Mounting a GoPro

Reaction score
So I just bought the Phantom 2 mainly for aerial film. Had it for 2 days now and I'm ready to start filming. I'm on a tight budget so I can't get a gimbal. But I don't seem to need one too much. I was thinking about just using a standard GoPro adhesive mount on the bottom of the Phantom, so it'll be filming similar to the Phantom 1, but with the Phantom 2 performance.
Good idea or bad idea?

IMO, it depends what you're trying to do. If all you're trying to do is capture video for the sake of capturing video to have proof of your flights, fine. Fly without a gimbal. Persoanlly, I find flying without a gimbal worthless. So much so that I wouldn't bother flying or even buying a quadcopter with a GoPro/camera. The footage is just too shaky and unstable. Gives me a headache.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwIGXOj9Soc

But an adhesive mount will work just fine. For safety, I'd use a tether.

dptcalvin said:
IMO, it depends what you're trying to do. If all you're trying to do is capture video for the sake of capturing video to have proof of your flights, fine. Fly without a gimbal. Persoanlly, I find flying without a gimbal worthless. So much so that I wouldn't bother flying or even buying a quadcopter with a GoPro/camera. The footage is just too shaky and unstable. Gives me a headache.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwIGXOj9Soc

But an adhesive mount will work just fine. For safety, I'd use a tether.
True but if i can fly smoothly enough, nothing should be too shaky right?

If smooth flying is all it took, I'd have saved myself some money and skipped the H3-3D.

I guess it's up to your personal tolerances, though. If you think it'll be good enough for you, then it'll be good enough for you.

I'm sure you can get some smooth video if you took it nice and slow, but IMO, there's really no comparison.

I'd say try it. It doesn't cost you anything by an adhesive mount. If you're happy without a gimbal, then hey, you saved $380.

I must be honest, I played with my P2 without a gimbal for a while, If you want to get any quality footage just get a gimbal... Even a cheaper 2D gimbal like a Arris or Tarrot will be 1000% better than trying to film without. Even if you fly in a wind still day the slightest adjustment on the radio - as in SLIGHTEST - Will showup as a major jerk on the Gopro.... Trust me - the cheaper ones ones on ebay are worth the $60 odd you will pay for it.... Even for us here in South Africa at a a rate of 10 - 1 for the dollar that R600 is well worth the money..... Even if it lasts for a year and I have to toss it and get another one

Yes, a nice gimble can make your videos smoother..BUT...A smooth boring video is no fun. Many that use a gimble have no concept of what good content in a video should have. For those that say a video taken without a gimble is terrible and something they can't stand to watch...I guess all the millions of videos of gopros on cars, motorcycles, surfboards, sky divers, rockets, etc. are not worth watching...they have no gimbles most of the time. It's not the camera or the gimble that makes a good video or film...it helps. It's the photographer and the content.

I think gimbles are great but they can't make up for good movie making. What about all the great films that have been made before gimbles existed as they do today? My point being that some will shoot down people and suggest that without a gimble, their work will be crap.

Very different styles of filming. GoPros used for actions sports are exciting usually because of the action sports being captured.

Ok so what if i screwed a metal plate onto the phantom's bottom, then put the adhesive mount on the metal plate? that way i can remove the mount whenever i need to. I just need a gopro on the phantom for just non-professional youtube series, so will it look moderately decent without the gimbal?

TheFaultCraft said:
Ok so what if i screwed a metal plate onto the phantom's bottom, then put the adhesive mount on the metal plate? that way i can remove the mount whenever i need to. I just need a gopro on the phantom for just non-professional youtube series, so will it look moderately decent without the gimbal?

I don't think a metal plate is a good idea. Why not just get the plastic gopro carrier mount.

Monte I agree , but there is a major difference when you want to shoot professional video used for television or corporate work, compared to your mate on his quad trying to jump a Schoolbus. If you just want to have fun a shoot for your own youtube upload.. great... No Gimbal will do.. As a videographer who shoots video for a living... I want my shots to look good and clean... Its my choice... If its to much money for you to spend on a gimbal... Dont.... But lets be honest... Shooting a shot with your drone over a marina with the blue water below will look a hell of a lot nicer if it was attached to a gimbal and wasnt rocking left to right. It will also give you a much better look if you had a the ability to tilt the gimbal as you will have more control over the shot... And I suppoose ultimate that what the gimbal does... Just gives you a lot more control.. Your choice in the end though

ThrottleUpGertrude said:
Monte55 said:
Yes, a nice gimble can make your videos smoother..BUT...A smooth boring video is no fun.

The key to capturing interesting content is to make smooth video fun. Video does not have to be "not smooth" to be "fun."

Monte55 said:
I guess all the millions of videos of gopros on cars, motorcycles, surfboards, sky divers, rockets, etc. are not worth watching...they have no gimbles most of the time. It's not the camera or the gimble that makes a good video or film...it helps. It's the photographer and the content.

Many of the POV videos that you reference have an inherent advantage over un-gimbaled quad video. At least one of the axis is stable. Using an un-gimbaled Gopro on a quad makes it susceptible to every input so your comparison is not relevant. Also, a large proportion of those millions of videos on cars, motorcycles surfboards, etc. suck because there is so much random camera movement.

1+ on "at least one of the axis is stable".
On a helmet/head, the neck is acting like a gimbal/stabiliser and the footage is sometimes stable and usable.
On a car, provided they use vibration mounts (and don't crash), the horizon only moves up and down on de/accelerations and tilts on turns. Its the perfect effect you want to show the audience.

On the quad with no gimbal, non of axis are stable on the 3 dimensions. It makes the footage unbearable to watch. Look at the phantom vision (golf ball camera) Vs Vision Plus 3 axis. Its chalk and cheese!
Some here can even tell the difference in a H3-3D vs H3-2D just by looking at youtube vids. You become very **** and wanting the yaw stabilizer on your gimbal.

Like I said before, gimbles are great...for some things. It depends on what you're doing. On a quad and going for stable video...fine. On a quad and trying to display all the attitudes they can fly in..no. If you want to show the banking and possible flips some quads can do..how will a gimble help? When I said earlier about smooth videos being boring. I should have elaborated. Many videos I see is their equipment far exceeds their photographic skills. So they have a nice quad, camera, gimble..and it's smooth but boring as hell. The video should match the tempo of the action. My main point earlier was to disagree with the statement that unless you use a gimble, your videos will be crap. Simply not true. I don't expect to see a smooth video of an off road vehicle going over rough terrain as viewed from the vehicle. Actually it being too smooth there takes away from the experience. To me it would be like having a fast and agressive sound track married to a very smooth video flying through a flower garden.

mendezl said:
get something like this... http://www.amazon.com/Hobbypower-Anti-v ... opro+mount

My first few weeks with the phantom I used the gopro adhesive mount, no problems. I also tied a small tether from the from leg to the gopro door hinge as a safety backup. I also put two little extentions to move and adjust the gopro so that it was forward several inches and up a few inches right in front of the front of phantom. Worked perfectly.

http://imgur.com/lf0iN5X

http://imgur.com/Z0gRNfW

I put this one on mine yesterday. Looks like the exact same mount.

I had to use the bolt from the Go Pro but other than that no mods required. I did take the sharp edge off of the holes for the dampeners.

We shall see how it works.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KXM ... UTF8&psc=1

There's a reason that almost all professional aerial photography is done using a camera mounted on a gimbal. Is there a time where it would make a more interesting video if it was in FPV mode? Sure. Rarely. But if you did want FPV video, you have that option. No gimbal = no option.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4