Mounting twin 2800`s - Good or Bad?

Reaction score
I recently ordered a few 2800`s Zippys, I noticed they`re heavy and I haven`t yet got the cable delivered to mount two of those in the phantom "external" cargo trays. I just want to know if anyone has done a test with twin 2800`s and what the results were. I got a gimbal, FPV, GPH3 with standard motors and props. Getting right now about 6-7 mins flight time before it turns ugly red.

I've got two 3000mAh Zippys that I fly with on the common under-arm dual batt trays. When carrying nothing but those and GoPro 3 (in waterproof case) I can get ~12 min with conservative flying and no wind to fight.

If your using stock 8 inch props adding a second battery especially one that weighs around 230g is going to make it fly like $#it and only give you a couple more minutes fly time. You really want to be using 9 inch props and I am finding 9 inch triblades do quite well along with my upgraded tiger motors to a point. I havent bothered with dual batteries finding each 100g is worth about 1 minute in fly time, but using storm 2700's or Zippy 2800's I get just over 8 minutes with everything including the kitchen sink on my phantom. Max weight I have flown is just over 1400g which included another 450mah battery just for the gimbal. Flying at 1350g without that battery gets pretty much the same flight time but I think it flys a little better without that little extra weight.

Here is a test flight with the full setup in light winds 15-30kmh.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48V1JgcdL90[/youtube]

Here is my flight time before the gimbal and OSD which have added about 200g without the extra battery and so cost me about 2 minutes with similar flying.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShtVGPx09KA[/youtube]

Adding a second battery will likely only add 3-4 minutes flying and I really wouldn't want to be flying a phantom that heavy which would put my setup around 1580g if I used 2 zippy batteries and I think even 9 inch triblades are going to struggle to lift that much weight and give decent flying performance.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4