Must you balance a H3-3D?

Reaction score
Hello - I have a question about balancing my Zenmuse h3-3d / Hero 3+. I've had it about 2 months, taken it for 24 or so flights, no real problems, but there is something that's been bugging me about the gimbal.

By default, when the Phantom is off, the camera top hangs forward and to the left: if I center it, it flips to that position. I have seen youtube videos that show balancing out the gimbal by attaching a nickel to the back of the gimbal. Is this necessary. or am I messing with something that's best left alone?

If it's level when flying I wouldn't worry about it not being level when it's turned off.

You can get a Gimbal Lock if you don't want it flopping around while it's being transported...

DJI-Phantom-2-Gimbal-Lock-Small-500x500.jpg

Balancing helps to reduce the amount of work the motor needs to do to keep the gimbal in alignment. If yours is a bit off, probably not a big deal. But most folks balance for longer life and less wear and tear.

The h33d was built for the gopro 3 and not the 3plus. Even though they weigh the same, the centre of gravity is different. This is why most h33d with 3+be tilt to one side. Just find neautral balance to destress the roll axis motor.

So using some VHB and a nickel won't make things worse in the other direction, then?

My Hero 4 Black required 2 pennies, but I keep the battery in it and have a SRP ND4 filter as well. You'll need to experiment a little to find the balance. I use plain cellophane tape to test the balance first, then double-sided tape to mount the coin(s).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl