My F550 crash - 4/12/15

Reaction score
I was planning to get some great aerial coverage of the 1st 5th scale race held at the Winchester RC Club but unfortunately I crashed early that morning. As you can see by the short amount of time in the air, the track is outstanding. It definitely is a great track for 5th Scale Racing.

I've got her back together and ready for the 1st test flight after a crash. The only cool thing about these crashes is the onboard video captured. LOL!!

I have no idea why she crashed. As she was flying away and going into a dive, I glanced at the screen and I still saw over 10 satellites present. I get just a runaway that didn't go very far. LOL!!!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That was cool video, looked like a flat spin. Great footage too. It's nice the rock didn't quite reach the lens.

That was a Hero 3+ ?
Would you mind sharing your settings for that video.

Thanks.

That was cool video, looked like a flat spin. Great footage too. It's nice the rock didn't quite reach the lens.

That was a Hero 3+ ?
Would you mind sharing your settings for that video.

Thanks.
Yes it is. I have it set on 1080, Wide, 30 fps. It also always set for taking photos while it's flying.

:eek: Sure hope you didn't have to much damage bro !!
Oh yea..Thanks for your service ! ;)

I was lucky, just an arm and 5 props......not expensive to fix. I've got her all put pack together and ready for that first test flight after a crash. That's always the scary part. We'll see what happens.

Did a motor fail?
I could never figure it out but I was able to get her back in the air 4 days later after a few repairs and adjustments.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Everything was fine. I think it was just a runaway that crashed quickly.

If you're using a gimbal that's supposed to be level, I would suspect compass interference or a need for IMU calibration. In many flyaway videos, you see the gimbal misbehaving as well. That's consistent with IMU and/or compass issues that are also causing the bird to be unable to balance properly.

Any possibility that you were on a overlapping frequency with another RC? And when they turned on, you lost control, or when the Phantom got close enough to the other controller, it burned through?

If you're using a gimbal that's supposed to be level, I would suspect compass interference or a need for IMU calibration. In many flyaway videos, you see the gimbal misbehaving as well. That's consistent with IMU and/or compass issues that are also causing the bird to be unable to balance properly.

All comments great in theory but for this instance, all calibrations were done, gimbal was level at takeoff, 12 satelites displayed on screen, etc. This bird just went crazy for this one instance. I lifted off to about 20 feet and then it just took off like a bat out of hell and crashed. It was non-responsive to any stick inputs.

Any possibility that you were on a overlapping frequency with another RC? And when they turned on, you lost control, or when the Phantom got close enough to the other controller, it burned through?

I wondered about the RC cars in the vicinity but this wasn't the first time that I've flown around other RC but it did cross my mind. If that was the case, how do I prevent this from happening again?

I wondered about the RC cars in the vicinity but this wasn't the first time that I've flown around other RC but it did cross my mind. If that was the case, how do I prevent this from happening again?

Not sure.. But I was advised by a friend that I shouldn't fly my Phantom with other RC on the same freq... I know the 2.4 pairs to a certain controller, but without the ability to check paired signal vs other RC on the same freq, it's a crap shoot.

Maybe "Blade Strike" Can comment...
Without a spectrum analyzer its anyone's guess. If failsafe was properly done it should have went into failsafe if signal got hosed anyways.

This looks more like a hardware failure or IMU failure. Without logs its truly anyone's guess.

Without a spectrum analyzer its anyone's guess. If failsafe was properly done it should have went into failsafe if signal got hosed anyways.

This looks more like a hardware failure or IMU failure. Without logs its truly anyone's guess.

In regards to hardware failure or IMU failure, is this just a matter of recalibrating or would something need replacing? I'm flying great now. I just took this video yesterday and everything went well.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I can't say for certain that other RCs didn't confuse it but that is what the binding process is supposed to protect you from. The receiver only responds to RC signals that have matching binding information. If there were so many RC signals, yours couldn't get through, the NAZA should simply go into F/S.

All comments great in theory but for this instance, all calibrations were done, gimbal was level at takeoff, 12 satelites displayed on screen, etc. This bird just went crazy for this one instance. I lifted off to about 20 feet and then it just took off like a bat out of hell and crashed. It was non-responsive to any stick inputs.

Crashed at a slow rate of descent I would assume? That is consistent with flyaways caused by bad gyro or compass data. Any chance the take off surface was concrete or something that could have metal in it?

Crashed at a slow rate of descent I would assume? That is consistent with flyaways caused by bad gyro or compass data. Any chance the take off surface was concrete or something that could have metal in it?

It was dirt and as a matter of fact my last two crashes have started when taking off from a dirt area and grassy area. I just think it was fluke of some kind. It's been flying great ever since this last crash.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic