Motor replacement

Reaction score
I have a phantom 4 with a bad motor, the outside case is slowly sliding up exposing the windings. Is there a way to fix this or how do you replace the motor. I have a motor and I called DJI but they wanted me to send it in. Any help or suggestions.

Oops.. I missed the part where you mentioned you had the motor.

You have to split the shell in order to connect the wires. They need to be soldered. You can just follow the wires back from the motors to where they connect to the ESC's.

Here's a video of a P4 being split in two.... (At the 1:40 point, they show how to remove the motors which is the final step in getting the top and bottom shells apart).

I've been thinking more about this...

You say that the case of the motor is lifting up exposing the coils. If so,you don't need to take the craft apart.

The motor's case is held in place by a single 'C' clip on the bottom of the shaft. Your clip has obviously come off. (They shouldn't, but it's not unheard of).

Just remove the motor as per the video I posted a link to. It's held on by three screws. The 'C' clip may be sitting there under the motor. If so, clip it back on. There's a chance that the clip was never installed. If there is no clip under the motor, just use the one from the good motor you have.

The image below shows where the 'C' clip should be. It fits in a groove on the shaft. And.. if you're flying with the case lifting, DON'T.. With a missing clip, there's nothing but friction holding it on the motor body, It could fly off causing you to crash.

phantom-motor.jpg

Last edited:
And... More thinking..

The case should also held on to the shaft with a set screw. I say should, because I haven't had a P4 motor apart yet. (but I have repaired other brushless motors). If there is one, it should be under the plastic prop mount.

It could be that the bottom clip is still in place and is holding the shaft in place, but the set screw has come loose allowing the case to slide up the shaft....

ok I've taken the motor off and there is a c-clip but it is in place. I've taken the prop mounts off and there is no set screw, I've posted pic's and from what I can tell the shaft has splines and it looks like it might be pressed on. Is that possible?20160927_101317_001.jpg 20160927_101331.jpg 20160927_101342.jpg

ok I've taken the motor off and there is a c-clip but it is in place. I've taken the prop mounts off and there is no set screw, I've posted pic's and from what I can tell the shaft has splines and it looks like it might be pressed on. Is that possible?View attachment 65728 View attachment 65729 View attachment 65730
i have the same issue, i noticed in flight that the drone jerked twice and could see it in the footage so i'm not sure it it hit something in the air. when i brought it down i noticed the outer shell was separating. It appears to be pressed in. Did you replace or repair the motor?

I ended up replacing the motor, as far as I can tell there is no way to secure the case back in place and also I didn't want to take a chance I don't think I could ever trust it again. The best would be to send it in for them to fix its not an easy job if you've never did this before.

I sent mine in for the peace of mind knowing the shell etc is secured properly. I've done plenty of electronics (laptop and cellphone screens) repair myself but dealing with plastic clips etc I'd rather not damage them and have a "gapped" shell where the clips won't hold.

Interestingly because i live in the Caribbean and it's gonna take some time for the motor to reach; i used some slow drying jb weld and and carefully put it around the splines and though the hole of the cover. I did this after cleaning around the spline in the hole. Then i secured it with a zip tie to hold the position. It's been working great so far. As good as New! will replace the motor when i get the time. but so far i'm sure the bond is stronger than stock and it appears to be all balanced.

Hello! Think I have same issue as OP, and didn't want to start a duplicate thread. Before flying today I noticed a gap on one of my motors (photo attached).

Like Jimww, I'm leaning towards replacing the whole motor.

Just wondering if that is still the recommended fix? Thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20