Moving to a P3A from a P3S any tips etc ?

Reaction score
I'm returning my P3S due to a soft patch on the camera and since it's the second unit I've had issues with they've offered me a refund.

I was just going to buy another standard as I think it's a great machine, but then I spotted a mint condition Advanced on a local Drone Classifieds group on FB for a great price so I couldn't resist!

It should be here this week :D

So are there any tips or anything I should know about moving to the advance?

Reactions: dazzer
You've made a good decision. Lightbridge is the bomb, 2+mile range with Windsurfer. Lightbridge is the KEY IP that DJI has over all the other drone manufacturers, nobody comes close, so far. The P3A is a good drone. Get a Windsurfer for that RC and you'll be on your way to awesome FPV range. You might need some Depends to support that new-found range. Also, consider buying a camera guard for the bottom, to protect the camera. And lastly, consider buying the KILLER brand gimbal guard, which protects the gimbal from disengaging on high impact. The gimbal is the weak link in the P3 design, so that's where you want some insurance to protect in case of mishap. Next on the list is an ND16 filter for sunny days. Then if you want to use goggles, get the $99 HDMI optional module for the RC. Christmas is coming, now you have the list.

You've made a good decision. Lightbridge is the bomb, 2+mile range with Windsurfer. Lightbridge is the KEY IP that DJI has over all the other drone manufacturers, nobody comes close, so far. The P3A is a good drone. Get a Windsurfer for that RC and you'll be on your way to awesome FPV range. You might need some Depends to support that new-found range. Also, consider buying a camera guard for the bottom, to protect the camera. And lastly, consider buying the KILLER brand gimbal guard, which protects the gimbal from disengaging on high impact. The gimbal is the weak link in the P3 design, so that's where you want some insurance to protect in case of mishap. Next on the list is an ND16 filter for sunny days. Then if you want to use goggles, get the $99 HDMI optional module for the RC. Christmas is coming, now you have the list.
Thanks for the advice :)

I already have a windsurfer for my standard. Can I just by another of the same for the extra antenna or is there a specific one for the advanced?

The advanced has a pair of flat antennas, the windsurfer is a double unit with flat slots. A fold out one is only cheap.
I had a P3A for quite a while, did, many, many flights, and never needed to use the windsurfer - getting up to 4200m (in perfect conditions in UK) without one.

The biggest difference you notice, at first:
Remember when flying the P3S you were always checking the signal strength, anxious about losing signal, worrying about the "strong interference" warnings.....? That's all gone

OK ... one tip ... use the USB cable supplied with the P3 ... many other cables have problems ... often not working. Not all USB cables are same !

4593m - bone stock P3P ..... which is same system as the P3A (Lightbridge).

I have the Dual clip on Windsurfer for the twin antenna - but with that sort of range ? Not needed.
Second that the Windsurfer will make the signal more directional and more sensitive to antenna orientation.

Camera guards ? I like to land softly ... so not bothered ...

I moved up from P3S after it went for a swim ....

Nigel

I actually have a camera guard for my standard, but I never fitted it. I only ever hand catch, and have never actually 'landed' the drone.

I know some people don't like to hand catch but for me it seems logical.

I've seen too many prop incidents and only hand catch when necessary.

Nigel

Camera guard stuff..not sold on it anymore.I purchased it and can say it really is not functional. I've seen them fail first hand.

On P3A/P craft camera guards work great, no interference with the sensors if positioned correctly under the camera. However on P4 I don't recommend them because the sensors are stronger and the sonar apparently works with a wider field of hearing. P4's often have issues with camera guards.

My P3P camera was saved big-time by using a carbon fiber camera guard. This little accessory really stiffens up the landing gear. I had an altercation with a bird, sending me into tree branch, the craft crashed, and was practically totaled. However the camera was unscathed. $300 later it was flying like new (new shell, battery tray, gimbal mount, 4X motors, 4X props, gimbal cable) . Had the camera been damaged it would have cost another $500 or more. I highly recommend them, along with the Killer Gimbal guard.

Reactions: dayviduk
Camera guard stuff..not sold on it anymore.I purchased it and can say it really is not functional. I've seen them fail first hand.
Can you explain what you mean by seeing them fail first hand , i can see the advantages by having one but want to no the downside and weigh it up from their , as John seems to like them

Reactions: John Locke

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20