Motor Locks Up

Reaction score
Hi I have a motor that spins freely when the prop is off but when I put propeller on it spins & stops over & over the question I have is should I replace the ESC & motor or just the motor? Thanks for the help

Stops over and over? If you are spinning by hand Installing the prop should make no difference. Are you sure you aren't just feeling the motor cogging (slight resistance as the fixed magnets on the rotor move past the field coils? It is possible a bearing has failed allowing mechanical interference. If this is the case the motor will have axial play and possibly end float that will be obvious when manually manipulated. It is likely only the motor will need replacing.

If the issue is when powered it may be an ESC issue or younhave dropped a phase in the motor. I would replace the ESC first in these circumstances as the most likely culprit.

Last edited:
Reactions: dronesky
Stops over and over? If you are spinning by hand Installing the prop should make no difference. Are you sure you aren't just feeling the motor cogging (slight resistance as the fixed magnets on the rotor move past the field coils? It is possible a bearing has failed allowing mechanical interference. If this is the case the motor will have axial play and possibly end float that will be obvious when manually manipulated. It is likely only the motor will need replacing.

If the issue is when powered it may be an ESC issue or younhave dropped a phase in the motor. I would replace the ESC first in these circumstances as the most likely culprit.
Thank you I guess I should have said when the motors are running & not spinning by hand will try ESC

Reactions: yorlik
Update this was a roached P2 bought off ebay was found in woods camera rusted one motor shaft broken props rotted compass ribbon rotted replaced broken shaft motor bought used motor & ESC then I replaced both motor & ESC with motor that was locking up & test flown think I will name it Phoenix

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj