My FPV Setup.... Any Guidance on Improvements

Reaction score
This is my current setup and the range is decent but I'd like minimize the interference I get ( better antennas ? ) and extend my FPV range the best I can get. Really do a lot of FPV flying on my property were I lose sight of my Phantom. I don't mind replacing my components with better ones if needed. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

Phantom 2
Black Pearl Monitor
DJI AVL 58 ( standard white 5.8ghz antenna)
DJI FPV Hub
DJI IOSD Mini
Black Pearl Monitor ( 2 black antennas it comes with)
H3-3D Gimbal
GoPro Hero 3 / Black Edition

ASO544 said:
This is my current setup and the range is decent but I'd like minimize the interference I get ( better antennas ? ) and extend my FPV range the best I can get. Really do a lot of FPV flying on my property were I lose sight of my Phantom. I don't mind replacing my components with better ones if needed. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

Phantom 2
Black Pearl Monitor
DJI AVL 58 ( standard white 5.8ghz antenna)
DJI FPV Hub
DJI IOSD Mini
Black Pearl Monitor ( 2 black antennas it comes with)
H3-3D Gimbal
GoPro Hero 3 / Black Edition

Yes, definitely antennas!!! The rest of your setup sounds great. You will notice a huge improvement. I use www.FPVLR.com Antennas and they work great.

And a lot of weight...49 grams. My 500mw vTx weighs but 7g. Probably a power hog as well.

I noticed on my first flights that after only about 520 feet the screen doesn´t show anything at all anymore. I use the AVL58 with its original antenna and a Boscam LCD screen with built-in receiver and two original antennas on the monitor.

Is 520 feet a way to short range with original antennas or does that range sound pretty normal? i thought i would get at least a couple of times that distance?
So how can i improve the range by a great distance? Is it only better antennas or is there anything else that can be done?

I spilled some coffee on the antenna and possibly the AVL58 as well, i used a hairdryer to dry it. But i doubt thats what makes such a short range?

Any other antenna / transmitter suggestions? Been looking and there are so many choices!!!

That Black Mamba transmitter is severely overpowered you don't need anything like that on a Phantom. 400-600mW with excellent antennas will get you more more FPV range than your Phantom has battery power/ flight time know what I mean?

Do you understand the 2 different channel / frequency sets in use in 5.8Ghz FPV? Your DJI AVL58 uses the Boscam/Foxtech set of channels, but since you have a Black Pearl receiver I'm betting it was the 32 channel version which supports both sets of channels, yes?

So when you get a new transmitter, you really can get either type, I say stick with Boscam since they're cheaper. There's the TS353 400mW, I personally have the TS352 500mW but some people don't like it because it sucks a lot of power and has a fan. Then there's the TS832 600mW.

now, regardless of transmitter you want top quality antennas. I also vouch for the FPVLR set they're amazing definitely worth the money. with one of the aforementioned transmitters and those antennas you should be doing 1-2km FPV easy in a low-interference environment. The helix antenna that comes with the bundle is a "10k antenna" (fixed wing guys need that kind of range). I personally use it in higher interference urban environment and I've been out over 600m with perfect fpv

Just ordered the set linked above from FPVLR.Com. See what that does with my AVL58. Read lots of good stuff and it sounds like the AVL58 is fine with the right antennas.

I'm pretty sure both my AVL58 and BP are 8 channels.... Unless I'm missing something.

Also... When in diversity mode on the BP, it shouldn't matter which antenna goes on which side... Correct?

Thanks again guys!!!

ASO544 said:
opps...its the 32 Channel model!!

Good, then you should be fine. It has 4 groups of 8 Channels each, one of those matches the set of 8 used by the AVL58. This means you will have to do two things:

1. Make sure the BP is set to the right group of 8 channels (I think it's "A" or "B" but I'm not sure)

2. Make sure the BP and AVL58 are both set to the same specific channel within that group of 8

OI Photography said:
The BP is either 7 channels or 32 channels...to be compatible with the AVL58 you need a 32-channel model.

OI I know this isn't exactly on topic but I realized something the other day... my Boscam RX-LCD5802 is a 32ch receiver... 4 banks of 8 channels each.... have you heard of anyone using it with the iRC 600mW? I may go post a thread about it but if it works well with that IRC transmitter it may be a better 32ch LCD solution than the BP since a lot of people say that BP 32ch doesn't even work well with the IRC

I'm pretty sure the boscam monitor doesn't have the channel set used by Immersion, but it would be easy to check with a listing of the specific frequencies from it's spec sheet.

OI Photography said:
I'm pretty sure the boscam monitor doesn't have the channel set used by Immersion, but it would be easy to check with a listing of the specific frequencies from it's spec sheet.

actually it does claim to support that frequency set. I'm sitting here right now comparing the ImmersionRC channel list and it lines up with the D group of channels on the RX-LCD5802.

That being said, my question was more along the lines of this: The 32ch Black Pearl receiver supports the exact same set of frequencies as the Boscam LCD5802 (BP has groups ABEF instead of Boscam's ABCD but the graph is identical)

I know people often say the 32ch BP doesn't perform well with the IRC, I wonder if the Boscam which is cheaper and supposedly supports the exact same channels may be a better option (in terms of compatibility)

I'll post an actual thread about it

ASO544 said:
Just ordered the set linked above from FPVLR.Com. See what that does with my AVL58. Read lots of good stuff and it sounds like the AVL58 is fine with the right antennas.

I'm pretty sure both my AVL58 and BP are 8 channels.... Unless I'm missing something.

Also... When in diversity mode on the BP, it shouldn't matter which antenna goes on which side... Correct?

Thanks again guys!!!

Avl58 it's fine for beginning fpv , I did hit 600meter with the stock antennas and dji reciever and video was stil good , I did get a huge wave of static when I turned back but that's to be expected ... I will order the fpvlr set when I get confident enough to go even further.

Already ordered my flytrex lol

I got the FPVLR antennas and wow... Took my P2 and AVL58 out to 1600 meters... Pretty much perfect video there and back !!!!!! Antennas definitely make or break an FPV SETUP

I just ordered mine from you and can't wait to see the range. I am very excited. I'm waiting on all my fpv gear to arrive. I figure if I am going to do it right, do it once with the best.

Tony,

Quick question. The only time I had any video issue, and it was minor, was when returning straight to me from way out. I'm sure the camera was getting in front of the antenna in that position. Would a longer whip that hung down below the camera/gimbal be a better solution.

Also my one antenna is a 4.25 turn helix.. What would one of your 8, 10 or 12 turns do better? Worth the upgrade?

Regardless.... AWESOME antennas !!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4