Mounting iPad on my controller

Reaction score
I just got my Phantom 3 advanced and love it. One problem is mounting my iPad on the controller. My iPad is 7.25 inches high while the holder extends to just below 7 inches. In order to make things work, I'm using a small bungee cord (see the photo). But I wonder if anyone else has a better solution.
IMG_2310.JPG

I just got my Phantom 3 advanced and love it. One problem is mounting my iPad on the controller. My iPad is 7.25 inches high while the holder extends to just below 7 inches. In order to make things work, I'm using a small bungee cord (see the photo). But I wonder if anyone else has a better solution.
View attachment 78258
I've seen a few people use an extender like this one, though there are a few styles out there:
Amazon.com: Hobby-Ace 3D Printed Tablet Extension Mount for DJI Phantom 4 Phantom 3 Advanced Pro and Inspire1: Toys & Games

Also, with a large tablet like that you might want to consider a metal support arm for the holder. The plastic arm can be wobbly with a large tablet.

Reactions: JoBe
Ah ! ! THANK YOU! Oso. I just ordered that extension. It's EXACTLY what I need.
Great.

As I noted earlier, that plastic device holder arm is very wobbly with a large tablet. I don't want to spend your money for you, but I would strongly suggest you consider getting a holder with a metal arm such as the Inspire holder or just replace the plastic arm you have now with a metal arm like this one:

Amazon.com: Jrelecs® Metal Iron Mobile Device Holder for Phantom 3 & inspire 1 (Silver): Camera & Photo

Great.

As I noted earlier, that plastic device holder arm is very wobbly with a large tablet. I don't want to spend your money for you, but I would strongly suggest you consider getting a holder with a metal arm such as the Inspire holder or just replace the plastic arm you have now with a metal arm like this one:

Amazon.com: Jrelecs® Metal Iron Mobile Device Holder for Phantom 3 & inspire 1 (Silver): Camera & Photo

I have an iPad Air 2. I bought the Inspire holder. It fits, and does work to make the mechanical connection stronger. However, be aware that "stronger" doesn't mean "strong". Tightened down as tight as possible using pliers [obviously don't over-tighten] it is a worthwhile improvement but it's still less than what I would consider a solid connection. IMO, the larger iPad models like the Air 2 and larger are just too big for the flimsy holders.

I thought all the iPads fit.
Do you have the tablet oriented the right way?
Looks like the cable from the iPad is to the side (not up) which would suggest the orientation is correct.

Reactions: SteveAikens
Since the holder allows a bit over 170mm, every 9.7 inch iPad from the Air 1 and onward should fit without a case. Also of course the iPad Mini 2/3/4. Some people just have more of a comfort level either using their tablet with the case on or with simply having more 'clicks' available to lock their tablet in place so they prefer the extender. The iPad 4 is the oldest 9.7 inch iPad with a lightning connector, but it is 186mm and won't fit without an extender. It is also much heavier than the later 9.7 inch models, so it may not be very comfortable for some to use for long periods of time.

My personal experience is with an iPad Mini 2 and with an Air 2. I used the Mini 2 for only a short time due to overheating, so I've exclusively used an Air 2 for about 20 months now. The Air 2 fits without a case, though my holder allows for only a single click to lock it in place. Since the Air 2 weighs only 4 ounces more than my old Mini 2, it still feels very solid and not too heavy when mounted on the RC with a metal arm. I never even think about it falling out. Again, that's just my personal experience. As I said, some just feel more comfortable with a case on or with more clicks to lock it in place.

Sorry for being long winded!

Cheers!

Do you have the tablet oriented the right way?
Absolutely. The manual even gives the max size of the standard holder to be under 7 inches, while the landscape orientation of my iPad is just over 7 inches high. See the note above - there's a company that makes an extension, and I ordered one. Thanks for responding, all advice is appreciated.

I have an iPad Air 2. I bought the Inspire holder. It fits, and does work to make the mechanical connection stronger. However, be aware that "stronger" doesn't mean "strong". Tightened down as tight as possible using pliers [obviously don't over-tighten] it is a worthwhile improvement but it's still less than what I would consider a solid connection. IMO, the larger iPad models like the Air 2 and larger are just too big for the flimsy holders.
While I agree that the holder seems a bit flimsy for the size & weight of my iPad, I tried using my iPhone 6 just to see the FPV quality. It feels to me to be risky using that - too easy to miss something in the smaller display. The iPad makes everything SO clear. As I responded above, I ordered this small holder extension (made by a 3D printer - how about that?) plus a stronger metal arm.

The last .5 inch or so needs to be manually pulled up by hand so after the button move the holder to the widest part, you manually have to pull it to the widest all standard IPads will fit

Thanks for that idea, rge. Unfortunately, even that was not enough. It's still about 1/2 inch too short, and I can see the "stops" on the fully extended top holder preventing it from moving up any further. It's gone as far as it will go. If you saw another post on this, there is an extension that can be purchased and I ordered that. It will do the trick.
Best regards,
Bob

I have a Samsung Tab E 9.7 and found it just manages to clamp down around the edges but now that I have a hood, it could slip off the mount. I have to try some black foam board, which will double in filling the 1" gap in height with the hood.

Reactions: StanfordWebbie

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic