Must-Have Accessories

Reaction score
Like many on here, I was fortunate to grab a P3S at the Walmart black Friday, and now I am onto getting the must-have add-ons.

I already got the propeller guards, and wondering what other users (experienced and new) consider a must.

Still debating on the tablet and how to attach it to the controller. I have an iPad AIr with WIFI/Cellular ... but that is too bulky to mount on the controller. Some places swear by the Nvidia Shield K1 ... and am wondering if other viable options are out there.

Like many on here, I was fortunate to grab a P3S at the Walmart black Friday, and now I am onto getting the must-have add-ons.

I already got the propeller guards, and wondering what other users (experienced and new) consider a must.

Still debating on the tablet and how to attach it to the controller. I have an iPad AIr with WIFI/Cellular ... but that is too bulky to mount on the controller. Some places swear by the Nvidia Shield K1 ... and am wondering if other viable options are out there.

Welcome to the Forum!

DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

Rod

Polar Pro (or knock off) extended landing legs - gives additional ground clearance, provides some shock absorbency when landing (as it is flexes slightly) and provides a wider footprint for more stable landings.

Replacement combined lens cover and gimbal lock - the originals are a pain to remove and put on in the field (just make sure you don't get the ones for the P3A/P as they won't fit.

And - more batteries! (at least one more)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Most of these items will not be needed/beneficial for the Phantom.

Still debating on the tablet and how to attach it to the controller. I have an iPad AIr with WIFI/Cellular ... but that is too bulky to mount on the controller.
The P3S cannot hold a tablet on the remote controller as-is out of the box. The clip on the remote controller is designed to hold a mobile phone.

You can modify the remote controller to hold a tablet. Check out this post and this post for some mounting options.

Some ryte dye from Walmart for your props :) c'mon gotta stand out from the others lol k maybe that's not a must have but a should have haha one thing I got early on is a small light set a binoculars and fashioned them to my lanyard for holding the rc. Early on in my getting comfy days and venturing further and further out I found being able to see drone when nervous was a plus in my book. Even now when on long wp missions and connection is lost so no video feed I find myself using them just to check on quad and make sure ita behaving correctly lol

New to this as well I just noticed chucks out of my props and I have yet to hit something that I know of, is this normal and would the guards help? All the YouTube I've watched no one has guards on their p3

New to this as well I just noticed chucks out of my props and I have yet to hit something that I know of, is this normal
No. You should definitely replace the damaged props.

Reactions: Markie Mantle
If you have chunks missing from props I'd replace them before flying again IMO. As far as guards go I've never used them, phantoms are for taking awesome arial pics and vids giving you basically a stable flying tripod. I never ply close to anything trees etc so I never saw a need for them not to say they don't have a purpose in some situations I just don't see it in the way I use my phantom. If I want to zip around hugging trees and barns or whatever I fly around a little syma for hotdogging lol I fly the phantom to go up well above potential hazards and take nice pics etc but I'm sure others like maneuvering close or between things for great shots so there I can see guards being handy. I've also heard but can't confirm guards move the phantom around more in wind but that I can't confirm

Reactions: Cookie$Dough
If you have chunks missing from props I'd replace them before flying again IMO. As far as guards go I've never used them, phantoms are for taking awesome arial pics and vids giving you basically a stable flying tripod. I never ply close to anything trees etc so I never saw a need for them not to say they don't have a purpose in some situations I just don't see it in the way I use my phantom. If I want to zip around hugging trees and barns or whatever I fly around a little syma for hotdogging lol I fly the phantom to go up well above potential hazards and take nice pics etc but I'm sure others like maneuvering close or between things for great shots so there I can see guards being handy. I've also heard but can't confirm guards move the phantom around more in wind but that I can't confirm
Thanks for the help! I didn't think about the wind issue. Why do I have knicks in the props after a couple flights? I have been super careful in my flights.

No idea, how big are the nicks? Maybe you hit something in flight. I don't know where you live but here in new mexico we can get a good deal of dirt and debris stirred up and floating around in the air. I can see hitting something with any amount of size getting hit by a plastic prop spinning that fast as putting some nicks in the blades. Have you ever tipped it over on landing or take-off?

Always do a good pre flight checklist and thoroughly check the props, if they have any damage along the surface the hub or the threads toss them and buy a new set. They are very cheap like $6 for a set at Walmart so definitely not using if they aren't in perfect shape. Also I'm not sure on this but it makes logical sense, if the blade has imperfections the phantom may fly without any noticable difference but the blade will vibrate oddly and that could lead to stress fractures on the drone in the future. It's best to always replace any blade that isn't perfect imo

Great info, thank you! So far all flights have been clean that I know of. Day one I took of from a kinda gravely area and maybe that's what tossed some stuff in the air.

Most of these items will not be needed/beneficial for the Phantom.
I don't agree at all.

Let's see here...

Jason starts off "Hey guys how's it hangin'?"

I got one.

Let's see what else...

The box itself
Hex drivers
Small flat and philips drivers
Electrical tape
3M double sided tape VHB
variety of glues
Goop (great stuff, better than you would think)
Small snips (spring loaded)
Wire strippers for tiny wires
small needle nose pliers (spring loaded)
thread locker
12 volt inverter
Sharpie
liquid tape
variety of zip ties
velcro - a few lengths
Scissors

and not kept in my box but on hand...

soldering iron
hot air rework station
rosin & flux
lipo safe bags
duct tape
heat shrink tubes
hot glue gun
dremel w/ various attachments

I cannot imagine flying without a field box. What's nice is if I want to go fly a half mile away or 500 miles away, I can just grab the box and I know I'm all set.

I don't agree at all.
Keep in mind that you're posting in a P3 forum and you've never owned a P3. If you ever buy one, you'll realize most of those items are going to be of no use out in the field.

The are very small
If I had to speculate then if you never crashed or had a tip over I would guess hitting small debris in the air during flight. I'm not sure how big of a nick is considered too big hopefully a vet here will see this and chime in lol but if was me I would just replace especially since they are so cheap.

If you can post a pic of the nicks that would be helpful

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic