to wonder where these boys and girls were trained to service these technically involved @dji drones.

And of course, Did They RTFM?? Haha

RedHotPoker

Man, I had to INSIST on it. Almost bully them, I swear. When I shipped it back to them the second time, I told them that if it comes back to me repaired I was shipping it right back to them. They repaired it. I said ok, just try it and see if it's ok. Then on day two or three, I went to do a shoot I'd been DREAMING of since before I got a drone, and an even better one two days later. It screwed up during my shoot. I was LIVID. I called them and pretty much came unglued.
Me: Told them that what I heard was true, that y'all make a bad *** piece of equipment but your service sucks. Then went on to explain that I REALLY just wish I had went with a Typhoon H and didn't even buy this piece of S...
Dji: Well sir, we can't replace it.
Me: Really?! Ok...so I bought this thing in Mid February and it's back and forth to you at least half of that time. You've put $500 worth of parts in a $500 drone, this isn't even smart for you.
Dji: Sir, is all I can say that you need to return it to where you bought it to get a replacement.
Me: That was from Pixelhub. They sell a TON of your stuff. But they only have a one week return policy, so I CAN'T get a replacement from them.
Dji: Well, I'm really sorry Sir, but...
Me: Ok, let me ask you a question. If I DID return it to P{ixelhub, and they sent me a new one, they are going to send the dysfunctional one back to you for a replacement, correct? I mean, Pixelhub isn't just going to eat the cost of a $500 drone.
Dji: Yes, that's correct. They would return it to us.
Me: So what's the F*&^%^g difference?!?! You people have held me up for months with this piece of junk and I want a new one, NOW.
Dji: ...........................Ok, let me put you on hold and talk to my manager a minute.
Dji,,five minutes later...Ok, Sir? I just spoke with my manager and he said to return it and if our techs see the problem you say you're having, we'll send you a brand new one. Free of charge.
ME: THANK you.

Again, the new one came in the mail yesterday, five great flights since I got it. So far so good. We'll see though.

Gary,

I've tried to remain calm in dealing with these jerks. I have a P3P due tomorrow, after three returns. So we shall see what that brings. Maybe I should take your approach. This has been going on since March, and I to bought it from pixelhub, so thanks for that insight. As a side note, I've been in contact with pixelhub, and they've been great. They can't help, but the moral support has been very helpful.

Just throwing out an idea; the lettering you applied, any chance the paint or tape could interfere with the GPS?

I got my P3P today. It's the same unit I just shipped back! I immediately called asked to talk to Peter, i was told he was on another line and would call me back. After two hours, I called again and was told he went home for the day. Tiana tells me this unit is a new model right from China, and never been flown. I'm not buying that. It doesn't have the model number stickers on it. I told her I thought it was a refurb model. She told me to try flying it this weekend and see how it performs.
Getting really tired of the runaround here. I sent a new model in for repairs in March, paid for the repairs, and now I can't seem to get my original aircraft back.
There's only two suitable solutions to this problem. DJI can track down my original aircraft. (They said they had two shipping addresses on file for me. I bet that's where it went).
Or they can send me a brand new P3P to replace the one I sent in, and credit me for the repair cost.
That's it, no other solution exists. THEY lost my aircraft. THEY need to be held accountable for their actions.

I got my P3P today. It's the same unit I just shipped back! I immediately called asked to talk to Peter, i was told he was on another line and would call me back. After two hours, I called again and was told he went home for the day. Tiana tells me this unit is a new model right from China, and never been flown. I'm not buying that. It doesn't have the model number stickers on it. I told her I thought it was a refurb model. She told me to try flying it this weekend and see how it performs.
Getting really tired of the runaround here. I sent a new model in for repairs in March, paid for the repairs, and now I can't seem to get my original aircraft back.
There's only two suitable solutions to this problem. DJI can track down my original aircraft. (They said they had two shipping addresses on file for me. I bet that's where it went).
Or they can send me a brand new P3P to replace the one I sent in, and credit me for the repair cost.
That's it, no other solution exists. THEY lost my aircraft. THEY need to be held accountable for their actions.
Call and go ballistic on their asses!

It only took 4 months and multiple trips from the east coast to the west coast and back before DJI finally sent me a new P3P with a working camera!

Call and go ballistic on their asses!

I'm calling Peter on Monday. He told me I was getting a replacement unit. When I called yesterday, he never called me back, choosing instead to go home. I'm going nuts on him for that as well as the fact he didn't deliver what he promised.

It only took 4 months and multiple trips from the east coast to the west coast and back before DJI finally sent me a new P3P with a working camera!

I'm not waiting four months, if I can help it. Although its fast approaching that. I'm glad you stuck with it and finally got it taken care of. Boy their customer service sucks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj