Mounting UAV Locator on Phantom 2 Vision+

Reaction score
I recently received my UAV Locator (http://www.drone-mods.com/Drone-Mods-UAV-Locator-DM005.htm) and intend to mount it to my DJI Phantom 2 Vision+. It comes with velcro so this seems simple enough, however while small it has some weight to it. Do you have any tips on where or how to mount this? The most logical place seems to be on the bottom of battery base. Just checking to see if I'm missing something or if there is a better way.

Wherever you end up mounting it, remember to recalibrate the compass so it can account for any electromagnetic changes in the new configuration.

Meta4 said:
Wherever you end up mounting it, remember to recalibrate the compass so it can account for any electromagnetic changes in the new configuration.

Thanks for the tip. I'm planning to recalibrate before each flight since that seems to be the safest thing to do anyway. Good tip though.

lindjiguy said:
I'm planning to recalibrate before each flight
It's really not necessary. Just calibrate the compass when you change location by 30 miles or more and when your Phantom equipment configuration changes.

SteveMann said:
lindjiguy said:
I'm planning to recalibrate before each flight
It's really not necessary. Just calibrate the compass when you change location by 30 miles or more and when your Phantom equipment configuration changes.

Oh okay. So that is the magic formula then. Thanks for sharing.

I have heard that mounting it on a leg rather than the underside of the battery Bay results in a tilt of balance and you lose some flight time because the Phantom is always trying to compensate

I too just received today my UAV locator from Drone Mods, must be the same one, anyway I too am wondering where to place it and if the velcro itself will hold Any help or ideas from you or others would be helpful

I have the Drones Mods locator also and the Phantom 1. I used the supplied velcro . I placed mine below the body just behind the gopro camera mount...as close to CG as I could get. I put two velcro patches on the locator. I also used a string tied around it from it to one leg of the Phantom just in case it came off in a crash. Other than the added weight, the quad flies fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.