mounting/installing mini iosd

Reaction score
Is there any reason to not mount the mini iosd like this? It seems like it's something I can do w/o screwing up :D
Just curious if there's any reason, interference with gps or something, that I should just zip tie it to the landing gear or velcro it under the body.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL8pqtEDuos[/youtube]

No problem doing that at all. I went a step further and removed the CAN bus connectors and just soldered the cables together. Works fine. Lighter. Cleaner.

p2-futaba-osd.jpg

I watched the same video and installed my iosd mini and can bus inside the P2. Watching my FPV, i get a tad bit of electrical interference which I was told is normal on a 5.8 ghz video setup. The interference is very minor. A friend of mine with a similar setup tried moving the iosd mini outside the P2 away from the Naza and the FPV picture got much clearer.. I am waiting for my extended landing gear to arrive then am going to reinstall the iosd mini underneath the phantom and see if my FPV video looks better on the monitor.

I have no issues with interference from anything inside the Phantom shell. The only interference I get is typical range and LOS limitations. Just be sure to route the analog video wires away from potential sources of noise.

So if I keep the iosd mini mounted inside as well as the canbus module, Where would i run the video out wires to the TX so they don't run near any electrical wires or equip? The video shows the wires gouig out the same exit hole as the P2 Antenna as well as the Zenmuse cable. Very cramped wire bundle.

Are the firmware updates for the OSD so infrequent your not concerned? I'd hate to have to keep opening it to update the firmware.

C-Mac13 said:
Are the firmware updates for the OSD so infrequent your not concerned? I'd hate to have to keep opening it to update the firmware.

If there's a firmware update that's worthwhile, I'll pop the hood and apply it. That said, I am not expecting there to be more than 1 update in the next 12 months. Maybe 2 but I doubt it. I am basing that on nothing in particular.

ianwood said:
I am basing that on nothing in particular.

haha. i do that all the time.

i hadn't thought about the mini update possibility. pretty much the only thing holding me back from soldering direct. decisions decisions.

I am hoping to see a near future update to allow setting an imperial readout. My "flying" brain quickly recognizes mph, knots and feet.

ianwood said:
C-Mac13 said:

If there's a firmware update that's worthwhile, I'll pop the hood and apply it. That said, I am not expecting there to be more than 1 update in the next 12 months. Maybe 2 but I doubt it. I am basing that on nothing in particular.

Thanks. Mines cleanly mounted outside but I would like to get in inside. Just been waiting to see how frequent the updates were.

Doesn't seem like a big deal to open it up for the updates. I've made my decision to go inside and get rid of the canbus connections.
Originally, I was thinking that I'd have to un/re-solder to do the updates but that's done through the usb port. /brainfart

I should be able to get to this tonight, finally.
Thanks again for the input.

I think I'm going to move mine inside too. It annoys me stuck on the outside.

I put mine inside with can bus connector and everything. Plenty of room. Looks a lot cleaner without the stuff hanging outside. The only thing outside with a single cable is the AVL58.

I'm going to leave the CAN bus port on the leg and take a secondary tap from the wires. It should work just fine.
The DJI CAN hub is all just cross connected so if it works for that, it should work fine here.

I originally had the iosd mini mounted on the flat spot of the board to the left of the Naza. My only concern was that the battery power leads are soldered to that board right next to where the iosd mini would fit perfectly. Since the battery is an electronic chipped battery maybe there would be some electrical interference in that spot.

rilot said:
I'm going to leave the CAN bus port on the leg and take a secondary tap from the wires. It should work just fine.
The DJI CAN hub is all just cross connected so if it works for that, it should work fine here.

Never thought of that but you're right. The DJI CAN hub is just a bunch of wires and a resistor. You could add a dozen CAN bus end points and still not need the CAN hub as long as you tap between the resistors. Bus noise may become an issue at some point though.

Xrover said:
I originally had the iosd mini mounted on the flat spot of the board to the left of the Naza. My only concern was that the battery power leads are soldered to that board right next to where the iosd mini would fit perfectly. Since the battery is an electronic chipped battery maybe there would be some electrical interference in that spot.
I have mine right there and it is no issue. If you go back to the first page, you'll notice I routed the wires away from the primary power wires. That's pretty much all there is to it. Just make sure your wiring is the right length and keeping away from potential sources of interference.

[quote="ianwood"Just make sure your wiring is the right length and keeping away from potential sources of interference.[/quote]

When you say "the right length" do you mean so that you have enough to route it around "potential sources of interference"? Or is there some kind of min/max length threshold for this stuff?
Also, what exactly are the sources of interference I want to steer clear of?

Thanks again for the help.

Sorry, very noob questions.

No worries. I am not exactly a guru on interference but staying clear of the primary wires coming from the battery might not be a bad idea as they are shuttling a lot of energy. Also, avoiding antenna wires or anything RF related is probably a good idea too. There is no magic length for the wire. My recommendation is remove excess wire so there's less of it to get in the way or pick up interference. Conversely, cutting too much wire is a pain in the butt, so the magic length is up to you.

Rilot,
Whilst you have the "lid" off, to relocate the iOSD mini, pls would you take a photo of your your internal layout and post for us, as I understand you have have also squeezed in a video source selector/servo as well as new receiver?
Thanks
H

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik