Multiple issues with P4P ///HELP/// PLZ

Reaction score
I have a few questions about P4P

I'll paste best answers here at original post. I'll update with final answers that proved correct. If you don't see proven answers here then I gave up to save my sanity.

1) What computer system requirements do I need.... to do calibration through Assistant 2?

1B) laptop or desktop required?
ANSWER-THANKS MTO
I have a dell inspiron laptop with 15” screen and it does the calibration fine. The one time it wouldn’t calibrate the vps was because I had an outdated version of assistant 2.
2)Wanted to use P4P flight simulator before first flight. It's not on dji go 4

3)If and when I get to point of flying...can I? Registered drone yesterday and last requirement was safety test but test not being given yet. I do have AC # to put on drone.

Possible Answer to question 1, 1B & 2 from another thread (untested but will update)

***NOTE- Still looking for exact minimum system requirements from Dji to run Assistant 2. Also thought 14" was minimum screen size to do VPS calibration. System in answer is a 10" screen....so don't really know....
Possible answer here below,

A2 version should work on Win10 computers.
It also includes the simulator.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Works on my tablet with Windows 10 installed:
Lenovo miix 2: 10" screen 1920x1200, 2GB RAM, 64GB HDD (2014)
While installing A2 you get a popup:
Windows Defender Firewall -> give permission to access private networks

Last edited:
Some thoughts to consider.
Calibrations are not required and unnecessary unless you have a known problem. Research.
DJI products tend to fly on their own with a little help from an operator, which can be called a pilot.
A flight simulator can be exchanged for a large open field and a few drone batteries. Really nothing to be afraid of if you just pay attention to what you’re doing.

Hope you get it all in order and have some fun. Trust your equipment.

I agree, just go fly. Keep it above 50 ft so you have not only room horizontally but vertically as well. Learn to run figure-8's in both directions. Then once you are comfortable move to 100ft and then 200ft. If you are planning on starting to shoot good photos, videos and/or mapping 200-250ft is probably going to be your most common range. The simulator is fun for practicing FPV and running through obstacles if that is the kind of thing you want to do.

I second the fact that you don't need to calibrate unless the flight software tells you or you can do the gimbal if your horizon gets off. The only other exception might be the IMU if you have a drastic change in temperature.

Reactions: Droneted
Some thoughts to consider.
Calibrations are not required and unnecessary unless you have a known problem. Research.
DJI products tend to fly on their own with a little help from an operator, which can be called a pilot.
A flight simulator can be exchanged for a large open field and a few drone batteries. Really nothing to be afraid of if you just pay attention to what you’re doing.

Hope you get it all in order and have some fun. Trust your equipment.
I agree, just go fly. Keep it above 50 ft so you have not only room horizontally but vertically as well. Learn to run figure-8's in both directions. Then once you are comfortable move to 100ft and then 200ft. If you are planning on starting to shoot good photos, videos and/or mapping 200-250ft is probably going to be your most common range. The simulator is fun for practicing FPV and running through obstacles if that is the kind of thing you want to do.

I second the fact that you don't need to calibrate unless the flight software tells you or you can do the gimbal if your horizon gets off. The only other exception might be the IMU if you have a drastic change in temperature.
Thanks for the confidence boost. It is telling me to fix issue. When I connect rc and ac via phone all looks good except abnormal message regarding the eyes calibration via Pc or mac. If it was a warning light on a car I'd drive until I could fix. With the phantom I worry about falling out of the sky or hard landing ruining it.
Reason I wanted flight simulator is to learn toggles. Not concerned about playing with obstacle courses.
I'm the type that fixes known issues with just about everything. Also, I'd rather it be fixed before selling if I sell. I'm not going to lie to buyer so I'd rather it be in perfect running condition.
I might just take it to a grassy field and check things out. Maybe launch off a fold up table.
Im

Thanks for the confidence boost. It is telling me to fix issue. When I connect rc and ac via phone all looks good except abnormal message regarding the eyes calibration via Pc or mac. If it was a warning light on a car I'd drive until I could fix. With the phantom I worry about falling out of the sky or hard landing ruining it.
Reason I wanted flight simulator is to learn toggles. Not concerned about playing with obstacle courses.
I'm the type that fixes known issues with just about everything. Also, I'd rather it be fixed before selling if I sell. I'm not going to lie to buyer so I'd rather it be in perfect running condition.
I might just take it to a grassy field and check things out. Maybe launch off a fold up table.
Im
Don't launch off of anything metal!

Reactions: Bill32174 and Oso
Some here may be repeated, but here goes. The P4 is a very easy to fly system. My suggestions:
1.) Get to an open area -- as large and flat and obstacle-less as you can find -- the less windy, the better.
2.) Make sure all batteries are fully charged.
3. Make sure your controller screen is well shaded so you can see it clearly.
4.) Start everything up -- let it sit there and idle (props rotating) for a few minutes to acquire GPS mode.
5.) Take off quickly to around 10 ft of altitude (to avoid ground effects). Make sure it hovers there stably.
6.) Check flight data on the screen to see if all matches reality -- orientation, home point, altitude, remaining battery power, flight mode, etc.
7.) Start flying with easy moves -- up/down, left/right, forward backward -- then patterns -- circles, figure 8's, point-to-point exercises, etc.
8.) Learn to hand catch -- it'll save you some grief later.
9.) Once you feel confident hand flying the aircraft, then and only then start trying different flight modes, automated patterns, etc.
10.) If you plan to take photos, use tripod mode, and study how to change camera settings.
Good luck!

Reactions: doug_las and Ncguy
Thanks for the tutorial. I'll follow your advice.
What's hard for me to understand is;
Why can't I find info on computer requirements for assistant 2 app to run? What processor what ram what minimums so I don't buy a new non returnable laptop just to find out I'm a hair short on one perameter?
Hasn't anyone ever asked that question and found an answer?
My questions are numbered and pretty simple at top of page. Seems like they all would be common knowledge at this point of P4P existence.
1)A2 system requirements
1B) anyone calibrate VPS on laptop ever
3) fly before finishing safety test

I must ad I'm like a dog with a bone when I want to accomplish something. It's something in my personality. The other day hughes net went out at my place and it's a must have. 3 different experts walked me through a reboot and recalibrate method. None could help and said I must make appt for in person technical help. Appt would be 4 days later. That would not work for me so I got back on the hughes.net page and figured out the reboot and system calibration myself. 1 hour later I had internet. So, same with this stuff. One way or the other I'll figure all this out. If not it will be for sale soon and I guess I'll admit defeat.
My questions are numbered and pretty simple at top of page. Seems like they all would be common knowledge at this point of P4P existence.
1)A2 system requirements

I first used Drone Sim Pro. It only has two scenarios but it's good to practice. I now use the DJI free Sim but you need a good video card.
My DJI assistant 2 doesn't like multiple monitors. Try different USB ports and cables. Mine hover much more solid when calibrated.

Reactions: Kraycfox and Ncguy
Thanks for the tutorial. I'll follow your advice.
What's hard for me to understand is;
Why can't I find info on computer requirements for assistant 2 app to run? What processor what ram what minimums so I don't buy a new non returnable laptop just to find out I'm a hair short on one perameter?
Hasn't anyone ever asked that question and found an answer?
1)A2 system requirements
I can't give you specifics, but I set up my P4A on a 12 year old MacBook Pro running 10.11.6, and use a iPad mini running 13.4.1 with the controller. The MacBook has 8GB of RAM...the iPad has 128.

Reactions: Ncguy
That's for the specs help. I dowoaded the assistant 2 for P4P to my phone trying to see file size and what not. Then I wondered why can't I use the phone for the app. I believe main reason is I need windows for file. After researching windows can be installed on a phone. After that I'm sure screen size comes into play. Now I'm researching " casting phone screen to my vizio tv. It's 70" and should be great for calibrating Vps. What slowed me down on trying above method is complicated procedure to install windows 10 on phone. I'll keep at it though as using phone for A2 calibrations and go 4 would be great.

That's for the specs help. I dowoaded the assistant 2 for P4P to my phone trying to see file size and what not. Then I wondered why can't I use the phone for the app. I believe main reason is I need windows for file. After researching windows can be installed on a phone. After that I'm sure screen size comes into play. Now I'm researching " casting phone screen to my vizio tv. It's 70" and should be great for calibrating Vps. What slowed me down on trying above method is complicated procedure to install windows 10 on phone. I'll keep at it though as using phone for A2 calibrations and go 4 would be great.
Glad it helped. You can probably use the phone for Go 4, but the screen is pretty busy with lots of flight, position, control, camera, and feature settings available, in addition to the FPV capability. If you can see 20-20 or better it might be ok, but you're going to want a bigger screen. There are lots of Android pads available for lots less that Apple costs, so it doesn't have to be too expensive.

calibrating Vps.
I have flown a p4p that claimed it needed a vps calibration that I ignored for months because I was lazy and really wasn’t relying on the sensors anyway. The sensors have a purpose, but not needed if there are no obstacles to avoid. They are disabled as soon as you hit the sport mode switch.

I have flown a p4p that claimed it needed a vps calibration that I ignored for months because I was lazy and really wasn’t relying on the sensors anyway. The sensors have a purpose, but not needed if there are no obstacles to avoid. They are disabled as soon as you hit the sport mode switch.
I figured VPS had something to do with return to home and landing. Just don't want it to think it's 40' off the ground and do a slam landing. I also like to fix things when they're broke especially a flying thing. I'll figure out the A2 computer requirements eventually and post at top.

Just wanted to add one thing. Position yourself facing the same direction as the drone. This will help prevent you from flying into something.

I also like to fix things when they're broke especially a flying thing.
You can check the sensor readings by placing an object in front of the drone and see how far away it is per the app. Tape measure the distance and see how far off it may be. They aren’t 100% accurate to begin with. It may not be broke.

You can check the sensor readings by placing an object in front of the drone and see how far away it is per the app. Tape measure the distance and see how far off it may be. They aren’t 100% accurate to begin with. It may not be broke.
Good idea. I'm sure it could be done on front and rear. I'm mostly concerned with sensors to ground. I did see it flown when I purchased it. Everything was what was expected. Hovered in 1 spot no drifting. He did update firmware while I was there because I asked him about red warning on his screen. He finally updated via his phone. I believe I've read that a vps calibration usually follows a firmware update.

update.

Reading will provide many different views on what should or should not be done to an aircraft. As far as firmware updates and calibrations, there are two somewhat opposing views. Each to their own.
Updates are very SELDOM mandatory and I have learned to wait for some other brave sole to prove that any particular update is safe and not loaded with items that I find annoying that didn’t really improve something that needed fixing.
Calibrations can be needed at times and generally will be brought up to you via the app. I have read in the past about pilots(?) that for some reason(something they read!) felt it was completely necessary to calibrate the compass EVERY time they wanted to fly. Silly and a total waste of time and hardware abuse.
Yes, you could spend days reading all the variations in all that’s available in this forum.
Whatever makes you comfortable and safe is what you should do.

Reading will provide many different views on what should or should not be done to an aircraft. As far as firmware updates and calibrations, there are two somewhat opposing views. Each to their own.
Updates are very SELDOM mandatory and I have learned to wait for some other brave sole to prove that any particular update is safe and not loaded with items that I find annoying that didn’t really improve something that needed fixing.
Calibrations can be needed at times and generally will be brought up to you via the app. I have read in the past about pilots(?) that for some reason(something they read!) felt it was completely necessary to calibrate the compass EVERY time they wanted to fly. Silly and a total waste of time and hardware abuse.
Yes, you could spend days reading all the variations in all that’s available in this forum.
Whatever makes you comfortable and safe is what you should do.
That's probably the best explanation I've read as to why I shouldn't worry about calibration. I'm pretty sure the firmware update caused the message for VPS calibration. I may just fly it and see how it goes. If it goes well then I'll just leave it alone. If I get tired of all these hurdles and sell...I'll explain message about VPS to new owner the way you have presented it here. Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic