My First Crash - Question on Failure

Reaction score
So today I had my first crash with my P2v+. I had not used it in a while (been using my P3) so I took it down to a local park to drain a couple of the batteries. Everything checked out so I took off. Raised it up about 5’ and it started to tip over toward one motor. A split second later (almost at the same time) the prop on that motor came spinning off. P2 fell onto the soft grass and a few seconds later the prop stopped spinning in flight and it fell to the ground also. I turned the battery off and inspected. No damage. I turned it back on and everything worked just fine. I took off again and climbed to about 2’. Immediately it appeared that one of the motors stopped working and it fell to the grass. One prop broke and another stuck in the ground (very soft soil). Did not appear to be any other damage. About 2 weeks ago I was flying the P2, testing out the circle POI when it dropped from about 30’ to 20’ as if a motor cut out. But it seemed fine after that.

I think we all know where this is going… appears to me that one of the ESC’s is failing. The P2 is about 5 months old. Never any issues. I’ve read all of the posts about DJI and failed ESC’s but only a few posts from people who have followed up with the outcome. The ones I recall are that DJI offered to sell a discounted Phantom to them. Any idea what the current state of affairs is with DJI and failing ESCs? Keep in mind that I _think_ it’s an ESC and if this is what it is, that it appears to fail only under high load.

I'm also thinking about setting up some controlled area and filming another take off of the Phantom. I'm betting under a slight load that same motor is going to stop working again. The P2 is only 6 months old. I'd think an argument could be made that a failure of the motor at this time would mean it's defective.

Your thoughts?

tcope, is it a V3? could be bad solder or the ESC... At least ya have a back up? or this was your back up :)

tcope, is it a V3? could be bad solder or the ESC... At least ya have a back up? or this was your back up :)
It's P2vplus, I still can use my P3. I think its an ESC as the motors run fine for about 5 seconds and then one seems to quit. I'm going to get some high speed and close up video and then send to DJI. I'll also post here before I send it out.

Protect that camera. Even a controlled crash can cost big buck if it trashes the gimbal.

So I set up cameras and taped the Phantom to a table. Spun up the props and everything worked just fine. I set up the cameras again and took it outside. Hovered it and it flew fine. I moved it around in a circle about 2' off the ground and nothing went wrong. I _think_ something might have over-heated before. Both times I had issues I was on a second battery with no breaks. I'll take it out this weekend and do a little more flying but take a break between batteries and see what happens.

After the first battery check the motors by touch and see if any are getting hot. With the high temperatures we have been having 95-99 degrees the unit needs a break between flights to cool down. Good rule of thumb if we're hot so is the quad. If we're cool and feal go same goes for the quad. If the temp outside is high your pushing hot air to try and keep things cool... Not happening.. Threat her nice and she'll be nice to you.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj