Multiple Batteries - Use 1 or All?

Reaction score
I've been debating the different strategies of maximizing battery life and cost effectiveness...

If you have multiple batteries, do you use one repeatedly, or cycle them all through the count evenly?

I have them all labeled, when and where I got them, so I know which one is which. I have been of the opinion that using one most often and repeatedly (when I'm not using them all of course) means that only one battery will reach the end of its life cycle st a time, making it easier to replace.

The rest will stay in a state of 50% discharge until ready for use.

Does this make sense, or would it be more wise to use (and thus exercise) all the of the batteries evenly? With the obvious downside being that they will all reach the end of their life cycle and have to be replaced at roughly the same time?

I have 4 and also have then #. I just go through them
and use all. Then start back at #1.
Course I'm liable to go through 2 or 3 when out but
that's what I do .

I have 4 and also have then #. I just go through them
and use all. Then start back at #1.
Course I'm liable to go through 2 or 3 when out but
that's what I do .

Thanks... I meant to mention that even if you don't know why you do what you do, I'm still curious!

Ditto....I run 3 batteries in a cycle. I remember a poster some time ago didn't fly for 6 months or a year, and then none of his batteries were any good.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
All very interesting, because it was instinct to cycle through them all at first but then I thought "then they'll all die at once"... four batteries here in Canada is $800.

I have (9) batteries and I number them and go through them in sequence. I also inspect and report on them each month to see if there is a trend with one over another in terms of "life".

LiPo can "sit" for a while but IMHO I'd rather go through them all more often then not.

Part of he reason I'm asking is I had two, but got a great deal on two more and it's unlikely I'll regularly use 4 at one time... so two or more will probably sit out each fly day.

I'm already seeing a trend...

All very interesting, because it was instinct to cycle through them all at first but then I thought "then they'll all die at once"... four batteries here in Canada is $800.
At 200 a pop I understand why you ask .

So right Dirk! These things better last a long time! B1 for my P3S is already down to 75-85%, but I exclusively flew with that for 4 months before I got 2 and 3. My P4P has 3, 2 I got yesterday and only 2 cycles on my 1st battery. Those ain't cheap and will definitely be cycled.

Best Buy just went to $210 (Staples is still $200 even). With 13% tax, that's $237.30.

Including lunch, that's pushing a thousand dollars for four.

I don't know what to expect out of overall life with my flying habits yet but I'd prefer not to have to spend another grand in a year.

Last edited:
Best Buy just went to $210 (Staples is still $200 even). With 13% tax, that $237.30.

Including lunch, that's pushing a thousand dollars for four.

Geez! Lot more expensive in Canada! Yikes. My P3 batteries were $120 and my P4 HC were $170.

Geez! Lot more expensive in Canada! Yikes. My P3 batteries were $120 and my P4 HC were $170.

That's why, when I find a good deal, I jump! Whether I really needed four or not, get 'em while I can...

Reg price on a P3S is $679 (got mine on sale for $499 which is good, I think)... but 13% tax does no one any favours either.

Reactions: Nickster
i have 3 i cycle in sequence, i figure, i bought em to use em ...i go through and review each one through HD for cell info etc...

Geez... I never thought about this. I just make sure I have a fresh battery for each flight. I figure it will all average out... I do keep track using the maintenance tab on healthy drones.

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have 4 batteries and cycle them, one battery got a bad cell and dji replaced it free. The last time I check a battery life around xmas one had 38 cycles and 96% life. I try to land around 20% and store at 50% and top up on fly day. At that rate they probably have a couple of years left, by the time they die I will want a newer bird.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31