My IOC is caddywompus

Reaction score
Can somebody help me with my IOC? I take off, switch modes and use the grid with the centerpoint to reset - but when I head towards the target the drone either veers left of the target going out or right when returning. I'm using stick mode to 2.

It's unlikely there's a problem with the quad.
It's usually the operator ;) :)

CL can be very confusing at first and doesn't vary by mode per se (just Throttle and Pitch are on opposite sticks).
Have you watched any YouTube vids on Course Lock?
If a picture is worth a 1000 words, what's a video worth???

Reactions: bobmyers
I appreciate the reply Bob. Yes, I have watched the videos, but maybe I missed something. I know it's not the same, but I've got hundreds of hours on flight sims as well as some RC helicopter experience. The feel of the rotating and pitch feels natural and has been mostly effortless.

The problem is my endpoints seem to keep shifting. In fact, moving backwards and forwards without constant monitoring is not possible at all. The end point at both ends just seems to randomly change even without turning. It will go in a straight line while turning, but I either have to strafe (pitch) left or right to stay on course. I can't concentrate on filming.

I was thinking my throttle and rotation as well as my forward and reverse pitch stayed on the same stick in IOC. Why would they change?

Ok, here is a video of what is happening to me. I know this is a RR, I know there is metal, but this is happening everywhere I fly. I cannot shoot video and count on this quad keeping a straight course. In the video, I'm setting the IOC and reset the direction about 3-5 feet right of the tracks below the bridge. As you will see, turning the quad does nothing and I end of pitching right to correct. I get it straightened out and try again and finally give up on it.

Ok, here is a video of what is happening to me. I know this is a RR, I know there is metal, but this is happening everywhere I fly. I cannot shoot video and count on this quad keeping a straight course. In the video, I'm setting the IOC and reset the direction about 3-5 feet right of the tracks below the bridge. As you will see, turning the quad does nothing and I end of pitching right to correct. I get it straightened out and try again and finally give up on it.

Video is marked private.

hum Does it do this all the time or did it just do it while flying along the railroad tracks????/

I had some thing sort of simular happen with mine after one of the firmware updates. Tho in my case it would fly straight when going forward but when I would let go of the stick it. Instead of stopping it would hook about 6 feet to the left then if I brought it back towards be in reverse it would to do the same thing only it would hook to the right after letting go of the stick and is some thing thats never happened before on the p3 and never had it happen on any of my other phantoms.

Tho after I recalibrate the IMU again and also a compass calibration it seemed to stop doing it.

It does it all the time since the 1.3.2 update. I recalibrated the compass and gimbal. Let me try that. Thank you.

it's normal to the ioc is on and the switch in the RC is in the middle ... !!!

It does it all the time since the 1.3.2 update. I recalibrated the compass and gimbal. Let me try that. Thank you.

Anything metal like train tracks will play havoc on the compass.. first test ioc in an open field to get a baseline. Make sure you have a valid compass calibration before trying though.

Unfortunately the video doesn't provide any information in regards to if it is pilot inputs...or otherwise. If your flight with forward/reverse of your right stick has any lateral movement at all...it will drift in that direction. It is possible you are leaning on the stick left or right. If you have the iOS version of the application, you can replay the flight record in app...and turn on stick input display (android doesn't have this feature) to see if you are inadvertently giving it any Lateral direction along with the forward/reverse:
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1439071782.965496.jpg

If you find for your uses you feel the craft is overly sensitive to your lateral inputs, you can lower the EXPO in Gain & Expo tuning. There is a good overview of that here:

It is also possible that your RC stick calibration is off. You can see this in RC Settings, RC Calibration.

it's normal to the ioc is on and the switch in the RC is in the middle ... !!!

@Nizar Ghosn - yes it is but I checked that. I'm going all the way forward and all the way back with that switch to get to the reset direction screen.

@TAZ - I was thinking that also and was doing everything I could to make sure I was simply going forward. I'm looking up how to access that flight record, but not having much luck at the moment.

Thank you very much. It's been a frustrating day. I was on those tracks, in a beautiful wooded area and in a lazy river bed through 5 batteries. I bet I don't have 5 minutes of usable video because of having to 'BUMP' the camera around to readjust trajectory. The only great shots were the fly ups and downs.

As stated in other threads, IOS doesn't use GPS to hold a perfect line. It will drift with a breeze. I haven't used it for a while, probably since the first time I tried it on a calm day, and flipped to it today for a cool waterfall shot, and the P3 went waaaaaaaaay sideways with the wind really quickly. Haha I switch back to GPS and throttled up. All was good. But in the middle of drifting all in thinking was "Oh yah!!!!"

As stated in other threads, IOS doesn't use GPS to hold a perfect line. It will drift with a breeze. I haven't used it for a while, probably since the first time I tried it on a calm day, and flipped to it today for a cool waterfall shot, and the P3 went waaaaaaaaay sideways with the wind really quickly. Haha I switch back to GPS and throttled up. All was good. But in the middle of drifting all in thinking was "Oh yah!!!!"

Well that explains a thing or two. Can 3rd party apps fix this ?

I'm not sure, I haven't used any. I'm sure something like Litchi can do it, but it's Android only right now. Worth checking out.

Mode 1 and/or 2 don't create the issues you describe.
Mode 1, compared to Mode 2, simply swaps the function of the L & R stick's vertical channels.

i.e. In Mode 1 the throttle is on the Right stick and Pitch is on the Left stick.

CL is confusing at first.
There is so much written as well as video turtorials to help explain it.
If at first you don't understand... try and try again!

I don't recall anyone having any type of verifyable defect with the quad causing the confusion.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20