Motor wire rerouting for Phantom V2+ V3

Reaction score
Hi,

For those who are concerned about the smaller gauge motor lead wiring in the V3 Phantoms.

I looked at mine and noticed that the motor lead wires were resting right on top of the MOSFETS on the ESC's.
With warmer weather coming I could easily see that could be a BIG problem, hot MOSFETS touching even silicon insulation is not a good thing.

Below are a couple pictures of how I re-dressed the motor lead wires to get them from touching the MOSFETS. Easy fix and just might save a crashed and burned Phantom.
The most important thing is to raise the wires above the MOSFETS. I separated the wires as best I could but I doubt that them touching is as big a problem as the wires actually touching the MOSFETS.

Hope this saves someone from having their Phantom fall out of the sky with a trail of smoke.

Attachments

• DSC03298.JPG
    DSC03298.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 597
  • DSC03299.JPG
    DSC03299.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 580
That does not appears to be the correct ESC. Was there a mark on top of the capacitor?

Hi Marlin009,

Next time I open it up I will check, but I think the only capacitors on the ESC are surface mount small ones.

It's just out of view in your picture. Here is a pic of mine, the mark (according to DJI) should be yellow. The label should also have V2.0 or V2.1 on it.

Attachments

• ESC.jpg
    ESC.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 583
johnp44 said:
Hi Marlin009,

Next time I open it up I will check, but I think the only capacitors on the ESC are surface mount small ones.

no there is a big one near the centre next to the cables coming into the pcb.

I put a dob of silicon glue on all 3 wires to bind them together so that they cannot vibrate.

acid free silicon glue and a bit right in the middle (only one the 3 wires not to anywhere else).

its gives a little but will add a bit of support.

be very careful bending wires off the pcb as this could fracture them.

johnp44 said:
Hi Marlin009,

No it is the electrolytic one. Blue/black, red or yellow marking have been mentioned.

I had ones like yours with no version number on and with blue/black markings on. I did not have a problem using them with the new motors in 30 odd flights.

I found it was possible to reroute up along the side of the ESC where the solder pads were, totally avoiding going over the MOSFETs at all. The wires are run at different heights (a bit like yours) but all in line vertically.

here

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 21.38.31.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 21.38.31.png
    447 KB · Views: 565
Hi all,

Thx for the replies. Curiosity got the best of me so I opened it up again. You are correct, there is an electrolytic capacitor on each board. The marking on the top of it is a red and a black stripe.
I don't see any label indicating which version it is, but the legend printed on the pcb leads me to believe it is a version 2.0 because it does say V2 at the end of the numbers. I purchased my phantom v2+ v3 direct from DJI in early December. It was probably an A model so I seriously doubt that it has 2.1 ESC's. It does have the heavier duty motors. You can tell right away because the windings are noticeably a heavier gauge than the wire used in the windings in my PV2 motors.

I am considering opening up the air vent holes to allow more air flow through the arms. Summer flying will be the real test!

My PV2+ v3 has flown about 20 batteries worth of flying (so far without incident). I just added a Flytrex Live 3G to it so at least I will be able to find the wreckage in the event the smoke trail wasn't enough to track it to where it crashed.

My friend just got back his PV2+ v3 from DJI, they replaced all four motors and esc's. The problem he had wasn't related to them so apparently DJI is somewhat worried about the earlier built birds. He bought his direct from DJI about 3 weeks after I got mine. I will be putting a Flytrex live 3G in his soon, I will take some pictures of his esc's.

Thx again for the replies

if it has 2312 motors and 2.0 esc you should contact dji and get them to update it.

There is a way to remove the stickers without break them?
I mean red stickers on the Phantom body to open it...

robinb said:
if it has 2312 motors and 2.0 esc you should contact dji and get them to update it.

DJI suppliers are supposedly the first point of contact for such things, and the ones in the UK I have spoken to, bounce this back saying there is nothing wrong with the 2.0 ESCs and that DJI have not issued any notices to them about problems.

There could be a better way to go about it, like contacting DJI directly I guess, but for me it was much less hassle to buy new ESCs and change them myself.

I would jut slice through them with a razor knife rather than try to remove them.

Gentlemen, this might be a good place to ask, but I would love to get some technical documentation on my V+ V3.0, wiring diagrams, schematics, component description and placement, etc. Do any of you know where this type of documentation might be available?

edonovanl said:
I would jut slice through them with a razor knife rather than try to remove them.

Gentlemen, this might be a good place to ask, but I would love to get some technical documentation on my V+ V3.0, wiring diagrams, schematics, component description and placement, etc. Do any of you know where this type of documentation might be available?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28252&start=10

StevenQX said:
There is a way to remove the stickers without break them?
I mean red stickers on the Phantom body to open it...
Just cut them through shell separation level for easy open everytime.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.