Motors flinging grease

Reaction score
I have 14 hours on my P4 motors. I have started to see grease trails on the top of my motors where it looks like it has been flung out. is this normal?

Thanks for any help

Do they look like what I have showing on my P4?

streaks.jpg

I've got 42 hrs on my motors.. I've had little streaks showing on the top of a couple of motors... Perhaps the bearings are leaking?

It started showing up 20+ hours ago. Everything runs fine. No strange noises etc....

Reactions: Wind electrician
i've seen the same thing on one of my motors, no isuues with the bird, run and drives like new and i got over 55flights, 12 1/2 hours and 500,000 ft

It looks more like metal oxide as a result of the prop clips vibrating against the out runner.

If you remove the clips you'll likely see the wear that is occurring.

Reactions: RémyHeli
Jwt873, yes that is exactly what my motors are looking like. it flies well, a little louder than when I first started flying it but it till handles well.

Last edited:
It looks more like metal oxide as a result of the prop clips vibrating against the out runner.

I apologize for sounding totally ignorant but outer runner ? I will look that up and into it . I do long runs and fly it up to 2 miles away from me doing photos on my job site. I don't need to have parts failing on me. thanks for a place to look.

Looks like what N017RW mentions, I have 2,500,000+ feet and nothing like that has showed up yet.

I apologize for sounding totally ignorant but outer runner ? I will look that up and into it . I do long runs and fly it up to 2 miles away from me doing photos on my job site. I don't need to have parts failing on me. thanks for a place to look.

Hey We,

The term outrunner or inrunner is a way to describe which part of the brushless motor is rotating.

Most motors we see have a shaft in the center which turns and that is how you couple it to a load.
That would be analogous to an Inrunner.

Notice your Phantom's motors appear to rotate the case which the prop attaches to while the center remains stationary.
That is an Outrunner.

I have seen where two dissimilar metals rub together creating this oxide like residue.
It could be some type of lube but it wasn't my first guess. You'll have to let us know!

Do they look like what I have showing on my P4?

View attachment 68326

I've got 42 hrs on my motors.. I've had little streaks showing on the top of a couple of motors... Perhaps the bearings are leaking?

It started showing up 20+ hours ago. Everything runs fine. No strange noises etc....
jwt, I see where your clips contact the outrunner, that there is more what looks like dust (oxide) on the area that has the most load transfer, usually a bearing loosing grease will be flung (the grease) 360 and I think almost all the grease would have come out of the vent holes. Question: Do you leave your props on all the time? Because I don't have that and I take my props off to store the AC in it's case, therefore the higher load area is present only when flying. Just wondering if leaving them on could cause this condition.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31