Moving from the P2V to the P2...

gunslinger

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I was an early adopter of the P2V and have gone through the entire ride of firmware updates, battery problems, etc... I think this is a very well made robust quad, but I need a gimbal. DJI has obviously totally abandoned all future development for this platform as there is no DJI manufactured gimbal on the horizon for the P2V. I've watched all third party gimbal manufacturers for this platform and would only consider the RotorPixel for purchase. But... that's turned into a saga...

I wouldn't even consider buying a P2V+ due to the fragility of the camera/gimbal and the fact that once you break either part, you need to purchase both as a pair, for a sizable chunk of change. Not interested...

So... I've waited for the Walkera Tali and I'm less than impressed by the initial build. Too many problems to wade through and it appears that Walkera is about on the same level as DJI when it comes to communicating with customers.

I've looked at the 3DRobotics Iris and it's still an option. I've looked at the forthcoming Thunder Tiger Ghost and since I'm not seeing an MSRP yet, figure the price tag is going to be way out there. And like everyone else I'm STILL waiting for the Hubsan H109 to appear.

I'm thinking my best route would be a P2 with the H33D gimbal, a Hero 3+ black and all the parts and pieces that would give me telemetry and FPV...

I'm assuming most of you are using the IOSD mini for telemetry... What's currently the hot FPV setup? I'm looking for a 7" screen...

I may actually keep my P2V as I'll never see any kind of meaningful return on investment and there's really nothing wrong with it. Who know... Maybe DJI will eventually come out with a gimbal for it, or RotorPixel may some day have realistic ship dates... :roll: :D

Does this seem about right?

IOSD Mini $67.30
Black Pearl Receiver 7" screen $229.00
DJI AVL58 Receiver $80.00
FPV Hub $11.00
Gopro Hero 3+ Black $399.00
P2 with H33d Gimbal $959.00
Monitor holder $45.00

$1,790.30

Reactions: dirkclod
You can also do better on 5.8 Tx instead of DJIs. Personally I like the 32 channel Boscams you can change channels quickly and easily when flying in different areas + works well w/BlackPearl

that's my setup (plus a flytrex core2, and assuming that you meant avl58 transmitter, instead of receiver :p )

just keep in mind you'll need the antennas (the dji avl58 transmitter does not include antenna) so im about to buy this bundle:
http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... duct_id=97

EMCSQUAR said:
You can also do better on 5.8 Tx instead of DJIs. Personally I like the 32 channel Boscams you can change channels quickly and easily when flying in different areas + works well w/BlackPearl

u can do better then 5.8 analogue system get dji lightbridge, blows them out of the water.

Haze said:
EMCSQUAR said:

u can do better then 5.8 analogue system get dji lightbridge, blows them out of the water.

Would love the lightbridge... but the divorce would be costly... :shock: :shock: :shock:

You spent $1400 on WHAT!!!???? :eek: :eek: :eek:

chapsrlz said:
that's my setup (plus a flytrex core2, and assuming that you meant avl58 transmitter, instead of receiver :p )

just keep in mind you'll need the antennas (the dji avl58 transmitter does not include antenna) so im about to buy this bundle:

Yeah... yeah... transmitter. That's what I meant... :roll: :lol:

chapsrlz said:

I have a spare FlyTrex 1 kicking about, so that'll get stuck on there somewhere... How's this setup working for you? Is there something you wish you'd have done differently, or is this getting it done?

Thanks...
-slinger

gunslinger said:
I was an early adopter of the P2V and have gone through the entire ride of firmware updates, battery problems, etc... I think this is a very well made robust quad, but I need a gimbal. DJI has obviously totally abandoned all future development for this platform as there is no DJI manufactured gimbal on the horizon for the P2V. I've watched all third party gimbal manufacturers for this platform and would only consider the RotorPixel for purchase. But... that's turned into a saga...

I wouldn't even consider buying a P2V+ due to the fragility of the camera/gimbal and the fact that once you break either part, you need to purchase both as a pair, for a sizable chunk of change. Not interested...

So... I've waited for the Walkera Tali and I'm less than impressed by the initial build. Too many problems to wade through and it appears that Walkera is about on the same level as DJI when it comes to communicating with customers.

I've looked at the 3DRobotics Iris and it's still an option. I've looked at the forthcoming Thunder Tiger Ghost and since I'm not seeing an MSRP yet, figure the price tag is going to be way out there. And like everyone else I'm STILL waiting for the Hubsan H109 to appear.

I'm thinking my best route would be a P2 with the H33D gimbal, a Hero 3+ black and all the parts and pieces that would give me telemetry and FPV...

I'm assuming most of you are using the IOSD mini for telemetry... What's currently the hot FPV setup? I'm looking for a 7" screen...

I may actually keep my P2V as I'll never see any kind of meaningful return on investment and there's really nothing wrong with it. Who know... Maybe DJI will eventually come out with a gimbal for it, or RotorPixel may some day have realistic ship dates... :roll: :D

Does this seem about right?

IOSD Mini $67.30
Black Pearl Receiver 7" screen $229.00
DJI AVL58 Receiver $80.00
FPV Hub $11.00
Gopro Hero 3+ Black $399.00
P2 with H33d Gimbal $959.00
Monitor holder $45.00

$1,790.30

Hi Slinger, know you from PV2 threads. I also came to the end of the road with PV2. With resolution downgrade I am just fed up of not seeing where I am out at 4 and 5 KM :) The feed has been so downscaled now that I'm navigating by football pitches rather than streets !

Just ordered:

P2
3dHD
Go Pro 3+ black
Lightbridge
Futaba t8j

I think lightbridge is the way forward.

BTW I bought a Tali - Beautiful looking but FPV is impossible with the screen on the Devo 12e

FPVLR said:
Haze said:
EMCSQUAR said:

that is relative, analog systems will have the long range records for very long.

You currently can go 20 miles quite easily on 5.8ghz using 1 or 2w transmitters and the correct antennas...
I am not sure with the lightbridge but I don't think you can beat that.

Also you can do 100miles (fpv record) with 1.2ghz analog 1w

No 20 or 100 miles with a Phantom unless you're talking about the ones made by McDonnell-Douglas. What about the distance a Phantom can fly on a battery + the distance it can receive the RC signal.

I'm going to just upgrade my P2 in stages so I don't have that sticker shot. I'm sure I can get some good shots with just the standard mount until I can afford the 3D gimble and FPV.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31