Motors won't start - Need HELP!!

Reaction score
Several months ago, I damaged a CW motor on my DJI Phantom 3 Standard. This week I ordered (2) motors from Amazon and wired them up. Turns out the motors I ordered were for Phantom 3 Pro/Advanced. I figured I'd install them anyway. I cut/splice the wires on to the old wires put it back together and fired it up. The two legacy motors fire up with no issue, but the new motors don't respond.

I'm going to try and reinstall the firmware.

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

I cut/splice the wires on to the old wires put it back together and fired it up.
Seen many around here fail with splices. Don't do that. They need to be soldered in.

Welcome to the Forum!

Don't mess with the firmware!!!!!

Unless Fly Dawg or I tell you to!!!

Rod

Reactions: Capt KO
So with cut wires I'm short on wire length. Would it be worth trying to solder them together?
You can try solder splices. But that will require a heat gun to melt the solder and the insulation sleeve. That is your best bet I think. Straight soldering and tape is just not good enough.

So with cut wires I'm short on wire length. Would it be worth trying to solder them together?
If you do, dont forget that the wires are enameled and that needs to be cleaned off or the connection will fail.

Also, the motors are the same between the standard, advanced, and Pro. But there is a new style motor and an old style motor and they are not interchangeable the main boards are different between the two

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Oso nailed it. Each motor has 3 insulated wires. Inside the wires’ insulation are two ENAMELED conductors. Before they can be soldered the enamel must be scraped off to expose bare copper and then tinned. Unless done meticulously, these solder splices are prone to fail and are not recommended. New motors are cheap. The wires are cut to length, tinned, and ready to install.

Be sure you order the correct motor type.

Also, the motors are the same between the standard, advanced, and Pro. But there is a new style motor and an old style motor and they are not interchangeable the main boards are different between the two
The good thing in this case is that the OP has a P3S which was released after the new motors came out. P3S models never had the old style motors.

Reactions: JoBe
The good thing in this case is that the OP has a P3S which was released after the new motors came out.
Are you sure that is not the SE? That came out after the P3S if I recall correctly.

Are you sure that is not the SE? That came out after the P3S if I recall correctly.
If you mean does the OP have an SE, I’ll go with him having a Standard.

If you mean was the SE the first model to come out after the new motors, I’ll again say the Standard was never sold (new) with the old original style motors. All P3Ss came with the new style motors. I’m as sure as I can be until someone shows me otherwise. ;)

Reactions: JoBe and RodPad
If you mean does the OP have an SE, I’ll go with him having a Standard.

If you mean was the SE the first model to come out after the new motors, I’ll again say the Standard was never sold (new) with the old original style motors. All P3Ss came with the new style motors. I’m as sure as I can be until someone shows me otherwise. ;)
I guess at this point we’re just making sure he isn’t installing the old-style motor into the standard which uses the new style board

Reactions: Oso

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20