my h265 raw footage looks awful

Reaction score
Footage shot in H265 4k 30fps on my P4P looks horrendous. Lots of banding and pulsing every 1 second, sometimes the video cuts up into these little boxes, etc. I've watched the raw footage on my machine in various viewers as well as on my OLED 4k tv and its the same no matter where I watch. Any ideas why it's doing this? This was using the default SD card that came with the P4P.

Raw video if anyone wants to see it. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9D...ew?usp=sharing

I am sorry if I sound like a noob. Is that the new format that is largely unsupported by editors?

I have also now tried a factory reset using assistant 2, and a 3rd SD card. It's pretty noticeable though. If I transcode the video to make proxies, it carries over into the proxies. Right now I'm trying to render one of the videos to an h264 format (no post modifications just raw video) to see if it carries over there too. (I'm guessing it will)

I have also now tried a factory reset using assistant 2, and a 3rd SD card. It's pretty noticeable though. If I transcode the video to make proxies, it carries over into the proxies. Right now I'm trying to render one of the videos to an h264 format (no post modifications just raw video) to see if it carries over there too. (I'm guessing it will)
I am betting it will too

I am betting it will too
Yep, it did.

I tried a downgrade of the firmware, same result. I am grabbing short videos for samples to send to DJI support. For me the h265 would be nice because it sounds like it gives you greater post-processing dynamic range/depth, but I'm ok using h264 in the interim. I saw another thread on this topic similar, but I didn't see anyone post raw footage so I wasn't sure how many others might be experiencing this. I'll post the smaller files once I have them since I downloading a 4 gig file can be a pain.

So, after downgrading then upgrading again, the H265 banding I was seeing seems gone? :confused: No more blocky stuff, no more banding. I did a back to back H265/H264 test of the same spots and the footage looks correct now for H265. Reminds me of "falls into a well, her eyes go cross, gets kicked by a mule and they go back to normal". :p

Yeah, I've tested both H.264 and H.265 and didn't see any problems with H.265 other than my Windows 10 PC runs the H.265 video real slow in Media Explorer. I can't say yet that I notice any difference in recorded detail so that is uncertain at this time even though H.265 is supposed to retain more detail.

Brian

Reactions: F3honda4me
Yeah, I've tested both H.264 and H.265 and didn't see any problems with H.265 other than my Windows 10 PC runs the H.265 video real slow in Media Explorer. I can't say yet that I notice any difference in recorded detail so that is uncertain at this time even though H.265 is supposed to retain more detail.

Brian
I'm just glad I got it fixed, it took reverting then going back to current firmware haha. Now it looks like my H264 as well. I can't decide if I want to record in h265 just yet though as like you I have not been able to determine much difference between the two in pre or post.

If there's no actual improvement in the recorded video there would be very little reason to use H.265 given the fact that most PC's and operating systems aren't fully H.265 compliant at this time. That should be fairly soon but you never know. I need to do a more critical test to see if I can tell any difference in detail and quality using H.265 versus H.264.

Brian

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31