My first P4P glitches

Reaction score
My P4P is my first drone so naturally I'm new to all this and still learning all I can, having only completed around 5 successful flights thus far. Today is the first time things didn't go smoothly. Started out fine with fairly low winds and I decided I wanted to fly toward this big mountain and get a shot from around 350 feet so as I ascended I noticed my usual data at the bottom of the screen which tells me what height I'm at had frozen at 40m when I was well above that level. I spotted an eagle flying around the mountain at that time anyway so descended back to my pad. Not far away from the ground I got a message that was something like "error disconnected from DJI app. Would you like to restart?" I clicked no and it reconnected and I landed. Did freak me out a bit as I had no idea what caused the problem. Had 15 satellites the whole time each time I checked and the only thing I can think interfered at the end could be there was a metal gate and power lines about 30-40m away. Everything else was paddock and grass. The other thing is this was my first flight with a new battery and I had recently done the firmware upgrade to latest on it the night before. I had calibrated the compass before flight as I do before every flight. Has anyone any clue why this might have happened or has it happened to you?

My P4P is my first drone so naturally I'm new to all this and still learning all I can, having only completed around 5 successful flights thus far. Today is the first time things didn't go smoothly. Started out fine with fairly low winds and I decided I wanted to fly toward this big mountain and get a shot from around 350 feet so as I ascended I noticed my usual data at the bottom of the screen which tells me what height I'm at had frozen at 40m when I was well above that level. I spotted an eagle flying around the mountain at that time anyway so descended back to my pad. Not far away from the ground I got a message that was something like "error disconnected from DJI app. Would you like to restart?" I clicked no and it reconnected and I landed. Did freak me out a bit as I had no idea what caused the problem. Had 15 satellites the whole time each time I checked and the only thing I can think interfered at the end could be there was a metal gate and power lines about 30-40m away. Everything else was paddock and grass. The other thing is this was my first flight with a new battery and I had recently done the firmware upgrade to latest on it the night before. I had calibrated the compass before flight as I do before every flight. Has anyone any clue why this might have happened or has it happened to you?

Hmmm ,got cut off on the last reply. iPad freeze up or something. Well join the gang of many with freeze up problems. I have had my P4P+ for a few months an had no worries until the update came last week. I don't trust the thing getting an further tha 500 feet from me now. The app freezes about every 3rd flight. A message appears letting me know and confirms the problem. Reboot the app and it starts working again. Aircraft stays connected during these times and is still controllable. Anybody out there with some good advise? I also have a Mavic. Love them both

Reactions: AyeYo
Hmmm ,got cut off on the last reply. iPad freeze up or something. Well join the gang of many with freeze up problems. I have had my P4P+ for a few months an had no worries until the update came last week. I don't trust the thing getting an further tha 500 feet from me now. The app freezes about every 3rd flight. A message appears letting me know and confirms the problem. Reboot the app and it starts working again. Aircraft stays connected during these times and is still controllable. Anybody out there with some good advise? I also have a Mavic. Love them both
Are your rebooting the Plus Screen with the button on the top or rebooting the RC with the full power button? Curiosity for when it hits me soon :eek:

Hi there, no, the message that comes up has 2 choices.. WAIT or Restart app. Pushing the wait could take who knows how long???? I usually just push the restart choice , the screen goes blank and reboots. Never had it happen twice in one flight. All started with last weeks up date...[emoji83][emoji83][emoji83][emoji83]

Think I took screen shot of the message. I'll send it to you..

Hi there, no, the message that comes up has 2 choices.. WAIT or Restart app. Pushing the wait could take who knows how long???? I usually just push the restart choice , the screen goes blank and reboots. Never had it happen twice in one flight. All started with last weeks up date...[emoji83][emoji83][emoji83][emoji83]

Think I took screen shot of the message. I'll send it to you..
Sounds like a screen/tablet reboot versus a full RC reboot. That makes sense since the AC seems to maintain contact with the RC and does not appear to auto-RTH.

Yeah , I'm not showing any reboot of the RC.. just the running app. Now I just went out and flew 2 batteries and no issues... who knows.. maybe the will throw an updated app out there with fixes... set it up so I can put Letchi on board[emoji41] let's hope!

Well this seems to confirm it was the update. Was pretty scary particularly since I wanted to get to the ground away from this eagle. What about rolling back the firmware with assistant? Would that be okay to try? What version specifically have people found to be the best one?

Last edited:
My controller (regardless of whether unit is on or off) is now crashing at least once or more every time I turn it on now and I have no idea what to do about it :/ I don't even want to fly at all while this is going on.

Do not calibrate compass unless prompted by app

I read that in the manual but I keep seeing you tube videos by professionals telling me to calibrate before every flight so never sure which it is. Plus I am traveling around the perimeter of Australia so figured that might throw some things off possibly? So to be on the safe side I've just calibrated anyway. The controller app actually seemed to stop crashing on its own.. for now.

I don't know who the "professionals" were but the authorized vendors and staff members here recommend ONLY calibrating the compasses when prompted by the app.
I don't know which authorized vendors you're referring to, but I always recommend calibrating the compass per the Compass Calibration Guide.

Reactions: OOO
I've deleted my posts since I'm obviously wrong. Do what you want I'll stick with my mistaken assumptions and continue to only calibrate when the app calls for it. By the way I have NO issues with my P4P.

What pad are you using for flying iOS or Android?.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.