Motor - about to replace but now seems fine. Go ahead anyway?

Reaction score
Hi
Was flying my P3P recently and had a couple of bouncy landings where it tipped to the side. Unfortunately prop guards weren't on (they will always be in the future). All seemed well despite this, but once home, twisting one of the pops I heard a metallic sound. This was reproducible with just small spins and was quite loud. The motor for the other prop that stalled on the ground also made the same sound on a couple of spins but then was fine. Other people's experiences suggested this was bearings so rather than take chances I bought a couple of motors and a pair of blades ready to replace.

I've got as far as taking the top off, but the last few times I've spun the motors by hand they've not made any bearing noises at all and feel identical resistance wise as the other two. I can easily replace and as I've done the hardest part in getting the top off, I suppose I might as well complete the job, but I'm wondering whether in all probability the ones I'm about to replace are actually fine after all. There was very definitely an issue with one of them, but can the bearings sort themselves out so to speak so that they're now no more likely to be a future problem than any other motor?

What would you do at this point?

I'd change them... you've heard it yourself that they had suffered some kind of damage... I wouldn't take the chance to be honest. As you say, you've bought the motors and took the top off... it'd be a shame to lose it at some point to a bad motor.

If u get a small piece of metal in the motor u have to change it. The magnet in the motor will hold it. If it is just right it will lock up the motor. Dirt is anther thing. U could blow out dirt. I use a very powerful magnifying glass to look inside. Always error on the side of caution. Replace. If u are not comfortable soldering on the MB, u could splice the wires. I use solder and shrink tubing. .

Thanks for the replies. Replacing today. Soldering the MB should be fine and my thermaltronics metcal clone makes soldering a joy but I'm splicing and heatshrinking anyway for least risk and ease. It seemed odd to me that the P3 tipped on landing when it had never done so before, and I'm sure I didn't do a CSC once it was down. Should have had the propguards on. Another lesson learnt!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl