Moverio BT200 + Colorado Video DM485CS = DJI Phantom 3 FPV!

tcg

Reaction score
(**Disclaimer** - I don't work for DJI, Epson, Colorado Video or anyone else mentioned here)

I finally got all the pieces to get my Epson Moverio BT200 glasses working with my Phantom 3 Professional. The last part was the Colorado Video DM485CS Video interface. A quick review is included below.

Now I have a lag-free FPV view of my Phantom 3 Professional that is completely portable (albeit a little bulky). The glasses show live video and telemetry, still need either smartphone or tablet for controls. There is a setting in the DJI GO app to allow concurrent video streaming on both the HDMI output and also the tablet. I’m working on mounting the DM485CS unit to the bottom of my Phantom Controller and maybe just putting the HOOTOO battery in my pocket while flying.

Most of this will become unnecessary when the Epson BT300 glasses ship (Epson claims “fall 2016”). I’ve pre-ordered those, but I wanted something to use over the summer months (prime season for flying).

How much does all this cost?????
Assuming you already have a DJI Phantom 3 or 4
HDMI output module from DJI, current price is $99 on the DJI web site
Epson BT200 glasses are available from PreLaunch.com for $699.99
DM485CS Video module from Colorado Video for $499.00

You’ll also need battery power (5VDC at <400milliamps) – basically a USB battery for cellphone charging. I used a HOOTOO TripMate Titan, which is also a mini-router and overkill for this application for about $40 on Amazon
Finally, you need a mini-hdmi to mini-hdmi cable (shorter is better). I found a 24inch mini to mini ribbon cable on Amazon for about $10

Here’s quick review of the DM485CS.
It’s about the size of an iPhone 4 (probably a little bit thicker). Very lightweightCame in a nice box, well packed with simple instructions. It has 3 connections and 3 buttons. Connection #1 is mini-hdmi and that will connect to the mini-hdmi port on the DJI HDMI Output module. Connection #2 is micro USB, that connects to a USB power supply (I use the HOOTOO Tripmate Titan which is more than just a battery and probably overkill). Connection #3 is for the Moverio BT200 glasses. The glasses plug directly into the DM485CS and do not need the Android controller that shipped with the BT200. All three connectors are clearly labeled on the top of the unit.

Buttons are clearly labled and easy to figure out. Button #1 is HIDE, which either turns on or off the output to the glasses (the HIDE LED is lit when the unit isn’t sending signal to the glasses). Brightness- and Brightness+ do exactly what they should do. There is also an LED labeled “Video OK” – this is GREEN when the unit is powered up and working.

With everything attached there are many cables which need to be dressed up appropriately. A shorter HDMI cable would be great but shorter than 24 inches is difficult to find.

If you want more details please let me know!

TCGCISCO
Phantom 3 Pro
Moverio BT 200 Smart Glasses
DJI HDMI Output Module (Phantom 3 Pro/Adv/Phantom 4)
Moverio Video Interface DM485CS (from Colorado Video)
HOOTOO TripMate Titan (Battery Power for Moverio)
HDMI mini to HDMI mini cable

Reactions: BriRi
Very nice review!

I'd like to add, as an Evangelist to Epson I have been given a code for a 20% discount if anyone is interested. Details below:

Use HDMI Input Accessory and use discount code kenahdmi2016 for 20% off the bundle or HDMI box.

Excellent post... Can you post pictures of your set up?

Thanks in advance.

Ok - this is the rough cut guys - I'm still working on getting it all "pretty"

Here's the DM485CS:

View media item 1687
Here everything plugged up (NVIDIA Shield in the controller cradle, DM485CS on the bottom of the controller held by those ugly rubber bands)
View media item 1689
I'm going to try using Velcro stickies to attach the DM485CS to the bottom of the controller.
I also found a 9 inch HDMI-mini to mini cable, should be in next week!

Very nice review!

I'd like to add, as an Evangelist to Epson I have been given a code for a 20% discount if anyone is interested. Details below:

Use HDMI Input Accessory and use discount code kenahdmi2016 for 20% off the bundle or HDMI box.

Hi Ken,

Thanks a bunch for posting the discount code, it worked like a champ!

Now I guess I have to wait until it arrives before I can find out what help I might need to set it up.

Cheers

UPDATE: Got it and it works like a champ. Simple setup. Thx guys!

Last edited:
I'm sorry. But can you help me find a place where can find the DM485CS Video module .

DFDTC -
sorry to be so late responding - Colorado Video is the only source for that module. I don't think they make them anymore. You may wish to check out the EPSON BT-35e glasses now - they are direct HDMI. I'll be posting a review soon!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan