Motor Extensions

Reaction score
Hey everyone. My phantom is scheduled to arrive today. Needless to say I'm pretty excited to get it and start having fun. I've been researching all sorts of options for it. Phantom 2 shell swap, bigger batteries, FPV and aerial photography, motor upgrades, you name it. I'll be doing several of the upgrades over time.

One kind of neat thing I came across are motor extensions. Here's a link to the site that sells them.

http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/prod ... 60&osCsid=

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with them or has an opinion about them. Being metal I know that would add extra weight to the bird. I don't think I'd put them on without a motor upgrade to something like a T Motor 2214 or even a 2216 900kv.

What's your thoughts pilots?

Sounds like you purchased the wrong quad!

With all your planned upgrades why not just go with a F550 or similar?

ericdes said:
Sounds like you purchased the wrong quad!

With all your planned upgrades why not just go with a F550 or similar?

I figure a lot of folks would ask the same thing. That'll be the next one. I figured I'd start with the phantom, have some fun with it, learn with it, upgrade it. Then when I'm more confident I'll buy a F450 or F550 or maybe one of the other platforms with more carbon fiber than plastic.

I know a couple of people using these. Not really worth it just to get bigger props on. 9" props already fit and are generally the most efficient you will get on a Phantom.

The other guy put 8 of these on his Phantom and is running a sweet X8 config. Not for the faint of heart.

ElGuano said:
I know a couple of people using these. Not really worth it just to get bigger props on. 9" props already fit and are generally the most efficient you will get on a Phantom.

The other guy put 8 of these on his Phantom and is running a sweet X8 config. Not for the faint of heart.

Wow! X8 motors on a phantom. That's gotta be one powerful bird there! I'm assuming they're set up in a push pull sort of fashion. Just watched a X8 phantom on youtube, picking up over 4 pounds.

12-21-2013-91204-AM.jpg

Way too hardcore for me, but damned impressive.

Reno^2, I'd suggest holding off on the motor extensions, at least for now. Unless you have a real need to run 10" props (or want to take it to the level of that X4 mod), take some time to get familiar with the stock wheelbase and handling before deciding if the extensions will add any real value to your Phantom. If a 450 is already on your roadmap anyway, you'll probably get more out of using the T-motors you mentioned on that rather than on the Phantom.

However, if you're determined to take roads less travelled, here's another motor you might consider trying on the Phantom: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 45496.html

I've been waiting to see how those work on a Phantom, so if you're itching to try something different you're welcome to be the guinea pig ;)

OI Photography said:
Reno^2, I'd suggest holding off on the motor extensions, at least for now. Unless you have a real need to run 10" props (or want to take it to the level of that X4 mod), take some time to get familiar with the stock wheelbase and handling before deciding if the extensions will add any real value to your Phantom. If a 450 is already on your roadmap anyway, you'll probably get more out of using the T-motors you mentioned on that rather than on the Phantom.

However, if you're determined to take roads less travelled, here's another motor you might consider trying on the Phantom: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 45496.html

I've been waiting to see how those work on a Phantom, so if you're itching to try something different you're welcome to be the guinea pig ;)

Sounds like good advice on holding off on the motor extensions. Thanks. I figure the first thing I'll do to the stock motors is replace the bearings, balance the motors and props. Saw a nifty video on youtube on how to balance the motors with the tube from an automatic center punch from home depot. I've got a dubro balancer I got for balancing the wheels on my 1/5 rc truck, but the wheels are so darn big I can't use it. I might as well put it to good use with the phantom. Thanks for the link to those sunnysky motors. They've got some impressive specs for thrust. I may just be the guinea pig for you.

Don't forget to get a self tightening balancing rod for the props.
A guy here sells them.

RenoReno said:
OI Photography said:

Sounds like good advice on holding off on the motor extensions. Thanks. I figure the first thing I'll do to the stock motors is replace the bearings, balance the motors and props. Saw a nifty video on youtube on how to balance the motors with the tube from an automatic center punch from home depot. I've got a dubro balancer I got for balancing the wheels on my 1/5 rc truck, but the wheels are so darn big I can't use it. I might as well put it to good use with the phantom. Thanks for the link to those sunnysky motors. They've got some impressive specs for thrust. I may just be the guinea pig for you.

My pleasure...at that price, I'm sure I'll try them eventually if you don't. I have some different SunnySky motors on my 550 and they give tremendous value for the cost. Even if they don't work any real magic on the Phantom, they're no more expensive than a stock set of backup motors, which I like to have on hand anyway.

Like ericdes mentioned you'll need a special balancing rod for the dubro if you don't have one already. This thread has info on options: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9085

Last few pages have pics of the one (and by one I mean pair) Atlantahobby sells now. Would be better as a single longer rod with cross-threaded ends (like their site shows), but it's a cheap and quick option for those in the US.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj