My new "MIDI" Antenna.....

Reaction score
Big Chuck's thread "How Far Can You Fly" spurred my azz to finish a project that I've been wanting to build for awhile now, a mid ranged flat panel array....finished the mock up the other night....

Attachments

• Midi1.JPG
    Midi1.JPG
    390.9 KB · Views: 421
That Chuck is something isn't he.... LOL!

What are your expectations with this new antenna setup?

The Swarm got rained out this morning so I caught a dry period and went down to the park to try it out...too many people to do any range tests but this thing is sure easier to focus than my long range array. Came home and got to work on the final.....measure twice - cut once....

Attachments

• Midi2.JPG
    Midi2.JPG
    507.8 KB · Views: 479
  • Midi3.JPG
    Midi3.JPG
    484.4 KB · Views: 447
And the final product...I'll update this thread when I get a nice day for extreme testing....

Attachments

• Midi5.JPG
    Midi5.JPG
    424.1 KB · Views: 448
  • Midi4.JPG
    Midi4.JPG
    436.4 KB · Views: 446
flyNfrank said:

It's hard to keep up with Big Chuck....dude is a brain surgeon.... :mrgreen:

I conservatively expect somewhere in the 2-3 mile range....depends on boosted/unboosted or amps/no amps..I'll test every combo and update this thread...14dbi on the 5G8 and dual polarity 12dbi on the 2G4.....

mede8er said:
flyNfrank said:

I conservatively expect somewhere in the 2-3 mile range....depends on boosted/unboosted or amps/no amps..I'll test every combo and update this thread...14dbi on the 5G8 and dual polarity 12dbi on the 2G4.....

Let me make a small request on your test reports. Please do use that may be following you on this subject a small favor. Try and add your updates to your 1st post in this thread. That way we won't have to get the shovel out to find your most recent additions.

I was curious if you will have to do any manual adjusting of the antenna based on quad location while in flight?

flyNfrank said:
mede8er said:
flyNfrank said:

Let me make a small request on your test reports. Please do use that may be following you on this subject a small favor. Try and add your updates to your 1st post in this thread. That way we won't have to get the shovel out to find your most recent additions.

I was curious if you will have to do any manual adjusting of the antenna based on quad location while in flight?

Will do Frank...and yes these directional antennas have a very focused beam, that's what makes them so powerful....my analogy is the difference between a sniper rifle and a shotgun......you must keep the array trained on the bird at all times....

Maybe I should add a scope..... :mrgreen:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj