My next quadcopter...

Reaction score
This looks to be my next quadcopter. Right in my price range.

protox_quadcopter.jpg

Think I can get a gimbal and GoPro mounted on this unit?

Get one, your gonna love it. It is rock solid in a hover too. But be careful with it, it is extremely fast. Make sure you pick up some AAA batteries (X2), as they are not included.

Can confirm.

It's fast, handles well, but note that the battery is not removable (afaik anyway).

I dunked one in a bowl of soup (no, she was not crazy about that stunt) and that was the end of it for mine.

Ksc said:
the only downside is the TX is tiny. If you have little hands you won't mind it.

I have a couple of these. They are fun around the house. I plunked one in a bowl of liquid cheese. The props rooster tailed some cheese on a friend as he was walking in the room.

As far as controllers go, they are small but if you happen to have a little QR1 quad those bigger controllers work with these too. I am sure there are others that will bind to them too.

Like I said on another post about these-

Push straight down on the right stick, it is a button and it will put you in a more aggressive mode. Actually it is much easier to fly this way. Reacts faster. Without it they react slowly and you will drift more and it doesn't allow time for correction.

Also when you find you have to trim them a lot and they are all over the place-
Set all trims to zero
Take the left stick and push down like you are flying backwards and slide it to the right, while holding that take the right stick and go side to side and it will reset it so it will fly nice again. The lights will blink if you did it right.

Nice one!
Besides my P2V I've also got a "Hubsan X4 V2" for Indore flying, and I'm about to order a Hoverthings flip for some serious longrange FPV'ing.

I've got one too. If you have a Hubsan X4, you can use the transmitter for that with the little Proto X for much more enjoyable flight.

As it shares the same gyro recalibrate stick actions as the X4, and the same right stick press down to enter "expert" mode I assume it'll do auto-flips in expert mode like the X4? E.g. push all the way right quickly, then immediately all the way left for an auto-flip to the left and recover. Also works for forward and back flips... Need high ceilings though or a calm day outside as they lose a bit of height, naturally.

fly-catchers said:
Doesn't look as if you can get that in the UK- pity!

I am sure you will get them. They have gotten very popular, fast. Keep looking. Maybe under different name.

Re: My next quadcopter --- with camera?

So, what is the next size up from this that has a camera, any kind of camera?

Just got mine. So far a nightmare to fly!! Guess too used to the Phantom and I expect the Phantom would fly a bit like that in manual mode. As soon as I take off it flies straight towards me and crashes as I do a sudden land. Feel I need to fly it in the field I take my Phantom- at least I can stand further away from it!

I did the accelerometer calibration but it still heads straight back- no chance of some nice hovering. What am I doing wrong?

Also the usb lead for charging seems a bit feeble. When you plug it into the pc the led on it lights up but after a couple of minutes goes off. If you wiggle the lead you can get it back on again for a second or so. Funny thing is if you unplug the lead from the pc with it still connected to the Q4 the led light stays on no matter what- so it can't be a poor connection or is it?

If dialling in a little forward trim won't settle it, a "pro tip" from my X4 flying is to recalibrate the gyro but do it with something like a playing card under the two rear feet. Then try again and see if you can sort it out with just a little trim. If not, try two cards (or sometimes even use sheets of paper if it's only slightly off). The aim is to trick it into seeing a new straight and level just enough that you only need a couple of clicks of trim to get it holding true.

But yes, a whole different kettle of fish to the Vision - you've got to be flying these little beasts all the time. No such things as "hands off" for more than a couple of seconds. :)

I have not tried the trim controls yet. Do you just click them "once" and see what difference it makes and them carry on "clicking" till it gives you the result you want? Currently after a small crash it now flys to the right as soon as it takes off! I have tried the other set of props supplied & another calibration but still going right. Funny I feel far more nervous flying this craft than the Phantom! Though flying the Phantom indoors and on manual would be another matter! :lol:

Yes, trim basically electronically adds a small amount of control input in the direction of the press, the idea being if you are having to constantly hold forward stick to keep it in one place, click the forward trim a couple of times, ease back on the stick and see what happens. Rinse and repeat. The goal is to add just enough trim so that when the stick is centred it doesn't want to move forward any more (apart from under the influence of its own propwash, any wind, the cat... manual mode, right!?). If you need more that 4 or 5 clicks then try recalibrating on a tilt as I mentioned to get it nearly there, then use the trim for getting it right there.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4