My Experience with Firmware V01.04.0602

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have read with interest the experiences of other Phantom 4 Pro owners and firmware V01.04.602 and thought I would give it a go myself. I use my aircraft with DJI GO 4 and Litchi. Here are my observations:

Upgrade:
  • Aircraft Firmware. Aircraft firmware was updated using DJI Assistant 2 V1.01-2 operating on a 2016 MBP15 using OS X 10.12.5. Firmware upgrade proceeded with no issues.
  • R/C Firmware. Controller was connected to iPad Pro 9.7 operating under iOS 10.3.2. DJI Go 4 app was launched. There was a message that indicated R/C firmware needed to be updated. R/C firmware was updated using the iPad. No issues with the update.
  • Batteries. All batteries needed to updated. This was done using DJI Assistant 2.
  • IMU/Gimbal/Compass Calibration. After firmware updates my process is to calibrate the IMU, gimbal and compass. All calibrations proceeded normally.
First Flight With DJI Go 4 application.
  • Turned aircraft/controller/iPad on. Aircraft went through it's boot-up.
  • Confirmed all settings. Several have commented on Smart RTH no longer available to be turned off in the battery section. Before I performed any firmware updates I checked to see if the Smart RTH toggle was available. It was not. My impression is that app version 4.1.0 removed the Smart RTH toggle and not the firmware.
  • First flight appeared normal. Sticks seemed more aggressive. I noticed no improvement with horizon tilt. However, I never had much of an issue with horizon tilt.
First Flight with Litchi version 1.16.2
  • Turn on Aircraft.
  • Turn on controller, iPad and launch DJI Go.
  • Allow aircraft to boot-up and find GPS satellites.
  • Kill DJI Go app. This is done by double clicking the home key and 'swiping" up on the Go App to make it disappear.
  • Lunch Litchi app.
  • Launch aircraft.
  • I was able to fly with the Litchi application FPV with no distance limitations.
  • Flew several missions with Litchi Waypoint and Focus modes. These proceeded normally. Did not encounter any issues when flying waypoint missions terminating early because of Smart RTH activation. However, as a Realtor I never fly missions that far away from my launch point.
Initial impressions of V01.04.602 is that it functions as was intended. I will report back to this forum as I gain more experience with this recent release of firmware.

Hope this information is of help to anyone that wants to try the new firmware.

Don Barar

Hi All,

I have read with interest the experiences of other Phantom 4 Pro owners and firmware V01.04.602 and thought I would give it a go myself. I use my aircraft with DJI GO 4 and Litchi. Here are my observations:

Upgrade:
  • Aircraft Firmware. Aircraft firmware was updated using DJI Assistant 2 V1.01-2 operating on a 2016 MBP15 using OS X 10.12.5. Firmware upgrade proceeded with no issues.
  • R/C Firmware. Controller was connected to iPad Pro 9.7 operating under iOS 10.3.2. DJI Go 4 app was launched. There was a message that indicated R/C firmware needed to be updated. R/C firmware was updated using the iPad. No issues with the update.
  • Batteries. All batteries needed to updated. This was done using DJI Assistant 2.
  • IMU/Gimbal/Compass Calibration. After firmware updates my process is to calibrate the IMU, gimbal and compass. All calibrations proceeded normally.
First Flight With DJI Go 4 application.
  • Turned aircraft/controller/iPad on. Aircraft went through it's boot-up.
  • Confirmed all settings. Several have commented on Smart RTH no longer available to be turned off in the battery section. Before I performed any firmware updates I checked to see if the Smart RTH toggle was available. It was not. My impression is that app version 4.1.0 removed the Smart RTH toggle and not the firmware.
  • First flight appeared normal. Sticks seemed more aggressive. I noticed no improvement with horizon tilt. However, I never had much of an issue with horizon tilt.
First Flight with Litchi version 1.16.2
  • Turn on Aircraft.
  • Turn on controller, iPad and launch DJI Go.
  • Allow aircraft to boot-up and find GPS satellites.
  • Kill DJI Go app. This is done by double clicking the home key and 'swiping" up on the Go App to make it disappear.
  • Lunch Litchi app.
  • Launch aircraft.
  • I was able to fly with the Litchi application FPV with no distance limitations.
  • Flew several missions with Litchi Waypoint and Focus modes. These proceeded normally. Did not encounter any issues when flying waypoint missions terminating early because of Smart RTH activation. However, as a Realtor I never fly missions that far away from my launch point.
Initial impressions of V01.04.602 is that it functions as was intended. I will report back to this forum as I gain more experience with this recent release of firmware.

Hope this information is of help to anyone that wants to try the new firmware.

Don Barar
Are you using a P4P+ with stand-alone controller? That is what I have and the previous release worked perfectly !!! this last one broke lots of items and called out by many others already on the Forum. If I could secure the previous firmware file from someone I would do the down-grade until the issues are all cleared.

Thanks Don for sharing your experience in details. I updated the FW for my P4P and RC using dji Go 4. I just had it take off and land in my backyard and it worked fine.
The warning message during update as what the distance limits are if not "connected or logged in" to dji app was very confusing. My take on this message is:
If you are flying in manual mode (no tablet/app) using the sticks, then those flying limits come to play. If it reaches those limits, it will hover in place.
By this, new FW limits how far you can fly when in manual mode.
Can anyone confirm please ? Thanks.

I forgot. By saying that you need to be connected or logged in, they mean that the drone is flying using an app, like dji or Litchi and not in manual mode.

Reactions: erickwill
Thanks for the information. I use Autopilot and am waiting on the upgrade because of the following message on Autopilot's support site:

We recently discovered an issue that may cause Autopilot to become unresponsive when first connecting to the Phantom 4 Pro v01.04.0602 and the Mavic Pro v01.03.0800. The root cause of this issue has not been identified, but it appears to be related to the recent firmware updates.

You may downgrade your firmware (Phantom 4 Pro v01.03.0509 & Mavic Pro v01.03.0700) to continue using Autopilot at this time. Please note that you will need to open DJI Go 4 first to establish connection. Once you have confirmed video feed, terminate DJI Go 4 and then open Autopilot.

We will continue to post updates as they become available.

Reactions: snamvar57

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj