moverio glasses radar calibration and observations

Reaction score
So today I decided I am going to check the radar functionality with my moverio glasses.
If you have not used radar before - give it a try, it is an amazing aid flying your bird, especially far away from you.
Radar is supposed to provide you relative orientation of the bird and relative distance. These are relative to your location and your orientation.
The radar screen is overlaid on top of the video. But before you can use it successfully you want to make sure that the red arrow is pointing straight up when you are behind the phantom, and both you and the phantom are pointing in the same direction.

I tried this with my moverio glasses and found out that my glasses were showing the red arrow pointing left, so there was a -90 degrees discrepancy. After some search I was able to find a great app that provides manual compass calibration. (Smart compass). I downloaded the app into my glasses entered 90 degrees and after testing again the arrow was pointing up as it should have.
But I rejoiced too early. Apparently the compass sensor is located in the glasses and not in the device, and apparently when you are tilting your head up, towards the sky, the arrow will move significantly, as much as 180 degrees, invalidating the true direction of the bird. So now I am planning to field a message to Epson to see if the compass can be tilt-agnostic

Has anyone else experimented with radar on the moverio glasses? Can anyone contribute to making these a better tool to fly the phantom?
DJI had claimed that they were implementing a port of their app specifically for the glasses, but I have not heard any updates on this for 2 months already. If they are working on this, this is one issue they should address.

get the rotation lock app from the Moverio store and try it again. Also, I've found that my Moverio controller is very sensitive to tilting. Make sure that it is orienting correctly before your fly with them. In other words, when the Epson controller is in the holder on your transmitter, make sure that upwards movement on the trackpad shows upward movement on the display.

I don't understand why the two will be related.
In any case, I did download the app and installed it - alas with no results.
I did get a worse behavior - but I cannot attribute it to the app. When I tried again, I had the radar red arrow continuously spinning if I moved my head, and even if I stopped moving. It was like it was not able to stabilize.
Something is going on with the dji-vision app, because it is behaving worse than the compass app.
But even in the compass app, if I go out and align the horizontal line with a tall building, and move my head up and down while keeping the line on the building, there is a variance of 60 degrees - that should not be the case.
Try the app and see if you recreate this.

Yeah I would have to say there is something definitely wrong with the compass on the app. I noticed today when flying with my moverios the red arrow was located behind me, and then would move all over the place. I also noticed the fpv was real glitchy and I kept having freeze frames and scrambled frames at less than 100 feet out.Also forgot to mention I was using the fpv booster app. Has anybody else noticed that the wifi is not as strong or something when using the glasses? :|

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues