My dilemma... Open to suggestions...

Reaction score
Welp it's been a while since I've been on these forums. I have had a rocky road with DJI and just came up to a cliff.

So I have (had) a Phantom 2 Vision + V.3. It had to go back to B&H twice for the commonly known issue of the solid copper wires disconnecting from the ESC's. The first time it went back, it came back with the four motors running, but the phone bracket was missing, they peeled all the stickers off, and the shell was all scuffed up. It lasted three flights before a different ESC's wire broke.

My drone has been gone almost two months and now I get this an email from B&H that says DJI will not fix it because that model is discontinued. Hhmmm.. Wonder why?

So, here is my question. Should I got looking for another, and lets say my eye is on the Phantom 3 Pro with the 4K camera. Number what, what is the overall opinion on this bird. Secondly, since I've already bought three spare batteries for my PV2 I've got all the extras. I've also got the large hard shell shipping case for the PV2.

Can the P3 Pro use the PV2 batteries or is that a no-go?

Also, can I use the FlyTrex I have installed on the PV2 in the P3 Pro?

I'm really stuck here... I miss flying REALLY bad, but want to tread lightly into this new purchase. I've already gotten enough grieve from the wife over this last purchase and it's downfalls!

Looking forward to all the great replies.... I hope!

Fly Safe,
Couchie

The P3P was an amazing upgrade over my old P2V+ V.2. All of the common problems people experience with the P2V+ have been fixed. The P3A would be a good choice too if you want to save a few bucks. I do like shooting in 4K, but you computer needs to be a beast if you want to edit the footage. The wife may never speak to you again if you have to upgrade your computer too ;)

Can the P3 Pro use the PV2 batteries or is that a no-go?
Nope.

Also, can I use the FlyTrex I have installed on the PV2 in the P3 Pro?
I believe you just need to order the correct cables. After you see the data the P3 records, I don't think you'll need your Flytrex anymore.

Thanks for the quick answer!

Bummer on the batteries! So basically I have four paperweights in my case. Guess I can slap them up on E-Bay and try to get enough to but a second and/or third P3 Pro battery.

One more question that sort of runs with this. Does the old PV2 chargers work with the P3 Pro batteries? (I hope so... I have two!)

As far as the computer, I'm good. Have a brand new Macbook Pro that is a beast!

The P3 series is a 10x improvement over the P2
Unless you really, really need 4K video, you may as well get the advanced and put the $$ toward batteries.
The pro and Adv are identical except for $k and they both do 2.7K and 1080p which is plenty good enough for 95% of users.
Batteries/chargers are not compatible. Different voltage altogether.

The props are not compatible either... if that was your next question :)

Dir
Thanks for the quick answer!

Bummer on the batteries! So basically I have four paperweights in my case. Guess I can slap them up on E-Bay and try to get enough to but a second and/or third P3 Pro battery.

One more question that sort of runs with this. Does the old PV2 chargers work with the P3 Pro batteries? (I hope so... I have two!)

As far as the computer, I'm good. Have a brand new Macbook Pro that is a beast!
sell the baterrys on eBay, and the drone itself, the p3 is amazing! You gonna love it

@msinger, Thanks I didn't even think of that! I have two extra sets of four I kept, just in case! Argh! Good thinking. Thanks!

As far as the 4K, I really don't see a need in it for me and more you guys say and the more I read, I'm leaning away from the 4K model.

THanks again for the input!

Looking at the options for the Phantom 3 Advanced with 2.7K Camera, there is an option for Light Bridge and one for just WiFi. Does it come with everything you need for Light Bridge? I remember when I was shopping a little over a year ago for my last drone that Light Bridge had to be bought separately and required quite a bit more equipment.

On a separate note, I just had to fire off an email to B&H because I forgot my FlyTrex was still on the drone that got sent back! Hoping we can track that down and get it returned!

The P3A & P3P use Lightbridge (all installed). The P3S uses Wi-Fi.

Wow! That's awesome then! I'm leaning toward the P3A - A little cheaper, good enough camera for me, and if it comes with the Light Bridge, I'm in! That was something I wanted to do with my P2+ V3 but obviously that isn't going to happen!

Headed over to B&H now... Thanks to you guy's help, I'm going with the P3A, two extra batteries, and two extra sets of props...

Thanks again!

Enjoy! And, don't tell the wife about all of the extras. It would be best to keep them on the down-low ;)

Extra's? What extra's? Oh! That stuff came with it! ;)

I haven't made it through 25 years of marriage without a little bit of fudging purchases! LOL

Hah! I'm only on 6 myself. I think I need to take some pointers from you.

Hah! I'm only on 6 myself. I think I need to take some pointers from you.
Wow 6 marriages? We'll have to start calling you the Hugh Heffner of PP :D jk

Reactions: msinger
I forgot my FlyTrex was still on the drone that got sent back! Hoping we can track that down and get it returned!

You'll want to sell your Flytrex also. It's not compatible with the P3. They came out with a new model. This was discussed on this forum by Flytrex to the dismay of all of us upgrading from P2,P1's.

You'll want to sell your Flytrex also. It's not compatible with the P3. They came out with a new model. This was discussed on this forum by Flytrex to the dismay of all of us upgrading from P2,P1's.

Well CRAP! Argh! I was afraid this day would come.

Wholly crap! $200 MORE dollars! Geeze! I may just skip the friggin flytrex then!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl