Movie format changed?

Reaction score
I had a strange occurrence a couple of days ago. My Phantom 4's videos stopped playing on either of my computers. I get the error :Windows Media Player Cannot Play This File". I searched around and located a $40 video converter that will allow them to be converted one at a time to I think, MP4 but they will not play like they used to. I could play them directly from the SD card or save them to the computer and simply double click and everything worked! Does anyone know what may have happened to cause this mixup? I know very little about video formats and such so I need help!

Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

In your app settings, change the recording format to MP4. You may have it set for .MOV. Windows media player will not play .MOV files. That uses Apple Quick Time.

the .
I had a strange occurrence a couple of days ago. My Phantom 4's videos stopped playing on either of my computers. I get the error :Windows Media Player Cannot Play This File". I searched around and located a $40 video converter that will allow them to be converted one at a time to I think, MP4 but they will not play like they used to. I could play them directly from the SD card or save them to the computer and simply double click and everything worked! Does anyone know what may have happened to cause this mixup? I know very little about video formats and such so I need help!

Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF
mov format is the default and it's one of the settings that reverts to the default value with firmware updates.
Your computer can play .mov files too without converting them. You just need a different player.

Reactions: NoCoDrones
Yeah but how was the computer player changed? That's what is confusing to me. Everything has worked the same since November and all of a sudden the videos are not comparable with either of my Windows computers. I have changed nothing on either computer nor the Phantom 4. I even went back and tried several videos from last year and got the same errors. I would tend to believe something about the computers had changed if it had only affected one computer. Strange???
Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

Yeah but how was the computer player changed? That's what is confusing to me. Everything has worked the same since November and all of a sudden the videos are not comparable with either of my Windows computers. I have changed nothing on either computer nor the Phantom 4. I even went back and tried several videos from last year and got the same errors. I would tend to believe something about the computers had changed if it had only affected one computer. Strange???
It's not strange at all. The whole issue is due to the limited file types that Windows Media Player will handle - not something to do with the actual video files.
Has your computer player changed? Probably not.
What version is your Windows Media Player?
Unless it's the latest (version 12) it does not accept .mov format videos. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/316992/file-types-supported-by-windows-media-player
Check what format your earlier videos are. Are they .mp4 or .mov?

You can set the video format back to .mp4 or you can play .mov files by updating your WMP to version 12 or getting another player like VLC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20