My Experiences with FPVLR Advanced Kit, P3 [3.5 Mile Video] [UPDATE]

Reaction score
Most recent info, as of 8/3/15:

Just a quick update for anyone still interested in this stuff.

I ended up selling my P3 controller with FPVLR advanced kit (I also had to sell my entire P3 setup in the process as nobody wanted just the controller, at the price I was asking).

For me, the controller was too cumbersome. I like to get out in the field and start flying immediately with the least amount of assembly required, and the main issues I had with the FPVLR kit were:

1) Size - I had to have a separate carry bag because they wouldn't fit in any of my phantom bags. This is especially troublesome when I want to have one carry-on case for flying on airlines.
2) Booster charging - For me, having to come in after each flight and charge a tablet, batteries, a controller, and a booster was too much. I prefer the stock setup with less wires and work required to get flying.
3) Purpose - Other than having fun trying for world distance records, there's no real reason to need to go past 2 miles in my opinion, which can be done with a stock setup.
4) Cost - For $324 with self-install or $524 with paid install, it was a huge chunk of change.

I'm not yet sure if I'll be testing the itelites because most of the stuff I've heard has been disappointing. I think my next step is those DIY tin foil cut out antenna boosters.

Cheers to anyone still reading this thread. Feel free to keep questions and discussion coming.

BULLETED INFO BELOW

A few of you know that I have been waiting for my FPVLR antennas to come in, and they arrived today. This thread will be my log for the next few days while I test them out.

So far today I spent 3 hours installing, then about 2 hours waiting for the booster to charge, and was able to do 1 flight.

I flew in a straight path that I normally did when trying distance. Usually I can get 10,7500ft with the stock setup. With the FPVLR antennas I got to 12,500ft and then lost signal completely. I was pretty dissapointed. However, I am not sure which way the antennas should be pointing, and will be asking Tony (the seller) for his advice.

However, on the journey to 2 miles, with the stock setup I would periodically get low signal warnings, and sometimes it would drop signal completely. With the FPVLR antennas, I never got a low signal warning the entire time until it suddenly was all lost at the end.

As far as penetration, these things are fantastic! There is a lake about half a mile from my house, and when flying at 400' altitude my signal is flawless. However, when I try to drop down below 200 ft, I would always lose signal on the stock setup. Today I flew over the lake and dropped down to 20 ft above the water and had perfect signal.

Day 1 Testing:

-Installation time : 3 hours
-Booster charging time: 2 hours
-First range test, distance improved only 16% (dissapointed)
-Went from 2 miles stock to 2.3 miles
-First penetration test, penetration improved 100% (doubled)

Day 2:

Went 3 miles each way, returned with 38% battery left. At 70% battery I had just hit 3 miles, and the pilot app warned me it was trying to return home on it's own, so I got scared and flew home by myself and landed with a lot more battery than I expected.

Had full controller bars the entire way, but get low video transmission signal after 8000ft, even though I didn't experience any lag or loss of video. I'm guessing it's due to the fact that all my firmware and pilot app is outdated.

Day 2 Testing:
-3 miles out, 3 miles back
-38% battery after landing
-full controller signal entire way
-low video transmission signal after 8000ft, but still had perfect visual with no lag. assuming its with my outdated Pilot app or firmware.
-very pleased with results

Day 3:

Took the P3 out and my goal was 3.5 miles to see how low the battery would get. Signal was flawless until 2 miles, and then it fluttered in and out for the rest of the journey. My log files on the DJI Pilot app were corrupted because the app shut down and I lost signal completely a few times. I ended up returning with 17% battery left. I estimate I spent a valuable minute ascending just vertically to 400', and predict I can save that minute by ascending while flying horizontally right off the bat. I also plan to look into learning ATTI in order to go a bit faster and save battery life.

Day 3 Testing:
-3.5 miles out, 3.5 miles back
-17% battery left
-signal kept fluttering in and out after 2 miles
-I'm still learning how to position the antennas best
-going to practice ATTI so I can fly longer

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

here are some pictures from the install

feel free to ask questions, and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

I will also periodically update this with more tests.

Overall, I am very very pleased with the antennas. Even though I probably will never need to go past 2 miles, I know that if the need should arise, I have the technology to do it. Also, I NEVER lose signal anymore before 2 miles out, which makes me much more comfortable flying, and makes the experience a lot better.

Last edited:
Hello all,

BULLETED INFO BELOW

A few of you know that I have been waiting for my FPVLR antennas to come in, and they arrived today. This thread will be my log for the next few days while I test them out.

So far today I spent 3 hours installing, then about 2 hours waiting for the booster to charge, and was able to do 1 flight.

I flew in a straight path that I normally did when trying distance. Usually I can get 10,7500ft with the stock setup. With the FPVLR antennas I got to 12,500ft and then lost signal completely. I was pretty dissapointed. However, I am not sure which way the antennas should be pointing, and will be asking Tony (the seller) for his advice.

However, on the journey to 2 miles, with the stock setup I would periodically get low signal warnings, and sometimes it would drop signal completely. With the FPVLR antennas, I never got a low signal warning the entire time until it suddenly was all lost at the end.

As far as penetration, these things are fantastic! There is a lake about half a mile from my house, and when flying at 400' altitude my signal is flawless. However, when I try to drop down below 200 ft, I would always lose signal on the stock setup. Today I flew over the lake and dropped down to 20 ft above the water and had perfect signal.

Day 1 Testing:

- Installation time : 3 hours

That is one fugly appendage! Hope it works well for you.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
That is one fugly appendage! Hope it works well for you.

Haha, I like the look of it.

I think it makes my rig look more impressive.

Reactions: AmosMoses
Is the extra weight noticeable? I think the TX-Tablet is a bit unbalanced then to add the booster...

Surprisingly not!

That was one of my worries at first too. I didn't do any actual weight comparisons, but just by holding it in my hand I can't really notice a difference.

However, I do use a lanyard, I'm not sure if it would feel heavier if the person weren't to have a lanyard

Was the install easy was it easy to install cables in radio.The ribbon connection how easy is that to unhook.Im looking to mod mine but a little worried
Any advice much apprciated

Why anyone would ever go with anything other than the dbs mod kit for a hundred bucks and 4+ miles of range is beyond me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: dreadwing
Why anyone would ever go with anything other than the dbs mod kit for a hundred bucks and 4+ miles of range is beyond me.

Has this been tested and confirmed on a P3?

Has this been tested and confirmed on a P3?
I just did the pre-order after watching the multiple test videos online. They seem pretty legit, small shop, but simple mod for an already good RC to make it better. Not sure about penetration gains but they are insane in the test units.. 4.2 miles it had 100% signal all around and limited only by battery..

Reactions: phantom13flyer
I just did the pre-order after watching the multiple test videos online. They seem pretty legit, small shop, but simple mod for an already good RC to make it better. Not sure about penetration gains but they are insane in the test units.. 4.2 miles it had 100% signal all around and limited only by battery..

I've never even heard of what you're saying, that's why I went with FPVLR antennas. They were the only ones I've heard of for the P3, plus Tony's customer service is top notch.

Was the install easy was it easy to install cables in radio.The ribbon connection how easy is that to unhook.Im looking to mod mine but a little worried
Any advice much apprciated

Yeah it was fairly easy to do. Especially if you have another person to help hold certain things.

The ribbon cable is a bit scary, because if you mess it up you have to buy a brand new controller, but as long as you're careful it's no issue.

Here's the video I followed:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nick,

Thanks for the update !

I am eagerly following your posts. I would also have expected much greater range, but I'm sure FPVLR will help you get this sorted.

Please keep us updated.

Good luck.

:harry

Hello all,

BULLETED INFO BELOW

Day 1 Testing:

- Installation time : 3 hours

Those boosters are not meant to handle the iinput slash power output of the controller so you !at actually be loosing potential range. Solution is to use a pair of attenuators 4 to 6 dbi should do it. So if my guess is right then you will liekly see similar range without having the boosters blugfed in at all unless you add those attenuators. What happens is there is a si gal overload in the amp which degrades the transmission

So where are these from? Sorry in the UK so never heard of them

Easy to install and the benefits?

I'll be watching this thread. My stock unit will do 15,500 feet with no signal loss. So, I'm having a hard time being convinced. I'm only limited by battery on return.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Just ordered the itelite panel antenna, will post up when it comes in.

Same here.. The install, although easier than most, still looks a little tricky.. Tempted to just send my remote to them. Looks like an amazing product for a very good price. Anyone seen any updated pictures with the new changes ITelite made?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic