My $2.00 sunshade

S

sandman259

Works way better then the Dji one...it's long enough you can even put your face up to it for a ghetto fpv...lol
07e6323ac7f6c71cc6de4246abe6baa6.jpg
0fce3ca79f286abc632c85ff3e22038b.jpg
d4d8a7804ea527d021afc136d96cd6d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Reed L
I think there is more than 2$ of ducktupe :)

Can we get some detail, what is the box use ?

Unfortunately, you will still get your bright sun-lit face reflected back at you in the screen. (As you can see the bright background still reflected in that third photo.) To correct that, you will find if you remake it so that the angle between the shade "roof" and screen is less than 90 degrees the only thing that will be reflected in the screen back at you will be the black underside of the "roof" -- in essence, no reflection seen at all. Depending on the length of the roof, you will have to adjust the angle until you only have the black underside reflected in the screen.
hood_angle.png

But nice tape job.

Hmmm I will have to experiment with that[emoji106]. Duck tape was free from work btw...lol...the box was just a sheet of cardboard I drew on then folded. It's cut out in the back so the clamp still holds the iPad the correct way. I was wondering why in still get some reflection...[emoji848]. I am going to work on that on my next one....

Spent ten bucks on materials and a couple of hours getting an exact fit.
Perfect fit around my head, no light leaks around the edges, folds up for easy transport, moments to setup and almost weightless.
Bottom is open but causes no reflective distraction and allows easy access to the touch screen.
Not pretty but works very well.
sunhood-1.jpeg

Hmmm I will have to experiment with that[emoji106]. Duck tape was free from work btw...lol...the box was just a sheet of cardboard I drew on then folded. It's cut out in the back so the clamp still holds the iPad the correct way. I was wondering why in still get some reflection...[emoji848]. I am going to work on that on my next one....

It's a great idea honestly. I may have to try this.

Man, that's a nice solution! I think I might just copy your idea...

//Tom

I had made one originally that reached up to my forehead with the U-shape but found it a bit bulky. btw.. I had added a length of sticky-back door insulator foam along the U cutout for comfort. But I ultimately found the open angled-roof design to be lighter and more convenient. I also never found anti-glare screen filters to help much with reflections in bright sunlight, and I tried a few.

If one likes the enclosed box designs, a trap door can be cut in the bottom near the screen so it can be pulled open when needing to access the screen. Been there, done that.

Just my 2-cents.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, you will still get your bright sun-lit face reflected back at you in the screen. (As you can see the bright background still reflected in that third photo.) To correct that, you will find if you remake it so that the angle between the shade "roof" and screen is less than 90 degrees the only thing that will be reflected in the screen back at you will be the black underside of the "roof" -- in essence, no reflection seen at all. Depending on the length of the roof, you will have to adjust the angle until you only have the black underside reflected in the screen.
View attachment 54300

But nice tape job.
There is no need to change the hood angles, one can achieve the same effect by tilting tablet to an angle. That's what we do at site to avoid our direct reflections.

I'm not sure how you do that. If I tilt a tablet downward with a 90 degree shade, the shade's roof blocks my view of the screen. And tilting it upward reflects the bright sky.

It is a bit heavy[emoji33] I'm still not totally happy with this setup. I did adjust the angle to reduce glare which helped. I would rather not have to use anything. I wish there was some sort of anti glare screen film that would actually work without reducing the brightness.

Spent ten bucks on materials and a couple of hours getting an exact fit.
Perfect fit around my head, no light leaks around the edges, folds up for easy transport, moments to setup and almost weightless.
Bottom is open but causes no reflective distraction and allows easy access to the touch screen.
Not pretty but works very well.
View attachment 54388
ha ha, one of the million uses, Corflute :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj