Motor Resistance "Feel"

Reaction score
Is there anything that can be said for the "feel" of the motors when turning them manually by hand? For example - three of the motors have a definite resistance when turning them - almost like there is a magnet in them and then it smoothly moves by the slight resistance. However one of motors turns very smoothly with literally no resistance at all and feels very different from the other three. Is this something to worry about? Recently I received a max motor speed reached error. Nothing drastic happened other then the warning and my flight continued uninterrupted with no anomaly.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yep I figured there were. My concerns are that one of my motors doesn't exhibit this same attribute and I recently got a max motor speed reached error. I was just curious if anybody else noticed a different feel among their motors resistance to manually turning them by hand and if this was normal? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

In my personal opinion I would say they should all "feel" the same resistance while turning. I have one my quadcopter that turns a little bit easier and I can see that its resistance is lower because when I shut down the motors propellers spinning from inertia spin this one a little faster then stops. (no power applied to them).

Curious - one of mine is the same.. Not been an issue (as yet!)
Must be a rare problem as there's only myself and Jonah who appear to be observing it!

I’ve noticed the feel of the rotation of the motors is different with the props on and off. Might want to try it both ways and see what the result is.

Don't worry about the 'feel' unless there is a grinding sensation indicative of a bearing issue. Bearings are the only moving part(s).

The motors are mass-produced and will have variations.

The best way to monitor motor/bearing health, short of noise, is post-flight temps. Use your fingers to feel each motor. Your not looking for a specific temp but they should all be similar.

Don't over think this stuff!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1