Moron flys his drone over Vancouver airport.

Reaction score
http://bit.ly/TOHZpj

Becoming a daily issue now. Just a matter of time before they make this hobby illegal with the amount of morons doing this sort of thing!!

Although, the video attached in the article is pretty awesome, this guy clearly has no regard for the safety of people. A fly away incident into this aircraft could have catastrophic results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Moron flys his drone over Vancouver airport.

What an idiot... I also think that drone flyers flying in controlled airspace (too high) are also idiots. Its too late when you see an aircraft heading your way just below the speed of 1 mach.

Hopefully someone will develop an EMP device that can drop these drones down from the air.

I thought Phantom II's already can't fly in controlled space areas?

Yes, CYVR should be in controlled zone...unless the person is flying old firmware...

Shows how easy it is to fly one of these if a brainless moron like that can do something so stupid !!

ffs :evil:

Phantoms cannot fly in Ground Path in controlled spaces but can manually.

BamaDave said:
Phantoms cannot fly in Ground Path in controlled spaces but can manually.

If they have pre 3.0 firmware or if they are set to fly manually. And even then I'm not sure (in manual mode with FW 3.0 and newer) if they do if the GPS is still on.

Technically, he was not flying over the runway or even the airport.
In my opinion, not even that close to be a real threat to the people carrying aircraft.
Hell, go to any major airport where planes land by the minute and you are bound to see two land side by side eventually.

Ever hear of Oshkosh Wisconsin?
For two weeks out of the year, the airport becomes the world's busiest airport as flyers land for the annual event.
You call the tower for instructions when you first approach. They advise you where to line up in the crowd.
Traffic is so busy there is no two-way radio communication during landing. You respond by tilting your wings.

So yeah, you can be properly six miles from the major airport flying legally and all of a sudden here comes a jumbo jet.
Are you to be held irresponsible because YOU do not know where the planes fly?
I'm not suggesting the guy was totally wrong. As I do not have all of the facts about this.

Suwaneeguy said:
In my opinion, not even that close to be a real threat to the people carrying aircraft.
Hell, go to any major airport where planes land by the minute and you are bound to see two land side by side eventually.

For two weeks out of the year, the airport becomes the world's busiest airport as flyers land for the annual event.
You call the tower for instructions when you first approach. They advise you where to line up in the crowd.
Traffic is so busy there is no two-way radio communication during landing. You respond by tilting your wings.

So yeah, you can be properly six miles from the major airport flying legally and all of a sudden here comes a jumbo jet.
I'm not suggesting the guy was totally wrong. As I do not have all of the facts about this.

Are you saying this to be funny?

Trained and licensed pilots under coordinated approach control in controlled airspace vs. a knucklehead with an RC toy. Do you not see just a tiny little difference? Do you think said knucklehead was monitoring TRACON and had studied the approach plates or even knew what either of those are? Yeah, I think not. If you purposefully fly your RC into controlled airspace in or immediately adjacent to ongoing A/C activity, you should be subject to negligent endangerment. Plain and simple.

ianwood said:
Suwaneeguy said:

Are you saying this to be funny?

Trained and licensed pilots under coordinated approach control in controlled airspace vs. a knucklehead with an RC toy. Do you not see just a tiny little difference? Do you think said knucklehead was monitoring TRACON and had studied the approach plates or even knew what either of those are? Yeah, I think not. If you purposefully fly your RC into controlled airspace in or immediately adjacent to ongoing A/C activity, you should be subject to negligent endangerment. Plain and simple.

Not only that, but the sheer amount of planning that goes on at the Oshkosh event is EXTREME to put it mildly. You have to slot yourself in for landings, and Oshkosh goes into another gear for this. They use taxiways for runways, they color code approaches and departures.

To say that they take safety at the Oshkosh event seriously is the understatement of the millenium.

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Suwaneeguy said:

At a quick glance he is in potential conflict with traffic on at least one standard terminal arrival and possibly the visual approach procedure for runway 26l and 26r. Someone more current may correct me but either way he's in a very awkward position for ATC, particularly if they wanted an aircraft on final approach to go around to the north of the airport for some reason. He's also inside class b airspace, it's not designated as such just for a laugh and compliance with the regulations isn't up for debate.

Besides, I doubt the control tower could see a Phantom waggle it's wings...but then again the Phantom operator probably didn't have a radio to be able to take ATC instructions any way.

ARE YOU SERIOUS !!!!

Lol how can you even compare the airports traffic in Oshkosh, which is definitely not the "world's busiest airport" to this situation? I agree its stupid to purposely fly a RC craft near a airport. Do you realize the consequences if your bird hit an engine? Even if the plane had a successful landing you would still be crucified. You are joking right?

"Are you to be held irresponsible because YOU do not know where the planes fly?"

Ugh yes you should be held responsible.. sorry to come across as an ******* but the minute an RC hits a plane countries will start flat out banning the use completely.

So I guess only quadcopters aka drones have flown in restricted areas and in the past 70 years R/C airplanes have not. Surely the news would have reported it if an R/C airplane did. Why would the odds of a quadcopter/drone hitting a plane be higher than that of an R/C airplane, glider, helicopter? The media doesn't seem to pick up on this.

J.

JWarren said:
So I guess only quadcopters aka drones have flown in restricted areas and in the past 70 years R/C airplanes have not. Surely the news would have reported it if an R/C airplane did. Why would the odds of a quadcopter/drone hitting a plane be higher than that of an R/C airplane, glider, helicopter? The media doesn't seem to pick up on this.

J.

If there were regular RC planes doing this in the past, it was probably very rare. Remember, we're dealing with a situation where the cost of the tech and our hobby has decreased to the point where KIDS are being given these for Christmas. Not to mention the increased capability. In the past, it was quite an investment for a lot of us to get in to RC flying, so we were mindful of what we did with our equipment.

Suwaneeguy said:

To me it looks too close, it shouldn't be there, period.
When you are at 6 miles from an airport, you 're safe, and the aircrafts around are as well. There are very few chances to meet a 747 in your 400 ft hi authorised playground.
I have to admit I love the pan on this approaching aircraft....

It just a matter of time that a dumb *** brings down something..doesnt have to be a commercial liner, then the media runs with it, then we are all fu..ed!!!! THERES PLENTY OF OTHER PLACES TO FLY THEN AROUND AN AIRPORT!!! GEEEZ PEEPS!!!

Best story of Oshkosh...
840 million dollar B-2 stealth bomber decided to make a trial run in a real world environment. It was cleared by the tower to departure control, who said "Ah-h, roger Northrop B2. RADAR Contact.:...:)
https://books.google.com/books?id=Z...ower to B2 bomber i have you on radar&f=false

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj